PotterCast 203: Potter Got Smarter

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
September 02, 2009, 09:52 PM

The 203rd episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, is now online for this week with the debut of Potter Pundits, a new segment featuring a scholarly, yet entertaining, look at themes and symbolism in the Harry Potter novels.  Sue's News kicks off this episode with the rundown on the latest in Potter news, including Dan Radcliffe's Hobbit ambitions... or lack thereof, Harry Potter film set DVDs, Deathly Hallows filming, updates on JKRowling.com, and lots more.  The second part of episode five of the Acting Troupe follows the news, with the continuing story of Albus Severus during his time at Hogwarts.  Princely Pieces returns with more on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film.  The PotterCasters go through the first moments of the film, starting from the first shot of Dumbledore through Harry's cafe experience.  Next, we have for you the first discussion with our Potter Pundits: Travis Prinzi, James W. Thomas, and John Granger.  In this new segment, we get to meet our Pundits and reveal the kind of discussions this segment will feature in future episodes.  Finally, the show wraps up with a totally awesome surprise, some Harry Potter conference news, LeakyCon 2011 updates, LeakyCon Live Album release details, and much more!

A big thank you goes out to Jason Munday from the Ministry of Magic for creating our new intro music!

As a reminder, the LeakyCon DVD, which will be available to pre-order soon, will also include all wizard rock performances from our conference.  If you like live wizard rock, be sure to reserve your copy of the upcoming LeakyCon Live Album of the wizard rock live shows at our LeakyCon 2009 conference.  To listen, just hit the "Play" button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

"Potter Got Smarter"
  • It's year five!
  • The meaning of changes to JKRowling.com.
  • Half-Blood Bits... or Princely Pieces!
  • Acting Troupe Episode Five, Part Two!
  • Premiere of Potter Pundits!
  • A Totally Awesome Wrap Up!
  • LeakyCon 2011 news and updates.
  • LeakyCon 2009 Live Album updates!
  • Follow our LeakyCon 2011 Twitter and become a fan on Facebook!
  • Reserve your copy of the LeakyCon Live Album now!
RT: 72:42

Also, special thanks to our ever-vigilant UStream Mods for monitoring the live PotterCast recordings.

LeakyCon 2011: A Harry Potter Conference in Orlando!
“Harry, A History” Website
Jingle Spells 2
PotterCast Vlogs
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download.

Low-band Direct download.

Remember you don't need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Alison_thumb

Omg, I am so excited for John Granger, Travis Prinzi and James W. Thomas. I have all of their books, and they’re so well done. Anybody who hasn’t listened to their podcasts (Travis has a podcats at hogshead.org, some which include interviews with Granger and Thomas) or read their books are in for a real treat.

And much more reading. Because really, that’s at the heart of this fandom. Love of books. :)

Posted by Alison on September 03, 2009, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

Just started listening! The new intro in SO awesome! :)

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on September 03, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Lovegood2_thumb

Go potter cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love ya!

Posted by Loveforluna on September 03, 2009, 06:23 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

i love pottercast!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Rowling Stones on September 03, 2009, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Angel_reader_chagall_thumb

I love the new segment. These books really do offer up so much food for careful, thoughtful, academic discussion, and they really do get to be MORE fun (not less) in the course of those discussions. The pundits’ off-the-cuff list of future discussion topics had me drooling. (I hope all three of them — or at least the two who are less familiar with whatever topic they choose — will have time to do at least a little bit (30 minutes?) of preparation before the next installment. In-depth discussions always benefit from careful and directed attention to the text!) Anyway, I can’t wait for the next one. And a big thank-you, Pottercast, for doing this!

P.S. I love how the one guy says something like “We want to get into a discussion at a deeper level than, um — ‘Do you like Michael Gambon’s portrayal of Albus Dumbledore?’” And the other two guys are like “No.” :p

P.P.S. I do realize that wonderful academic discussions of HP go on in the Leaky Lounge. I love the Leaky Lounge — too much! (Addictive behavior, anyone?) Ever since I weaned myself off of using it obsessively, I’ve been afraid to go back. I’m hoping that these controlled, weekly doses will fill that void. :)

Posted by Arithmancer on September 03, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

Just listened to the podcast. The Potter Pundits segment was fantastic – I absolutely loved it. Really looking forward to hearing more from those guys! =D

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on September 03, 2009, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Have_you_seen_this_man_2_thumb

I can’t wait to listen!

Posted by clashcityrocker13 on September 03, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator
Water_lilies_thumb

Yay, this is my first time listening to a pottercast (I know I’ve been meaning to, but never have).

Posted by sgreeter8888 on September 03, 2009, 09:17 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

YAY! I’m downloading it now… can’t wait to hear it!! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on September 03, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator

Great podcast! I do disagree about the HBP coffee shop scene (I think it totally undermines what they tried to do in the first two scenes), but nonetheless, great show! And, yes, it was Trafalgar Square.

The new Pundits seem interesting, though at least one of them appears to be intent upon turning many elements of the books into euphemisms. Here’s hoping they don’t have to be reminded every week that “a wand is just a wand…”

Posted by Jillxoxo on September 03, 2009, 10:30 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Jillxoxo, the euphemisms bit was a bit of an inside joke. I think for a first episode they were just trying to ratchet up interest. I know & trust these guys to put on a show that’s both entertaining but also serious about the books & their meaning.

Posted by vespasian68967 on September 04, 2009, 02:01 AM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

OUUUU! POTTER PUNDITS……FANTASTIC! This is so exciting….can’t wait to hear the next pundit session!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on September 04, 2009, 03:18 AM report to moderator
____73_thumb

hahahahahahahaha

Posted by wing on September 04, 2009, 07:26 AM report to moderator
Untitled_thumb

year five!! Lets hope it never ends, especially not after 7 years!

Posted by TheGriff [ROAR!] on September 04, 2009, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I am pretty sure that the digital scan for the “7 Potters” scene will just be used for the transformation… I think it is wayyy more expensive to digitally animate the scene than it would be to film dan 7 times. It will be fun to see Dan playing Hermione playing Harry, etc. Just like watching Helena play Hermione playing Bella. I think that the technology to integrate 7 of Dan’s performances with proper depth, eye contact etc, is pretty mature, and works very well. I’m with you Frak… don’t mess with what works!

Posted by Caracticus on September 04, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Simply fabulous," he whispered, indicating the automatic ticket machines. "Wonderfully ingenious."[br]"They're out of order," said Harry, pointing at the sign.[br]"Yes, but even so..." said Mr. Weasley, beaming fondly at them.