Travelling Harry Potter Exhibit from the University of Alabama at Birmingham

Education
Posted by: Rosi
January 09, 2010, 04:55 AM

A press release from the University of Alabama at Birmingham announces a travelling exhibit to "[show] how Rowling delved into the writings of real 15th and 16th century physicians, scholars and scientists to fashion the basis of magic in the seven Potter books." Supplemented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham's collection of "rare, historical medical texts" and presented by the National Library of Medicine, the exhibit, "Harry Potter's World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine," will run from the 25th of January until 5th of March.

The exhibit explores Rowling's references to themes popular with Renaissance scholars as well as the author's nods to early scientists such as Paracelsus and Agrippa. Elizabeth Jane Furdell Ph.D., a professor of history at the University of North Florida, will deliver a presentation on "Magic Alchemy and Medicine in Harry Potter's World" on the 2nd of February at 4pm.

More information can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

YAY! But North Florida…;( What about central Florida?

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 09, 2010, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

But I’m really happy for them! I LOVE HARRY POTTER

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 09, 2010, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Bildschirmfoto_2013-01-31_um_11

I am happy for them. Jealous. But happy.

Posted by Spinner's End ^HISS^ (ITC) on January 10, 2010, 12:20 AM report to moderator

very cool…would love to see it!

Posted by Dawna on January 10, 2010, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Wow that sounds really, really interesting!!! I want to go!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 10, 2010, 12:44 AM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

So cool. I must try to go.

It’s UAB though, University of Alabama at Birmingham, not UA. They’re two different schools in two different cities. UAB’s a renowned medical school, so it makes sense they’d discuss this aspect of Potter.

Posted by Olivia on January 10, 2010, 03:35 AM report to moderator
Img_2315_face0_thumb

That is SO awesome!!!

Posted by Nicci Weasley on January 10, 2010, 03:56 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

What an interesting exhibition! I wish I was nearer. :(

Posted by Kirk on January 10, 2010, 04:36 AM report to moderator
A_mouse_digital_painting__anahita_____the_other_me___by_aty_s_behsam-d5p8l5n_thumb

Wow! That’s really nice!

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on January 10, 2010, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

That’s awesome! I may get to see it in April! :)

Posted by LadySidi on January 10, 2010, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

kewl

26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

sounds intresting

Posted by LilLadySnape on January 10, 2010, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

y oes it haft to keep movie k cant it just stay in chaigo like it was 2 moves ago

Posted by alicia00 on January 10, 2010, 12:37 PM report to moderator

I would love it if it would come to Texas! Very interesting..

Posted by ravenclaw_girl42 on January 10, 2010, 12:44 PM report to moderator

Oh my God! I go to UAB! :D This makes me so proud. I can’t wait to go. UAB really is a great school, I think, apart from their medical component. I can’t believe they’re doing something HP-related… How freaking awesome.

Go Blazers! :)

Posted by musicrobot on January 10, 2010, 12:59 PM report to moderator

She reached up and tapped the hat with her wand. It opened its mouth wide and gave an extremely realistic roar that made everyone in the vicinity jump.[br]"It's good, isn't it?" said Luna happily. "I wanted to have it chewing up a serpent to represent Sl