Five Awesome Years on the Lounge

LeakyLounge
Posted by: Melissa
January 05, 2010, 01:18 PM

Today is a special day for Leaky and all its loyal readers. Five years ago today the Leaky Lounge, our forum, was born, and Leaky itself changed forever: from a small news-posting blog to a worldwide community, from a one-way news posting service to a great depository of ideas, writing, theories, reading groups, creativity, laughter, parodies, essays, and much, much more. The Leaky Lounge blew open the doors of what was once a little site, and welcomed thousands upon thousands of valuable Harry Potter fans and their interesting, intelligent voices.

We'll be celebrating all week, so head over to LeakyLounge.com; our game arcade is open and we'll be issuing challenges for the more competitive among us all weekend. The moderators have opened new threads to bring back old memories; members are finding their first posts and posting about them here. And keep a wary eye out... those Harry Potter characters do like to pop in on special days. Our designated Lounge Birthday thread is here.

Thank you to everyone who has made the past five years on Leaky and the Lounge so special. Enormous thanks today go to Nick Rhein for proposing the idea: he worked very hard before he had any administrative help at all to get it open; all the rest of us could do was hand him Gatorade and a towel now and then. Today the forum runs thanks to the unbelievable dedication of our moderators and administrators, who work much harder than we ever ask of them and always do it with a smile.

Congratulations all, and thank you for an excellent five years! Here's to five more!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent LeakyLounge News

Puff_thumb

So I was a HUGE TLC lurker for ages and ages. Finally one day (when the book clubs were opening for the release of HBP) I decided to join and stop lurking. My life has not been the same since. I immediately met so many wonderful people, many of whom I still talk to now. I have made so many lifelong friends whose friendship extends way past just our love for Harry Potter. These are the people I call to talk to when I get good news, or turn to when I need a hug. The opportunities I’ve had over the past few years because of the lounge are just amazing. I’ve been to HP conferences, attended wizard rock events, been on podcasts, all things I never would of done without the lounge.

Happy Birthday lounge!!!

Posted by KimmyBlair on January 05, 2010, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Congratulations!!! I have been coming to Leaky for years now; but not as long as you have been around. I look forward to many more years of Harry Potter related news, games, information, etc.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on January 05, 2010, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Me3_thumb

Very cool! Whoever had tad the original idea for this site gets many cookies!

Posted by Horcrux~Noctus~ on January 05, 2010, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Happy birthday to the Leaky Lounge! Thanks to the many moderators who contribute and help maintain such a wonderful resource and environment for conversation with other fans for us.

Posted by Kirk on January 05, 2010, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

man, the lounge is how i finally became a real member of the fandom. good memories, good times.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on January 05, 2010, 03:00 PM report to moderator
15022011403_-_c_pia_thumb

Happy 5th Birthday Leaky Longe!!! =D

Posted by katarina_cat -*K.Wings*- [ITC!] on January 05, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

woohoo!! happy birthday leaky lounge and well done, every1 that keeps all this going. and a very low bow 4 those who started this

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 05, 2010, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_portrait_dobby_48x48

Happy 5th birthday TLC! :0)

Posted by get1nexttime on January 05, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Happy birthday! I wish i had more free time to spend there.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on January 05, 2010, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I have been on in ages. I’ll check it out!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on January 05, 2010, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

happy birthday but i dont relly go to the lounge

Posted by alicia00 on January 05, 2010, 05:25 PM report to moderator

Happy Anniversary!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on January 05, 2010, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

happy birthday!!

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on January 05, 2010, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Congrats Leaky! I love this site and couldn’t live without it. Everyone does a wonderful job, and it makes the fandom that exciting and relevant to our culture. We are able to connect and communicate in the best way, thanks to all the Leaky staff and fans who keep it clean/fun/hilarious, and centered around the series. YAY LEAKY!

Posted by Smitch on January 05, 2010, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_voldemort_poster_dr2_thumb

Cool Happy 5th Birthday Leaky Lounge

Posted by Hermione25(ROAR) on January 06, 2010, 05:29 AM report to moderator

Harry pulled open his trunk and drew out his Triwizard winnings.[br]"Take it," he said... "I don't want it."[br]"You're mental," said George, trying to push it back at Harry.[br]"No, I'm not," said Harry. "You take it, and get inventing. It's for the joke