New Interview with Nicholas Hooper on Scoring Harry Potter Films

Composers
Posted by: Rosi
January 29, 2010, 08:12 PM

Warner Bros.' monthly Harry Potter newsletter has a brand new interview with Nicholas Hooper in which he talks about his experiences scoring "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." In the interview Mr. Hooper comments that the journey to the cave was his favourite scene to score in the sixth film and that "[upon hearing] it performed by the huge orchestra and choir it felt like I had flown out there across the sea myself."

Mr. Hooper also discusses the similarities between some of the tracks on the scores of the fifth and sixth films, such as between the "Umbridge Theme" and "Living Death." Quotage:

[T]hey are both about new teachers. How will Slughorn turn out? Can we trust him? Another important theme from "Order of the Phoenix" that I used in "Half-Blood Prince" was the "Possession" theme (where Voldemort possesses Harry at the Ministry of Magic.) This pervades the score in most places where Voldemort or Tom Riddle are mentioned or shown: the first place being in the scene where Dumbledore gives his speech to the school at the beginning of term.
Sources of inspiration, a typical day of scoring a Harry Potter film and how the final recording all falls into place are also covered in the interview, which can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Composers News

Keep_calm_thumb

I loved HBP cause it really sounded really John Williamsy but i really didn’t like OotP

Posted by Narglesarereal on January 31, 2010, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he was so great ! gonna miss him : (

Posted by DesQueJteVois on January 31, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Jan08_05_thumb

What Ever! Where The F is John Williams at?!

Posted by Jay_Lock on January 31, 2010, 03:27 PM report to moderator
A_mouse_digital_painting__anahita_____the_other_me___by_aty_s_behsam-d5p8l5n_thumb

Yeah I noticed the Possession theme in the half blood prince’s score, Dumbledore’s Farewell is my favorite track of the 6th. Movie, it’s awesome!

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on January 31, 2010, 03:48 PM report to moderator
Smithmcgonagall_thumb

Believe it or not, but the original Harry Potter theme score was what got me attracted to the movies and books in the first place. From the moment the warner bros slogan appeared on the VHS infront of me and the music began, I was more than intrigued, I was wildly engrossed. The theme songs and scores in all Harry Potter movies are nothing short of brilliant ingenuity. Must get hold of soundtracks…can’t beleive I don’t have them already.

Posted by Sylvia Emyst on January 31, 2010, 07:30 PM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

I loved the Cave theme in HBP! :)

Posted by Pollytomat on February 01, 2010, 05:04 AM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

The next soundtrack should be coming out pretty soon, shouldn’t it?

Posted by Bara on February 01, 2010, 05:47 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I actually loved his soundtracks. My favorite ones off the HBP one were ’Ron’s Victory’ and ‘Journey to the Cave’. The latter gave me chills when I heard it in the theater for the first time, it was just stunning.

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on February 01, 2010, 06:55 AM report to moderator

I liked Mr Hooper’s score in the films for OoTP and HBP. I think the music complemented what was happening on screen very well.

Posted by enchantedsocks on February 02, 2010, 06:24 AM report to moderator

I think Mr. Hooper is a talented man but I’m hoping John Williams will finish up the series by working on Deathly Hallows, Part II.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on February 03, 2010, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Now THAT was an informative and interesting interview!

Posted by Won_Two on February 04, 2010, 06:52 AM report to moderator
05230215470101_thumb

I LOVE the scores for the past few movies (which I understand are by Nicholas Hooper) but I haven’t read the whole article: is he planning to score the finals movies?

Posted by Gryffipuff! on February 04, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator
05230215470101_thumb

Posted by Gryffipuff! on February 04, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator

I love the soundtrack. I wish Nicholas Hooper was scoring Deathly Hallows. I truly love the music in the scene where Hermione is crying and confiding to Harry about how she feels about Ron. The harp is beautiful!

Posted by iheartdobbythefreelf on February 07, 2010, 01:40 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

He carried Errol to a perch just inside the back door and tried to stand him on it, but Errol flopped straight off again so Ron lay him on the draining board instead, muttering, "Pathetic."