Wizarding World is "Pretty Close" to a Set Opening Date; More Details Revealed

News
Posted by: Melissa
January 28, 2010, 12:01 PM

During a conference call today with Thierry Coup, vice president of creative development for Universal Creative, representatives from fan sites were told that the Harry Potter theme park is "pretty close" to a set opening date and hopes to announce that date soon. As of now Spring 2010 is the most specific timetable for the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park, but the creative team says the structures are 90 percent complete and are ust putting the final touches on the "layers and layers of detail" present in the park.

You can listen to the full audio of the conference call below:

Additional details from the interview:

• The wand-choosing experience will last from 2-5 minutes per person, and the team is currently working on how to handle what are expected to be long wait times.
  • The inside of the castle includes rooms built to full scale from the films - Dumbledore's office, the Great Hall, the Gryffindor Common room, and more
  • The previous reports of wands interacting with the environment of the park have not yet been realized, but there's "a lot going on" in each area of the amusement
  • "Every Harry Potter fan is going to be very critical of this [park]: we want to make sure that it's going to be absolutely fantastic and perfect."
  • The Ollivander's shop will include every detail from the books possible, down to the tinkling bell, the single window, and the sign that hearkens the shop back to 382 b.c.
  • Ollivander's in this "Hogsmeade" is, with permission from J.K. Rowling, an annex, a satellite shop of the main Ollivander's (which is in Diagon Alley in London; Hogsmeade is in Scotland). The wandkeeper will not be Mr. Ollivander. There will be only one in the shop at any given time.
  • The wands have all been designed by Stuart Craig and approved by J.K. Rowling.
  • The experience of having your wand choose you is free, though the wand costs money to buy. Pricing is to be determined.
  • Customers may buy wands without doing the choosing.
  • Questions will be asked of the customers, including birthdate and other factual details, to determine the appropriate wandwood based on the Celtic calendar (as frequently is done in the Harry Potter books).
  • The wands are made out of 13 different types of wood.
  • Children will be able to build their own wand
  • When trying out your wands, there may be mishaps in the shop - flowers wilting, thunder and lightning in the store, etc. - when you use the wrong one.
  • There are no current plans for "dark" areas of Hogsmeade, a la Nocturne Alley, but Coup said to "stay tuned for that."
  • You can follow Thierry Coup on Twitter for additional revelations (or just follow Leaky's Harry Potter list to get all HP related Twitterers at once.)
Coup said: "I can tell you one thing: it's going to be a treat for the eye and for the heart, too."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!!

Posted by on January 29, 2010, 10:49 AM report to moderator
George_ron_thumb

As long as it’s open by the 3rd week of May I’m good. :)

Posted by blue_rogue on January 29, 2010, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Picture_324_thumb

This is going to be the most exciting thing ever! I can’t wait to step into the doors of Hogwarts… I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle myself!

Posted by Scribbled [WBM] on January 29, 2010, 12:40 PM report to moderator

Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh!!! I sooooo want to get my wand chosen for me! I hope they’re not too expensive…

Posted by The Pure-Blood Prince on January 29, 2010, 01:26 PM report to moderator

I really hope they do develop a Knockturn Alley in the park. It’d be so cool to browse through Borgin & Burke’s. They could sell temporary tattoos of the Dark Mark or better yet, have a vendor offer them in henna!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 29, 2010, 02:52 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Also, it’s Knockturn Alley. Come on, Melissa. Have some coffee.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on January 29, 2010, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I wish they would announce a firm opening date already! I need to make an appointment for aircraft tie-down space, as well as hotel accommodations…

Posted by Won_Two on January 29, 2010, 03:56 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

That’s so cool!

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on January 29, 2010, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is truly going to be the best park ever! <3

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on January 29, 2010, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

I heard the wands were somewhere around $35, that’s kinda expensive for wood, but I’d buy it, just for the sake of my first HP merchendise besides the DVDs :P

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 29, 2010, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Sunshine_thumb

I first heard about this in a magazine and literally screamed (My mother dropped the book she was holding onto the floor, she thought something was wrong hee hee hee). Please announce the date already! I can’t take the suspense!!!!

Posted by Xzenoa on January 29, 2010, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

I guess I am going to have to make a trip to Orlando to find my wand!

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on January 29, 2010, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Img_0409note_thumb

i am so happy that this park is being made…..just shows you that HP isn’t going anywhere…..HP is staying strong…….
oh, how i want my wand in my hands……now.

Posted by Fayebeline on January 30, 2010, 01:58 AM report to moderator
____73_thumb

i want to go,but i’m in China.

Posted by wing on January 30, 2010, 04:03 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I am wondering if the appearance of Paxatony Phil on Groundhog’s Day will determine the date of the opening. If he doesn’t see his shadow then it opens immediately. If he does, then the opening is delayed another six weeks. This is said in heavy sarcasm. I am getting sick of all the hype and I hate to have my lovely Harry used in this way. I think he would have hated it. :(

Posted by Rhiannon on January 30, 2010, 05:38 AM report to moderator

"My wand's feather came from Fawkes?" Harry said, amazed.[br]"Yes," said Dumbledore. "Mr. Ollivander wrote to tell me you had bought the second wand, the moment you left his shop four years ago."