Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

Ooh, I love James McAvoy!! :D

And I can understand Dan wanting a break from fantasy films for awhile. :)

Posted by Mera004 on August 18, 2009, 11:23 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

It goes the other way too, doesn’t it? I seem to recall reading that before Dumbledore was cast, either originally or after Richard Harris’ death, the wonderful Sir Ian McKellen was asked to play Dumbledore.. And he declined to take the part, saying that he has enough trouble living up to one great wizard, let alone two.

As much as I love Dan as Harry (and think he is Harry, in a way), as much as I love his involvement in these films and this fandom, and as devastated I get when I think that the end is near, I can totally understand why he wants to steer clear of fantasy after the DH films are finished. Playing someone as iconic as The Boy Who Lived for 10+ years is enough to make anyone afraid of being typecast.

Posted by MischiefManaged on August 18, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

lol.. he will be adorable as a hobbit…

lol.. he will be adorable as a hobbit…i still remember Frodo.. lol…

Posted by alegria35 on August 18, 2009, 11:32 AM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

i agree. who would want to be a hobbit?

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on August 18, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

@MischiefManaged… he had already done his part of not being typecasted as Harry, he accepted Equus at Westend, and reprised it in Broadway. And he is brillian in “December Boys”.

He will be a great actor, I know it. He just lack the heigh though. I think it’s time he takes some of them growth balls..

Posted by alegria35 on August 18, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I certainly do agree with him that James McAvoy would be perfect for such a role!

Posted by Kirk on August 18, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Yuleball29wd_thumb

Dan is so cool :)

Posted by Half-blood Princess on August 18, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator

Ah, well that was nice of Daniel Radcliffe to say there at the end I feel. Hope he does well in future films, whatever they may be.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 18, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

He now has the luxury to sit back and do things that are meaningful to him…it’s not like he’s going to “work” because he’ll need to pay the bills! Good for him. Leaky friends have so much love for Dan…I wonder if he’s got an account here just to check in on what people are saying about him! Maybe???

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on August 18, 2009, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

I heard he’s gonna be Jason in a new Friday The 13th sequel. Talk about typecasting!

Posted by Joost on August 18, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

lol, I giggled throughout the entire thing! I don’t think LotR fans would want him in the Hobbit either. O_o

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on August 18, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Definitely NOT a Hobbit!

Posted by Won_Two on August 18, 2009, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Bringonbluesky_108-3copy_thumb

It’s understandable why he doesn’t want to do it and I for one would find it weird.

Posted by anisia on August 18, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

Yeah, I think he’s probably done with the whole fantasy genre. Can’t blame him! :-D

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on August 18, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

well, i’m not a dan fan…or a hobbit fan, actually. but I wouldn’t want to see him in anything similar to harry potter, not only because he’ll be typecast but because i would see that as a betrayal – i shouldn’t do, but i would.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on August 18, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator

[Hermione] pulled Ron's predictions toward her.[br]"Not going to have a very good month, are you?" she said sardonically as Crookshanks curled up in her lap.[br]"Ah well, at least I'm forewarned," Ron yawned.[br]"You seem to be drowning twice," said Hermi

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014