Helping Haiti Heal: LiveStream Fundraising Event Saturday at 2pm EST

Charity
Posted by: Edward
January 21, 2010, 04:45 PM

The Leaky Cauldron is helping Haiti heal.  Harry Potter fans have joined with members of fandoms from other popular books, movies, and tv series (including Heroes, Lost, True Blood, The Wire and Firefly) to create Helping Haiti Heal, a home-grown effort to contribute to the growing humanitarian aid and charitable relief activities in Haiti.

This Saturday, January 23rd, at 2 P.M. EST, HPA's PotterWatch, PotterCast, MuggleCast, Hogwarts Radio, and FictionAlley will come together for a live fundraising webcast here on Livestream to benefit Partners in Health.  This four hour live event will feature a donation drive where donors have the opportunity to win prizes, live performances from many wizard rockers; leaders in fan communities; personal interviews with Haitian-Americans about the importance of giving to Partners In Health; human rights activists; a representative from MIT's Media Lab discussing ways that we can donate our time using new media; and much more.

Help spread the word by Tweeting the following:
We're Helping Haiti Heal - learn about a huge fandom event happening Sat. from 2pm to 6pm ET! http://bit.ly/5603s6 #hhh
A major part of this event will be raising funds to help those in Haiti through Partners In Health.  Countless fan sites, wizard rockers, authors, entertainers, and organizations have donated to this donation drive.  As part of this effort, Leaky has donated:
  • A full access pass to LeakyCon 2011, worth well over $300
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Deluxe Edition
  • Rare copy of Jingle Spells 1
  • Free Jingle Spells 2 and 3
  • Personalized Harry, A History by author Melissa Anelli
  • Guest spots on PotterCast; outgoing voicemails and birthday messages from the PotterCasters
  • Harry Potter LEGO Game (upon game's release)
  • PotterCast posters
Those items represent a small selection the many amazing, unique, and rare prizes are available to donors.  The full list includes such items as:
  • Five signed and dedicated copies of novels by bestselling author Terry Pratchett.
  • Signed books from Time Magazine's Lev Grossman, Movies in 15 Minutes author Cleolinda Jones, and Urban fantasy novelist Lilith Saintcrow, as well as young adult authors Karen Healey, Aprilynne Pike, Pam Bachorz, Lisa Mantchev, and many more.
  • A signed Mega Book Pack of 30 novels from The 2009 Debutantes, including: Malindo Lo, Saundra Mitchell, Sarah Ockler, Michelle Zink, and Jackson Pearce.
  • Guest spots on PotterCast and Hogwarts Radio.
  • Busted keyboard used by Harry and the Potters at over 200 shows.
  • Signed CDs from such wizard rock bands as The Remus Lupins, The Whomping Willows, The Butterbeer Experience, and Oliver Boyd and the Rememberalls.
  • Quality replica LightSaber based on Luke's from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
  • $200 Gift Certificate to Infinitus 2010.
  • Limited edition, artist signed, Replica Slimer from Ghostbusters.
A full list of items can be found on the Helping Haiti Heal website.

Join us Saturday, January 23rd at 2 P.M. EST right here on Livestream for this live, jam-packed, fundraising event.  Together, we can help Haiti heal.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Charity News

I have to get up at 5am if I want to join in. Hate time zones, but I will so be there!!!!

Posted by albeitgruggish on January 22, 2010, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

WOW! This is wonderful! I will definitely tune in for this!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on January 22, 2010, 07:52 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

aww thats nice

Posted by alicia00 on January 22, 2010, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

This is definitely “totally awesome”! I’m so glad I only have to work a half day so I can be home in time to watch. There are several items I’m interested in; can’t wait to donate! :)

Posted by Bookworm Jen on January 23, 2010, 01:18 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

wow. thats really cool

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 23, 2010, 03:38 AM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

ahh! jkr’s donation!!!! i love her!

Posted by KC Nox on January 23, 2010, 05:19 AM report to moderator

I’ll definitely be tuning in for this awesome event!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 23, 2010, 06:56 AM report to moderator

With a set of the HP books w/a personal handwritten note & autograph by J.K. Rowling as a prize, I imagine that tons of people are going to be tuning in and donating!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 23, 2010, 07:02 AM report to moderator

I am always amazed at how awesome the HP community is when it comes to helping out. I hope I can participate today!

Posted by jenbabe705 on January 23, 2010, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Yay!

Posted by Smitch on January 23, 2010, 01:23 PM report to moderator
Ddavatar_thumb

Melissa — per Cleolinda’s suggestion, I have a signed Advance Reader’s Copy of “A Wizard of Mars” for the fundraiser if you want it. Owl me and let me know. :)

Posted by Diane Duane on January 24, 2010, 01:10 AM report to moderator

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014