WB Plans for Permanent UK Studio; Public Tours of Harry Potter Sets

Movies
Posted by: Edward
January 27, 2010, 10:47 AM

The Financial Times has an article online which reveals plans by Warner Bros. to establish "a permanent base in the UK as part of an estimated £100m ($161m)-plus investment that would make it the only Hollywood major to own a studio outside the US."  This base at Leavesden Studios, where the Harry Potter films have been in production for the past decade, is said to feature a "plan to allow members of the public to visit, by appointment, the sets of films made at Leavesden, including the great hall from the Harry Potter series."  The Financial Times continues:

The new plans involve building two new permanent stages, refurbishing the existing buildings and redesigning its 100-acre “backlot”, the area used for shooting outdoor scenes.
A person familiar with the plans said Warner Brothers wants to make Leavesden a European hub for post-production, including visual effects, animatronics and film editing in the UK, and believes that it will attract film business to the country.
Update: The official Warner Bros. Twitter account now confirms the report, saying, "Hey Potter Fans! WB is making a move to acquire and expand Leavesden Studios outside of London—the home of the “Harry Potter” films!"

As always, stay close to TLC for complete details and updates when we get them! Thanks to SS!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

I would go if I wasn’t deathly afraid of air travel :p I was always afraid of it, then September 11th happened :( And then I became a fan of LOST in 2006, so you can kind of see why I’m not willing to fly to the U.K. :p

Posted by Professor Witchard on January 28, 2010, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

diffently an excuse to visit th Uk.

Posted by The Nerd on January 28, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

This is certainly interesting news. I wonder how much they would charge for an appointment?

Posted by Bara on January 28, 2010, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

That is so cool!!!
Finally something in Europe!!!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on January 29, 2010, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Img_0409note_thumb

…just another reason for me to head across the Atlantic…sigh….can’t wait..

Posted by Fayebeline on January 29, 2010, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

I would go [=

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on January 29, 2010, 02:14 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Always wanted to visit the set!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on January 29, 2010, 02:43 AM report to moderator
0122101257a_thumb

Warner Bros is cementing its reputation as the world’s most powerful studio.

Posted by HonoraryWeasley on January 29, 2010, 07:24 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Wow! And that’s actually something I can go to! London isn’t as far away as Florida.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on January 29, 2010, 09:16 AM report to moderator

Indeed they are. WB has had good luck with their movies recently. I’m speaking of Half-Blood Prince and The Dark Knight, of course.

Posted by Professor Witchard on January 29, 2010, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I think I would rather see this than go to the theme park. I am starting to be quite disgruntled by all the hype.

Posted by Rhiannon on January 29, 2010, 12:16 PM report to moderator

I haven’t been to England before, but this will definitely lure me there! I’m going to plan a vacation with some of my fellow die-hard HP friends around this. I’m going to have to renew my passport. Wizarding world, here I come!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 29, 2010, 04:19 PM report to moderator

This is good news for the local area and the UK as a whole. My brother used to work there when it was the Rolls Royce factory. Great that it will remain a creative place, even better that the public can visit, rather than just turning into another endless estate of houses.

Posted by hereward on January 29, 2010, 09:58 PM report to moderator

I’m going to visit the HP theme park in FL first but then I’m saving up for a trip to Leavesden Studios.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on February 02, 2010, 08:27 PM report to moderator

Harry was used to spiders, because the cupboard under the stairs was full of them, and that was where he slept.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014