Travelling Harry Potter Exhibit from the University of Alabama at Birmingham

Education
Posted by: Rosi
January 09, 2010, 04:55 AM

A press release from the University of Alabama at Birmingham announces a travelling exhibit to "[show] how Rowling delved into the writings of real 15th and 16th century physicians, scholars and scientists to fashion the basis of magic in the seven Potter books." Supplemented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham's collection of "rare, historical medical texts" and presented by the National Library of Medicine, the exhibit, "Harry Potter's World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine," will run from the 25th of January until 5th of March.

The exhibit explores Rowling's references to themes popular with Renaissance scholars as well as the author's nods to early scientists such as Paracelsus and Agrippa. Elizabeth Jane Furdell Ph.D., a professor of history at the University of North Florida, will deliver a presentation on "Magic Alchemy and Medicine in Harry Potter's World" on the 2nd of February at 4pm.

More information can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Mefleming_thumb

I love it when the world of Harry Potter is examined ina hard, academic fashion. (Really – I do!)

Posted by NDduLac [Dodo] on January 09, 2010, 05:47 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

um, amazing. why? because UAB is like 10 minutes from me. In fact, I spent half of my semester down at UAB. It should be noted that it’s not the University of Alabama, i.e. roll tide roll, we just won national championships, but University of Alabama AT Birmingham who put this out. two very different schools- their colors are green, and their mascot is a dragon. Just thought I’d point out the distinction. And it sounds like the exhibit will always be in Birmingham, and the lecturer is just from North Florida. I don’t think the lecture is actually in Florida, but still in Birmingham.

This is so awesome! Even if it had been at UA, I would’ve driven down to Tuscaloosa, but this is just around the corner! love it!

Posted by Rinny on January 09, 2010, 06:56 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

It is amazing how many people Harry Potter has touched. I have heard that there are several colleges that offer Harry Potter as an actual college class, using it to compare to religion and other writings.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on January 09, 2010, 07:58 AM report to moderator
Makeout_thumb

Oh my goodness! That is amazing! I wish it were in Ohio. :( Florida is so far away! That’s ok, though. :)

Posted by Snakems on January 09, 2010, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

I wanna go!

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on January 09, 2010, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

That place is amazing!!!

Posted by The Nerd on January 09, 2010, 12:13 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

How cool – my sis lives in B’ham. WOOT!

JKR is brilliant and her work studying Renaissance natural scientists is not unlike other amazing writers. Check out Mary W. Shelly’s Frankenstein.

Posted by smil on January 09, 2010, 02:39 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Cool, sounds interesting!

Harry-potter-stars_thumb

that’s very cool. wish i lived in alabama so i could see for myself! i’ve actually noticed a lot of the consistencies in the HP books and historical texts in my classes this past semester!

Posted by harrygetsme on January 09, 2010, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

that’s cool.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on January 09, 2010, 04:36 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

As a Ravenclaw, I’m squeeing

Posted by KiwiMcI on January 09, 2010, 05:03 PM report to moderator
Img_2115picnic_thumb

But why does nothing ever come to my state!?

Posted by phoenixortheflame on January 09, 2010, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

A scientific approach to Harry Potter, very interesting. I’d love to see it!

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on January 09, 2010, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

very interesting indeed. id love 2 c it 2, but thats kinda unlikely. still, i probably read about enough books about that kinda stuff, that it wouldnt be anything new 2 me… ;p

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 09, 2010, 09:51 PM report to moderator

"He's dot alone!" shouted a voice from above them. "He's still god be!"[br]Harry's heart sank. Neville was scrambling down the stone benches toward them, Hermione's wand held fast in his trembling hand.