Confirmed: Alexandre Desplat to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Film

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Update: This morning, we received word from a number of readers regarding a rumor composer Alexandre Desplat was set to score the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  We can now report this rumor is indeed true, thanks to our friends at MuggleNet who were able to validate that this piece of news was confirmed by Mr. Desplat's agent.

FilmScoreMonthy is reporting that composer Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  Describing the 48 year old composer an "overnight sensation that took decades to occur," the feature on the 2009 Top Forty Composer Countdown list includes the first part of the final Potter film as one of this upcoming projects.  The profile notes:
He has become the director-of-choice for many of the world's most acclaimed directors, including Fincher, Stephen Frears, Terence Malick and Roman Polanski, and has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1, A Prophet, The Special Relationship, Tamara Drewe, The Tree of Life
As noted on Mr. Desplat's official website, his previous work includes "Julie and Julia," "New Moon," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "The Golden Compass."

While this is indeed exciting news, we have yet to receive official word on a role for Mr. Desplat in the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film and will update you as soon as we do.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest on this "Deathly Hallows" news and more.

Many thanks to Erna, Jon, and Cellar Door for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Water_lilies_thumb

I wonder why John Williams didn’t return. With new music and no time spent at Hogwarts, this film may feel very little like Harry Potter. I hope that the music doesn’t change drastically so that it at least still feels like a Potter film.

Posted by sgreeter8888 on January 19, 2010, 02:45 PM report to moderator

I was hoping for the rumored John Williams; there is such an incredible difference. If not, Patrick Doyle’s score for GOF was impressive. Hooper’s scores, while less sophisticated, are still impressive and seeing that he has done the past two, I think continuity should have been placed higher on the list.
Hans Zimmer (who is phenomenal – overdone, but phenomenal) would have been a better choice.

Disappointing. If I, a soundtrack aficionado has never heard of this fellow, I have little faith.
Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
Hopefully.

Posted by Amy Marie on January 19, 2010, 02:57 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I liked Hooper & HBP but I still have a sentimental spot for Williams

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on January 19, 2010, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Th_hufflepuff2_thumb

I wish Williams would compose the score, but hopefully whoever does compose it is good.

Posted by lunalovegood97 on January 19, 2010, 03:11 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Maybe they will give DH-2 to Al Yankovic…

Posted by Won_Two on January 19, 2010, 03:11 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

verrry cool

Posted by alicia00 on January 19, 2010, 03:28 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I thought Willaims was going to score both part 1 and 2. I didnt care for Jon Hoppers music in HBP, it totally lost the magic of the films. Even though DH is going to be “darker” (yet again) it should have the same feeling as the movies before it. And what will we di with no Hegwigs Theme again?

Posted by LunaLuver on January 19, 2010, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

hmm,like everyone else i was hoping (and am still hoping LOL XD) that Williams would return for DH,also i’d be glad to have Doyle,the GoF soundtrack was amazing, imo.
Not familiar with this guy.The fact that he’s involved in twilight,is prob. not on the plus side,though.

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on January 19, 2010, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

it’s Nicholas hooper, guys, not John hooper. and his scores were way too simplistic for HP. hbp was okay, but it made me miss j. Williams. the fact of the matter is that JW is the only guy who could blend the old with the new perfectly enough. that’s why POA is so brilliant, you could hear how inspired he was by the fresh take on the franchise. think what he could do with a Yates film- certainly it would help to smooth out David yates’ love of continuity-ignorant editing.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on January 19, 2010, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Hiddenavvy_thumb

I have for fingers crossed for John Williams’ return. :)

Posted by wordsthatrhyme on January 19, 2010, 04:13 PM report to moderator

I like the idea of having new composers, particularly Desplat. I like John Williams, but my favorite is still Nicholas Hooper. Desplat definitely has done quieter, more meaningful scores, particularly with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Plus, he’s scored The Queen, which was top-notch.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on January 19, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I will take this claim with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation with regard to the hiring of a composer from Warner Brothers. That said, if this does happen to a credible report, then I am pleased: Mr. Desplat certainly has created fine musical scores to accompany many films and he could definitely bring something to the table.

Posted by Kirk on January 19, 2010, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

ahhhh! mugglenet is confirming this via desplat’s agent! John Williams, just know I love you.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on January 19, 2010, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

Nothing against any of these other composers, but I really was hoping for JOHN WILLIAMS to come full circle and return with some magical music!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on January 19, 2010, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Poesy_-_copie_thumb

Oh I love him! I thought I only wanted John Williams but now, I’m thinking why not. I loved his work on Benjamin Button and Girl with a pearl earring! So I’m really curious on what he would do with a HP movie.

Posted by Hepburn on January 19, 2010, 05:06 PM report to moderator

"Why do they have to move in packs?" Harry asked Ron as a dozen or so girls walked past them, sniggering and staring at Harry. "How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"[br]"Lasso one?" Ron suggested.