Natalia Tena Talks Tonks in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Script with LA Times

Tena Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 08, 2009, 10:05 PM

Actress Natalia Tena (Tonks) is the subject of a new interview from LA Times blog Hero Complex.  In this interview, the actress speaks of her upcoming role in the Half-Blood Prince film, as well as her upcoming work on the final two Deathly Hallows films.  Noting that she is set to start filming Part One of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows next month, she describes her reaction to first reading the script for the film.  Quoteage:

"I’ve read Part One and it’s brilliant, I wasn’t so sure about the last movie but this one I was like, “Yeah, they got it spot on.” I’m re-reading the book right now. I started having insane dreams again. Whenever I start a Potter film, I get these dreams. The last dream I had I was in a war and the sky was blotted with broomsticks and I couldn’t find my wand. It was so intense. I always have mental, intense, war wizard dreams when I’m doing the films."
Speaking further in regards to the script for the final films, Miss Tena describes her feelings about the quality of the work by saying "I like the last because it’s trial times. You really get a sense of what everyone is worth. There’s a point where Ron leaves and I was like, “Wow, Ron actually isn’t up for it for a bit.” Also, I really got a sense in the script that while Harry is important, it’s his mates that do a lot.  Actually, if he didn’t have these two mates he really wouldn’t be winning. He needs everyone to believe. It’s quite an interesting concept because then you ask, well, is it interchangeable? Could it be anyone else that could have been the Chosen One?"

The actress continues, speaking of her reaction upon first reading the final book by saying she found it "very intense."
"Suddenly you see my parents in the book and my mom is supposed to look exactly like Bellatrix. It was intense. And I love the fact that Tonks is pregnant. That she got married in the middle of all this chaos. It’s like she thought it would be a really good idea to get married and get pregnant and keep fighting."
The interview then turns to discussion of filming the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  On this subject, Miss Tena gives her thoughts on the Attack on the Burrow scene that was added to the film.
"I think they wanted to keep Tonks in it somehow. In the book, she’s very depressed all the way through until she finally she gets with Lupin, that’s when she gets her normal hair color back. In the film, they just had me looking very strange with Lupin and that’s why her hair is a bit dark [instead of her favorite pink] and short, though they don’t explain it. In “Half-Blood Prince,” a lot was edited, and actually I thought a lot of stuff was added in unnecessarily. But I haven’t seen the film yet, so for all I know it works out well in the end."
She goes on to note that many of the stunts she wanted to do herself, saying, "They wanted to get stunt doubles and I was like, “No, I want to jump through fire!” Sometimes you do feel a bit stupid. I remember standing with David Thewlis [who plays Lupin], and it’s 3 in the morning, and going, “Yeah, David, fight invisible fire snakes.” It’s like basically dancing to nothing. You do feel a bit stupid at times, but it’s funny."

The complete interview with actress Natalia Tena can be read over on the LA Times website.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince arrives in theaters July 15th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Tena Interviews News

Hrpetersam_thumb

Wizard War Dreams!!
She’s so into it! Great!!

Posted by Miss Dracothan on July 09, 2009, 07:39 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

she’s so awesome! the coolest person ever! she dreams about being in a wizard war? thats just.. so awesome!

Posted by Matea on July 09, 2009, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Great interview! She is such a good Tonks. Too bad she doesn’t have more scenes but at least we get to see her.

Posted by beewell on July 09, 2009, 09:32 AM report to moderator
4164_73882307837_809377837_1651682_7105008_n_thumb
1965 Points

I love the character of Tonks and I love Natalia Tena who plays her. Its deff a shame they cut some of the scenes out. I love the Lupin and Tonks romance in the books!

Posted by NymphadoraMae on July 09, 2009, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

She is a laugh!

Posted by HattFerg on July 09, 2009, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

lol!! Harry Potter dreams!!!!!!!! I often hav Harry Potter dreams(which r v intellectual), Twilight dreams (they r guuuud :D) and Lord of the Rings dreams(which r nightmares). I dont often get these but when i get them i remember them!!

Kc_lucius1_thumb

I love that she dreams about wands and brooms lol!!

Posted by KC Nox on July 11, 2009, 12:17 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I do wish that Nat was given more screen time in HBP, i’m glad that she likes playing Tonks! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 21, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
4164_73882307837_809377837_1651682_7105008_n_thumb
1965 Points

Natalia’s awesome for Tonks. She seems so lovely. Pity she doesnt get a bigger role in HBP!

Posted by NymphadoraMae on August 05, 2009, 03:20 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

Natalia Tena is my favourite Harry Potter female actress. She’s awesome. I totally agree with her about too much being cut and keeping unnecessary stuff in the Half-Blood Prince. I really hope that means there is more Tonks stuff in the deleted scenes, I absolutely love her. Can’t wait to see Natalia in the 7th!

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 13, 2009, 10:31 AM report to moderator

"You can exist without your soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no... anything. There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just -- exist. As an empty shell. And your sou