Dobby Voted One of the "Most Downtrodden (Yet Inspiring) Characters in Movie History"

HP References
Posted by: Rosi
January 28, 2010, 03:42 PM

Empire Online has named Dobby as one of their eight "Most Downtrodden (Yet Inspiring) Characters in Movie History." Wall-E, Spartacus and Napoleon Dynamite were amongst the other "luckless individuals who at least make our lives better." The feature provides a background on both why Dobby is so miserable and so inspiring. Quotage:

Dobby continues to play a heroic role throughout the series, always putting the welfare of others before his own, and plays a role out of all proportion to his size.
The full feature can be found on the Empire Online website right here.

Thanks very much to Gazza for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP References News

Images_thumb

Dobby is an inspiring person (house elf) and was a hero. RIP Dobby.

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on January 28, 2010, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

I think I cried harder for Dobby’s death that an other character’s. He was definitely inspiring.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on January 28, 2010, 04:11 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Wasn’t too familiar with the other characters, but the inclusion of Dobby was nice. I think the best out of all of the ones listed. Dobby and sacrificial & self-sacrificial go together. And Dobby is free even when he’s in slavery because he does the right thing and makes the right choices even despite his slavery & despite the consequences.

Posted by vespasian68967 on January 28, 2010, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Dobby is amazing

Posted by The Nerd on January 28, 2010, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Normal_knitted_dobbysocks_prokyon_thumb

Dobby was a really well written character all around. He really seemed to bring out the best in all of the other characters around him and certainly fits the downtrodden portion here. I do love Wall-E, but I think that Dobby is the rightful owner of this award!

Posted by pottersocks on January 28, 2010, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Go Dobby! You deserve this award!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 28, 2010, 05:09 PM report to moderator

I agree with GadgetDon. I think he deserves the award, but not for his roll in the films, which are very minor (so far). I hope he’s gets his moment in the Deathly Hallows films, though that does make me concerned that I’ll cry during the movie; only scene in the HP series I cried over.

Posted by Professor Witchard on January 28, 2010, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dobby is the greatest elf ever
he loved harry so much

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on January 28, 2010, 06:36 PM report to moderator

I’m glad that Empire Online has recognized Dobby’s contributions by including him on tis list. He certainly qualifies, poor Dobby!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 28, 2010, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

A much deserved mention. Congrats to Dobby. RIP.

Posted by Bara on January 28, 2010, 11:02 PM report to moderator

It’s too bad that Dobby and Winky got cut out of Goblet of Fire. The fact that Dobby couldn’t find employment because he expected to be paid showed how he was again bucking the system in an effort to do the right thing and suffered the consequences for not just doing what was easy.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 29, 2010, 01:14 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I cried when Dobby died. He was always so loyal to hp and would do anything he could for hp including staying up three days straight to spy for hp or putting a Bludger to him if it would make hp go back home and be safe. He’d defend hp if someone talked about him. He was very caring with Winky to help her get a job and to care for her when she drank too much. I could go on and on. He was adorable, kind, thoughtful. He definitely deserved the award.

Posted by molly43 on January 29, 2010, 01:16 AM report to moderator
Bitch_and_baby_thumb

RIP Dobby :D
I love youu.

Posted by TheGirlWhoLived♥ on January 29, 2010, 05:46 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Dobby was such a little sweetheart. :o)
Interesting that he was listed based on the movies … the currently available films have not yet shown him in his true glory.

Iconator_7fa3cb670bce345350cd6832b9b7b562_thumb

I’ve always loved Dobby, he’s a brilliant character!! RIP and well done :)

Posted by DracoRox *ROAR* on January 29, 2010, 07:54 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I mean, the rest of us know it doesn't make any difference at all. Look at Neville Longbottom -- he's pure-blood and he can hardly stand a cauldron the right way up."