Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

2640_1106109818241_1391663961_305047_8301715_n_thumb

Funny, James McAvoy was considered for Biblo Baggins a long time ago.

Posted by hrslvr529 on August 19, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I think Dan wants to play some serious roles, but he would make a good hobbit!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on August 19, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Haha thats funny James would make a good hobbit.

Posted by The Nerd on August 19, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

i don’t blame him for not wanting to be typecast

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on August 19, 2009, 08:47 PM report to moderator

i think they both would do good in the move

Posted by Albus Marcos Dumbledore on August 19, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator

I am glad Dan is looking forward to doing something out side the box. He will do well in anything he takes on.

Posted by HGROSS44 on August 19, 2009, 11:24 PM report to moderator
H-r_thumb

Good. Much as I love Dan, I can’t see him in the Hobbit and that would give people the excuse to typecast him mercilessly even if he does do other roles.

Posted by fantasylover12001 on August 20, 2009, 01:10 AM report to moderator
200px-elder_wand_thumb

funny.

Posted by yr.yasindu"ROAR" on August 20, 2009, 02:34 AM report to moderator
Avatarrockthesoul057

That would be funny if Dan became a hobbit, but I have to agree, James McAvoy would be perfect!

Posted by Britski on August 20, 2009, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Hobbits need to be slightly chubby too.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 20, 2009, 01:44 PM report to moderator
181535_1649442835222_1211510867_31618841_6686001_n_thumb

Well I can totally see that because Dan doesn’t want to remain typecast to only that type of movie! As an aspiring actress, I know that it is every actor’s nightmare (almost every actor’s nightmare) to be typecast in one type of genre or defined for the rest of your career by one specific role. With movies like ‘Potter’ you run the risk of being forever known as ‘That Potter Kid’, which may be one reason he jumped at the chance to do Equis and other things.

A perfect example is Mark Hamill, best known for his portrayal of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars! After Star Wars he was too well known as Luke that he hasn’t really done anything else big and has taken to doing tons of voice acting (he’s been in at least 2 Scooby Doo movies and a handful of cartoon TV shows). I’m glad the Dan wants to avoid the same type of label.

Posted by  HeartbreakDX  on August 20, 2009, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

HAHAHAHA this news made me laugh. And James McAvoy!?? He’s my favorite actor i love him! would want to see him play tho. he would be cute as a hobbit!

Posted by Shalanarah on August 20, 2009, 10:52 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

lol, dan…seriously tho, that would be tacky. he’s smart to step away from the fantasy stuff

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on August 21, 2009, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

Hahahahah Sue, nice title ^^
And yeah, I can see how Dan doesn’t want to be any kind of wizarding creature anymore =P

Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Lol, when I saw the title, I was like, what? I’ve never heard of The Hobbit.. anyway, I think I’m glad he’s not playing a wizard. After all, isn’t 10+ years enough for one person?

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on August 22, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator

Harry knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons, and the worst of it was that a very small, unbiased part of him knew that they had good reason: Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that