Confirmed: Alexandre Desplat to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Film

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Update: This morning, we received word from a number of readers regarding a rumor composer Alexandre Desplat was set to score the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  We can now report this rumor is indeed true, thanks to our friends at MuggleNet who were able to validate that this piece of news was confirmed by Mr. Desplat's agent.

FilmScoreMonthy is reporting that composer Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  Describing the 48 year old composer an "overnight sensation that took decades to occur," the feature on the 2009 Top Forty Composer Countdown list includes the first part of the final Potter film as one of this upcoming projects.  The profile notes:
He has become the director-of-choice for many of the world's most acclaimed directors, including Fincher, Stephen Frears, Terence Malick and Roman Polanski, and has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1, A Prophet, The Special Relationship, Tamara Drewe, The Tree of Life
As noted on Mr. Desplat's official website, his previous work includes "Julie and Julia," "New Moon," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "The Golden Compass."

While this is indeed exciting news, we have yet to receive official word on a role for Mr. Desplat in the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film and will update you as soon as we do.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest on this "Deathly Hallows" news and more.

Many thanks to Erna, Jon, and Cellar Door for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Nicholas Hooper composed the best scores in the entire movie series, in my opinion, including the best one yet: Half-Blood Prince’s score. I liked John Williams, but I think that his compositions were a bit too loud and lacked subtlety at times. Desplat has done some fantastic work, including Benjamin Button and Pearl Earring, so I’m very intrigued by this rumor.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on January 20, 2010, 07:58 AM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

i was hoping for john williams :(

Posted by KC Nox on January 20, 2010, 08:00 AM report to moderator
11th_doctor_wal_06_thumb

What happened to John Williams!!!? Wasnt he supposed to score Deathly Hallows? I was looking forward to him coming back! You can’t get any better than the composer for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and others!

Posted by Basilisk In The Pipes on January 20, 2010, 08:16 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

I am a fan of Alexandre Desplat, the New Moon Score is excellent, especially “The Meadow” I can’t wait to hear his take on Harry Potter!

Posted by Rosie016 on January 20, 2010, 08:22 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Hmm, this is interesting. I was really hoping John Williams would return, but we’ll see what happens for DH Part II. I do think it would be weird to have two different people score parts I and II, though. I’ve only seen one of his previous works listed, “Julie and Julia,” and literally nothing sticks in my memory about that score. My personal opinion is if it can’t be John Williams, they should stick with Nicholas Hooper, but I suppose we’ll have to cross our fingers and wait and see.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on January 20, 2010, 08:47 AM report to moderator
January_694_thumb

Aww, I was hoping for John Williams! but that’s okay, I’ll be happy either way.

Posted by melissaimless on January 20, 2010, 08:51 AM report to moderator

not happy. not happy at all. from what I’ve read, he hasn’t done the greatest of works in his last few soundtracks… AND I WANT JOHN WILLIAMS!!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on January 20, 2010, 09:02 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Wow! He has done some pretty big movies! I hope he is good!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 20, 2010, 09:13 AM report to moderator

MuggleNet was able to confirm this. Btw, it’s JULIE & JULIA not Julia & Julia haha. I enjoyed his work there, but not so much for New Moon or Golden Compass. Oh well, let’s hope he does an amazing job! I miss Williams and Hooper already though…

Posted by PhoenixFireworks on January 20, 2010, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

It’s been confirmed. He is scoring DH. Argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read that on Mugglenet, and they say it was confirmed by his agent.

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on January 20, 2010, 09:24 AM report to moderator

I have enjoyed the various Harry Potter soundtracks so far and am anxious to see how well the music will compliment Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 20, 2010, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Avatar_spitfyre_thumb

… Did anyone else notice that in the “WHAT’S NEXT” column they said “Deadly Hallows” instead of “Deathly Hallows”? Pshaw

Posted by SpitFyre on January 20, 2010, 09:58 AM report to moderator

I love how everyone freaks out when there is a change in HP. By this point everyone should be use to it. To those yelling about Williams or any of the old composers did it ever occur to you that maybe they were asked but had to turn down the job because they were working on something else. Maybe Williams or the others did not want to do the score since they already did it before and wanted a different challenge. Don’t just assume WB did not want them we don’t know what goes on behind studio doors.

Posted by mlc on January 20, 2010, 10:07 AM report to moderator

Now we share three things with the Twilight Saga!

Posted by lazykitty on January 20, 2010, 10:29 AM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

While like others I found Desplat’s refusal to listen to Carter Burwell’s score from the previous Twilight film before scoring New Moon ridiculous and irritating I still think New Moon’s score was beautiful and I listen to it frequently. Volturi Waltz, Romeo and Juliet, New Moon, and Full Moon were amazing. HOWEVER while the score was beautiful as its own entity it didn’t really suit the film as well as I would have liked and I believe that is because the sound was such a jarringly drastic change from Twilight’s score and there was literally not even the faintest trace of any of Burwell’s Twilight score woven into New Moon so for me that caused a major disconnect. I just would have preferred a much smoother transition from Burwell’s style to Desplat’s. I was very disappointed that he didn’t even make any use at all of Burwell’s “I Know What You Are” which had unofficially become for Twilight what “Hedwig’s Theme” is for HP so people instantly think of Twilight when they hear it. Big mistake IMO. I’m not a fan of Hooper. His work lacks sophistication and subtlety. His OOTP score completely overpowered the film for me and was extremely distracting. He would be my last choice for DH. I love Williams’s “Hedwig’s Theme”, but must agree with those that say he can be way too loud and at times his music overpowers scenes like a bulldozer. That said I have felt like the music for OOTP and HBP lacked the magical feeling of the previous films. We need someone more subtle than both Hooper and Williams but not too subtle, someone that can also bring back the magical feel to the music without overpowering the film, and someone that will give us some of the more infamous songs from SS/PS perhaps re-worked and tweaked but that are still clearly recognizeable. I personally loved Doyle’s GOF score because it had enough of the old familiar HP sound but it was still different and new enough so the sound was much more subtle and didn’t overpower the way some of Williams’s work did. Its tough. I’m really not sure who I want to score DH 1 or 2. Obviously Williams would bring a certain nostalgia back and I do agree with the idea of it being a fitting closure to the series to have Williams’s Hedwig’s theme as the last thing we hear as we say goodbye to the films and leave the theatre, but I’d want him to bring something new to the table for the rest of DH and hope he has adopted a more subtle sound in the years since he has worked on HP. I just really don’t know!

Posted by bella vita on January 20, 2010, 10:29 AM report to moderator

Perhaps it was because he was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all his homework, but Harry could hardly believe it when he realized that he'd already been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt more like home than