Confirmed: Alexandre Desplat to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Film

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Update: This morning, we received word from a number of readers regarding a rumor composer Alexandre Desplat was set to score the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  We can now report this rumor is indeed true, thanks to our friends at MuggleNet who were able to validate that this piece of news was confirmed by Mr. Desplat's agent.

FilmScoreMonthy is reporting that composer Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  Describing the 48 year old composer an "overnight sensation that took decades to occur," the feature on the 2009 Top Forty Composer Countdown list includes the first part of the final Potter film as one of this upcoming projects.  The profile notes:
He has become the director-of-choice for many of the world's most acclaimed directors, including Fincher, Stephen Frears, Terence Malick and Roman Polanski, and has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1, A Prophet, The Special Relationship, Tamara Drewe, The Tree of Life
As noted on Mr. Desplat's official website, his previous work includes "Julie and Julia," "New Moon," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "The Golden Compass."

While this is indeed exciting news, we have yet to receive official word on a role for Mr. Desplat in the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film and will update you as soon as we do.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest on this "Deathly Hallows" news and more.

Many thanks to Erna, Jon, and Cellar Door for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Morse_telegrapher_thumb

Well, Miss Molly, if they keep changing things they could have another “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” on their hands. That doesn’t ring a bell? It started as a best-selling book that fans loved, much as fans love the Harry Potter books. The movie rights were purchased and a movie was made. The only thing common between the book and the movie was the title! The book’s author sued the film company to have his name removed from the film, and won! Having read Jo Rowling’s “Harry Potter” books many times each, and loving the books and the world they describe, I am extremely disappointed to see the wonder of the books ignored in the movies. PoA, GoF, OotP and HBP in turn have deviated farther and farther from the books. If they keep changing things, these films, like “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”, will have no connection to the books but the title. IMO, that is a crime.

Posted by Phoenix1946 on January 20, 2010, 10:49 AM report to moderator

Where is John Williams?? I do not care what he has done or how good some folks think he is, John should do the last two installments of HP! Cellar Door [“SQUEE”] is absolutely correct!!!!!

Posted by hewy on January 20, 2010, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Leonidascantread

I CANT BELIEVE THIS BULL….. WHERES JOHN WILLIAMS!!!!!!???!!!!! NOOOOOO /sob

Posted by iampadfoot on January 20, 2010, 11:04 AM report to moderator

Posted by hewy on January 20, 2010, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Leonidascantread

JOHN WILLIAMS GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! BRING HIM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY !!!!!???

Posted by iampadfoot on January 20, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Well, he’s scored some great movies. I think he’ll be good.

Posted by AvanelleWood on January 20, 2010, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

BRING BACK JOHN WILLIAMS!! I still don’t understand why they couldn’t have chosen Hans Zimmer or Michael Gacchino as a replacement for part one. Desplat is okay, but his scores are too slow and forgettable. I don’t know if he can handle a HUGE action movie, because DH part one will be action-packed. He’s NEVER done anything on this scale before and I don’t want the second to last Potter film to be his first go!

Posted by cghambright on January 20, 2010, 12:27 PM report to moderator

Phoenix1946, I understand your argument but in HP case JKR works with WB and has a say on script approval. She backs these movies and approves of them. JKR has said this many times in interviews. I know many authors’ signs away their rights to there work and the movies studio totally rearranged the story but JKR did not do this and approved the changes and additions that have been made from the HP book to the movies.
The argument though has nothing to do with the composer change. My point was that people jump to conclusion about these changes but we don’t know all the facts. We don’t know if Williams was booked for something else or if he was even asked to do it. Maybe WB asked and Williams or one of the other composers turned it down. Maybe Williams felt he made his contribution to HP and wants to move on. We just don’t know but so many are freaking out.

Posted by mlc on January 20, 2010, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Img_2115picnic_thumb

I’m really hoping that he’ll be able to handle the intense scenes in this film because all of his music that I’ve heard has been soft and peaceful…maybe he wasn’t such a great idea.

Posted by phoenixortheflame on January 20, 2010, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I really wish Hooper was staying!! I loved his work on HBP and OotP, it was brillant to me! Glad that John Williams isn’t coming back, but I kinda prefer Williams over this Desplat guy I think. The only thing I know him from is Golden Compass and the music there was okay….. but I at least hope that Desplat will stick with what Hooper and Williams have created so far in relation to HP. We’ll just have to see….

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on January 20, 2010, 12:48 PM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

He composed a very good piece for New moon, I am very happy that he would compose for HP too!

Posted by hermione97 on January 20, 2010, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Nicholas Hooper was very good but I don’t know anything about Desplat even though I watched New Moon and Golden Compass. I’ll have to watch one again to check. :D

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on January 20, 2010, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Dobbyavvie_thumb

His past films sound great, except for New Moon. Bleh

Posted by Scarlet~Phoenix on January 20, 2010, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Okay so it is official. Here is what concerns me: he’s only confirmed for part 1. He’s not confirmed for part 2 according to his agent. If WB is strongly considering a second composer for part 2, these films are going to feel very disconnected. So are these two films meant to be two entirely separate films, or one in two parts (which I think is what most fans expected)? We know Yates has said both films feel different (one’s a road movie, the other is more epic), but this is still the same book. I’m just confused by this. I hope this is cleared up.

Posted by mollywobble on January 20, 2010, 02:44 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

As much as I’m weary about someone new scoring the finale (or part I at the very least), we must admit WB has to know what they’re doing and are confident he will write a spectacular score. Let’s face it, they’re 99% about making money so they’re not going to jeopardize their chances of making a crapload on the last two.

Posted by PaintTheSky on January 20, 2010, 02:44 PM report to moderator

Harry couldn't believe it -- he was free. he rolled down the window, the night air whipping his hair, and looked back at the shrinking rooftops of Privet Drive. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley were all hanging, dumbstruck, out of Harry's window.[br