Half-Blood Prince DVD Update: VOD Delayed Until December 15th; Several International Releases in November

Home Video / DVD
September 29, 2009, 09:13 PM

Several pieces of news relating to the anticipated release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on DVD. First, Video Business is reporting tonight that while the DVD will be available on December 8th as announced previously, WB is delaying the release of the Video on Demand. The magazine reports that WB will delay the VOD until December 15th, citing a Warner Home Video rep who said HBP “ 'will be held back a week [on VOD] in an effort to further enhance the extraordinary sell-through possibility' of the DVD, calling Potter a unique property. He stressed the delay wasn’t being done out of fear of hurting potential Potter disc sales, but rather in an attempt to drive even bigger sales."

On a related note, as reported earlier, Germany will have the DVD released far earlier than we here in the US, as they will join France in seeing the Half-Blood Prince release in November, with France to see it November 18th, Australia on November 18th, and then Germany on November 20. Amazon Germany is now offering fans a lovely pin set with the purchase of the DVD (seen here in our galleries), and has a special book that will house the Years 1-6 set. Like those in France, fans in Germany will also have the chance to purchase that special Hogwarts Castle case with the set of Harry Potter DVDs, seen here. No word yet if the Hogwarts set will be available in the US. UPDATE: Alejandro from Bloghogwarts kindly emailed to let us know that the DVD will be released in Spain on November 24th, and Mexico will see the Half-Blood Prince released on December 5th.

Finally, pre-orders for those in Australia are also available for the Ultimate Collectors Editions, which will also be released in that country on November 18th. As reported previously the UK will see HBP on Dec 7th, with the US to see the HBP and Collectors Editions on Dec 8th.
More when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Home Video / DVD News

Burtondeppavvie_thumb

So, the UK realease is the same as the US, right?

Posted by Linnyish on September 29, 2009, 09:21 PM report to moderator
Hp6_icon2_96x96_thumb

Doesn’t matter to me I’m not buying another Harry Potter movie until the whole set comes out

Posted by Traci on September 29, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Still, its odd that Amazon.com US has started taking pre-orders for the two Ultimate collections …but not yet for the HBP.

Posted by budb on September 29, 2009, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Hbp_movie_thumb

My goodness, I didn’t read the headline too carefully and almost went a little crazy at what I thought was WB pushing back the regular DVD release. I still wish I could be one of the lucky people getting HBP in November, but I suppose we get the books before them so it’s only fair :) Just can’t wait for December

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on September 29, 2009, 09:44 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

LOVE the Hogwarts castle case but I wish they would sell it separately from the 106 years of DVD’s. Who doesn’t have them already? And now with the ultimate collections, too! WB…castle only!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on September 29, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Too funny…1-6 not 106 :)

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on September 29, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Money makes the world go round…

Posted by Won_Two on September 29, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

@Blatcher(ROAR) I so thought that too! I was like OMG, NO! NO MORE DELAYS! But Thank Godric I just read wrong! :)

Posted by Christine on September 29, 2009, 10:37 PM report to moderator
Starship_thumb

i know i almost went krazy!hehe cant wait for december! =)

Posted by NaRgLeS.WuZz.H3r3(: {Roar} on September 29, 2009, 10:48 PM report to moderator
Hp_pic_of_me_thumb

hahaha Ive never heard that before, “thank godric” i will be using that more often now! yea i thought they were gonna delay the dvd, i almost went nuts

Posted by Ruby Hagrid {WBM} on September 29, 2009, 10:48 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

I hope all Latin American countries get it at the same time, even though I doubt it, HBP came out a month later over here, I can only imagine the DVD.

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on September 29, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Image

MUST GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by magicmaniac on September 29, 2009, 11:05 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

Either way, I’m getting it no matter what date they are released yay!

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on September 29, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Whatever they do, I want my DVD!

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on September 30, 2009, 12:29 AM report to moderator
Potter07_thumb

Damn! I want those pins and the Hogwarts case!! I want those! I hope the US version comes along with it, I don’t care how much it’ll cost. Lol. But mostly I just really want the DVD. :)

Posted by accioangela on September 30, 2009, 01:06 AM report to moderator

She, Harry, and Ron watched George projectile-vomit into the bucket, gulp down the rest of the chew, and straighten up, beaming with his arms wide to protracted applause.