New Interview with Nicholas Hooper on Scoring Harry Potter Films

Composers
Posted by: Rosi
January 29, 2010, 08:12 PM

Warner Bros.' monthly Harry Potter newsletter has a brand new interview with Nicholas Hooper in which he talks about his experiences scoring "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." In the interview Mr. Hooper comments that the journey to the cave was his favourite scene to score in the sixth film and that "[upon hearing] it performed by the huge orchestra and choir it felt like I had flown out there across the sea myself."

Mr. Hooper also discusses the similarities between some of the tracks on the scores of the fifth and sixth films, such as between the "Umbridge Theme" and "Living Death." Quotage:

[T]hey are both about new teachers. How will Slughorn turn out? Can we trust him? Another important theme from "Order of the Phoenix" that I used in "Half-Blood Prince" was the "Possession" theme (where Voldemort possesses Harry at the Ministry of Magic.) This pervades the score in most places where Voldemort or Tom Riddle are mentioned or shown: the first place being in the scene where Dumbledore gives his speech to the school at the beginning of term.
Sources of inspiration, a typical day of scoring a Harry Potter film and how the final recording all falls into place are also covered in the interview, which can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Composers News

Avatar_thumb

JOHN TOWNER WILLIAMS come back !!!!!

Posted by Dirk Cresswell on January 30, 2010, 05:37 AM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

It will be interesting to hear what the next soundtrack will be like.

Posted by Bara on January 30, 2010, 10:38 AM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Squee! My favourite bit is the same as his! Journey to the Cave :) Wow I wish I could hear the 12 hours of music that wasn’t included. Ah Nicholas Hooper will be missed by me at any rate. My favourite of the composers so far.

Posted by nellythemarrow on January 30, 2010, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

wish he got picked back up for DH1 and 2

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on January 30, 2010, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Cool!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 30, 2010, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

i liked the old music drector better sorry

Posted by alicia00 on January 30, 2010, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

I love Nicholas Hooper’s scores, especially in the sixth! One of my favourite songs is ‘Possession’! I listen to it over and over.

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on January 30, 2010, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

I only wished he could have done DH 1 (and/or 2).

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on January 30, 2010, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Avatar_-_fix_thumb

Agreed. Nicholas Hooper was my favorite when it came to the scores of the Harry Potter films. The music for Half-Blood was brilliant and I feel it was the best of all six thus far.

Posted by Billy Latta on January 30, 2010, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

I’m a big fan of Nicholas Hooper.

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on January 30, 2010, 04:01 PM report to moderator

Harry,Ginny, Ron, Fred, George, Hermione, Cho, Cedric(May He Rest IN Peace), Molly, Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Dobby, Bagman, Krum, Habrid, Dumbledore, Slughorn, McGonagal, Neville, Luna, Draco, Sirius, Oliver, Angelina, Katie, Ernie, Padma, Pavarti, TOO MANY PEOPLE I LIKE!! I’M FREAKIN OUT…ect

Posted by Kristine *ROAR* on January 30, 2010, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

cool. i love all the soundtracks.

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 30, 2010, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

scoring is so important in movies, it really builds the drama!

Posted by harrygetsme on January 31, 2010, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I loved the music in OotP, it always matched the atmosphere, and I enjoyed it in HBP too. :D

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on January 31, 2010, 08:37 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

He certainly did contribute finely to the soundtracks for the last two films. His albums were as far as I am concerned the best created thus far in this franchise.

Posted by Kirk on January 31, 2010, 09:56 AM report to moderator

"Like father, like son, Potter! I have just saved your neck; you should be thanking me on bended knee! You would have been well served if he'd killed you! You'd have died like your father, too arrogant to believe you might be mistaken in Black -- now get

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014