Emma Watson Discusses Life at Brown University, Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, and More

Watson
Posted by: Mel
November 27, 2010, 08:12 PM

The Daily Mail has a new article about Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), where she discusses many things, among them her experience thus far at Brown University:

On the first day at her US university - chosen over Cambridge because the latter was 'a bit Hogwarts-looking' - Emma Watson was bombarded by autograph hunters.
She was caught so unawares that she couldn't contain her shock: 'Everyone looked at me horrified, like, "Oh my God, what's wrong with her?"'
...
So how did she deal with the unwanted autograph hunters, once she had overcome her initial shock? In typical Emma Watson (and Hermione) style, it appears - with quiet determination.
She dusted herself down and decided that she would proceed as planned, on her terms. 'I just said, "I'm really sorry, but I'm here to study and I just want to be a student. Would it be OK if I don't sign, because you'll be seeing me around all the time anyway?"'
The fact that she has now completed her first year of studies is clearly something of a triumph, not least, she admits, because not a single shot of her in the shared uni bathroom has made its way onto the internet.
'One morning I was walking down the corridor from the bathroom in just a towel and I thought I must be mad, anyone could just snap me,' she says, laughing. 'But no one did. Not even when I had my birthday party. 100 people came, and not one person put a picture on Facebook.'

Watson also discusses how she thinks Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) have changed since she first met them, and the differences in her relationship with both of them:

She remains close to both Rupert and Daniel, and seems bemused by how they have both developed.
'It's funny, they've both gone completely opposite ways. At the beginning Rupert was very confident, really chatty, very outgoing, and Dan was the quiet shy one.
'I remember at the first press conference, he was so overwhelmed by the whole thing. Now, you can't shut Dan up. He's telling jokes, he's got this incredible energy. Rupert's gone quiet. He's much more reserved.
'We are like siblings. If I'm feeling a bit anxious or I need to talk something over with someone, Dan's the one I'll go to. We had this great weekend once. We were stuck in the middle of nowhere in Scotland in this castle.
'We were both meant to be in bed and I sneaked into Dan's room and stayed up watching movies all night, drinking Coke and eating M&Ms from the minibar.
'Rupert's the guy I go to when I want to be relaxed and have a good laugh. His dressing room is like a child's wonderland with every kind of game, every kind of sweet, every kind of whatever you can imagine. I go to him if I want to snuggle up on the sofa and watch television.'
Watson also talks about the adult actors on the set of Harry Potter and what she learned from them:

She cites Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Thompson as her role models.
'I learned from Emma how to behave on a set. She remembers everyone's name, she's incredibly courteous and considerate, and she makes everyone laugh.

'It's up to the leading actors and actresses to set the tone on a film set, and the first time I saw Emma I remember thinking, "That's the kind of actress I want to be."'

Indeed, when filming finished, Emma Watson bought all the crew members a Smythson leather notebook engraved with her thanks and a quote from Dickens: 'The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.' Emma Thompson would surely have approved.
Further on in the article Watson talks about the TV shows she watches to relax, her haircut, and juggling her schoolwork and her acting. You can read the rest of the article here. Thanks very much to Bea for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

Diagonalley_thumb

I adore her interviews!

Posted by devilskinn on November 28, 2010, 05:29 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

She is so put together and mature, it’s very endearing. Well done Emma!

Posted by eccentricalice on November 28, 2010, 06:23 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Great interview, it’s fantastic that the hp trio have remained down to earth, I really admire Emma for juggling so much stuff in her life, and doing it so well! Good on the other students at her uni.

Posted by Fawkes1706 on November 28, 2010, 06:40 AM report to moderator
781875269_029f43fa6f_thumb

A nice interview. The trio are very close…. didn’t we all know this? xD But, it’s nice to know Emma wasn’t bothered to much in uni, have a great time Emma!

Posted by ashim_gryffindor (Roar!) on November 28, 2010, 09:42 AM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

Very nice interview. Emma has really done an amazing job handling everything in her college not many people could do that but I can say I am not surprised Emma was able to accomplish it. :)

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on November 28, 2010, 10:05 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Thats a great interview! She is awesome!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 28, 2010, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Wow that’s sounds brilliant! I didn’t think Rupert would be the “confident” type, cause usually everywhere else he keeps to himself. Its quite hard to imagine Dan as the quiet shy one, cause usually he’s cracking up jokes all the time!

146_thumb

What a great interview :)
It’s nice that the people at Brown are so respectful of her. And it’s also nice hearing that she’s quite close with Dan and Rupert.
Emma is such a good role model. She really is someone worth looking up to.

Posted by Darth Mary on November 28, 2010, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

This was a nice interview. I’m so glad Emma became so classy and a down to earth person compared to other actresses of the same age range. Glad she is enjoying her time in college too.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 28, 2010, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

This was a very nice article. I love Emma so much and it’s amazing to see just how well she’s managed to fit in with the rest of the college community.

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on November 28, 2010, 06:14 PM report to moderator

Wow, she’s such a great role model. I’m really really really glad she’s not going all berserk like many of the popular young actors of our modern society. They all seem like a pretty good bunch of kids! I love her positive, determined attitude! She’s great! :)

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on November 28, 2010, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

<3 good interview, nothing but love for Emma.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on November 28, 2010, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

A Wonderful Interview indeed!!!! Emma’s haircut was quite a shock for me at first!!! but I do think it looks adoreable now!!!! She has turned into quite the Young Lady, and an AWESOME Actress!!!! Watching her grow up on the Set of Harry Potter has been a Privilage indeed!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on November 29, 2010, 07:28 AM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

awww :)
she is such a great role model, i really look up to her :)

in the daily mirror (on saturday) it said that more teenage girls look up to hermione than cheryl cole :) :) :) :) :)

Emma’s a brilliant actress !

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on November 29, 2010, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_pigwidgeon__thumb

she handles herself well:)

Posted by pigwey on November 29, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit. When it bit me he told me off for frightening it. And when I left, he was singing it a lullaby."