"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" Finalist for VFX Oscar Nomination

HBP Film
Posted by: Edward
January 06, 2010, 02:40 PM

The "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" film has been chosen as one of the seven finalists in the Achievement in Visual Effects category for the 82nd Academy Awards.  As readers will recall, in December the sixth Potter film was among fifteen semifinalists included in the short list of potential VFX nominees by the The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.  "Half-Blood Prince" is up against such other films as "Avatar," "District 9," "Star Trek," "Terminator Salvation," :Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,"and "2012."

On January 21st, fifteen minute film clips of the seven VFX finalists will be screened for the members of the Academy’s Visual Effects Branch, who will choose the final three films vying for the golden statute.  Nominations for the 82nd Academy Awards will be announced February 2nd.

The final awards ceremony will take place on March 7th at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Los Angeles, California.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

116336_thumb

avatar is going to win but that’s awesome that they can have a nomination

Posted by The_Ghost_On_Third on January 06, 2010, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Luna_thumb

I thought it was good. it may do well. I don’t know that i would pick it myself, but i certainly hope it does well! i want it to! good for it :-) although a bunch of ppl are saying its not going to win up against avatar, i don’t know if it will. I loved avatar and the visual effects, but it could have been a video game as far as i’m concerned. i heard someone else say that it was more ‘evolutionary’ then ‘revolutionary’, and i totally agree. Harry potter may not beat avatar, but i wouln’t say they don’t have a chance. I think its pretty fair game b/w the two. harry potter looked amazing and flawless and hogwarts always seems real, not at all animated. this movie definately had the best visual effects so far

Posted by LittleLoony♥ʎuool ǝlʇʇıl {WBM!} on January 06, 2010, 08:08 PM report to moderator

Yeah!!!!! We’ve got to win, I mean I have never seen as great VFX as in HBP!!!! Gosh, it was mindblowing, and it really deserves to win!!!

Posted by Sanju on January 06, 2010, 08:19 PM report to moderator

IMO, the three will be Avatar, Transformers, and Star Trek/District 9 with Avatar winning. The effects in Half Blood Prince were great, but there were several other films out this year that impressed me far more.

Posted by Kud Dukan on January 06, 2010, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

oh it would be awesome if they would win :)
but i guess they wont make it :( competitionnn

Posted by Ravonja [WBM♥] on January 06, 2010, 10:19 PM report to moderator
Potter07_thumb

That’s some ridiculous competition… how is HBP supposed to win against Avatar and 2012? I think those two will definitely make the top 3. But then there’s still Star Trek and Transformers… I loved Star Trek; Transformers, not so much, but they have some pretty amazing special effects. Maybe it’s just the pessimist in me that thinks HBP is not going to make it to the final 3… :\

Posted by accioangela on January 07, 2010, 12:38 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Avatar will win. With more than 1 billion $ box-office and with all this positive critics… But it will be great if HP takes third place! :)

Posted by Pollytomat on January 07, 2010, 02:03 AM report to moderator
Avatar2_thumb

YES!! I’m soooo happy HBP is nominated! There is stiff competition but hopefully HBP will win!!!

Posted by weasleygirl101(ROAR) on January 07, 2010, 05:36 AM report to moderator

So I’m the only one that thought the VFX for HBP were a tad inconsistent? Going from a great looking Quidditch match to the really rubbish inferi. Haven’t seen Avatar, but even I know that is a shoe in to win. Would like to see HBP nominated, but I just think the inferi let the fx down badly.

Posted by pipkin3 on January 07, 2010, 06:46 AM report to moderator

YAY, Good going, tough competition but keep or fingers crossed, hope HP bags its this time !!

Posted by Shivi {ROAR} !! on January 07, 2010, 06:48 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

tough,i gues.. but im hoping and almost knowing that HP will win this. so fingers crossed !! and go Harry Potter!!!!!

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 07, 2010, 06:59 AM report to moderator
123107760_thumb

Yay! I hope they show a good part in that 15 minute clip. Keeping fingers crossed that HBP makes it to the final stage. Tough competition but i think it can make it’s way up there.

Posted by hpfan88{ROAR} on January 07, 2010, 07:14 AM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

GO GO HBP!!! I HOPE HBP WINS!!!

Hydrangeas_thumb

sweet harry potte shopuld win thow

Posted by alicia00 on January 07, 2010, 07:28 AM report to moderator
Warholizer6162aaa1ba2651a5e53d6cf1eeb7e59e8443424a_thumb

HP deserves to win! I really hope it does, even if Avatar was awesome, this is Harry Potter we’re talking about, people!

Posted by Epetrus on January 07, 2010, 08:28 AM report to moderator

"Now give me the prophecy, or we start using wands."[br]"Go on, then," said Harry, raising his own wand to chest height. As he did so, the five wands of Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny, and Luna rose on either side of him.