Helena Bonham Carter Talks About The "Terrifying" Bellatrix Lestrange

Bonham Carter Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
November 27, 2010, 03:19 PM

A new profile from the LA Times Hero Complex blog focuses on Helena Bonham Carter and her infamous portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange in the "Harry Potter" films.

The actress talks about her career and family, but also explains how she developed Bellatrix's character for the films.

“Bellatrix has really good fun, and she’s been a bit of surprise to me, in fact,” Bonham Carter said. “It wasn’t really there on the page. When I took it on, I found there wasn’t a huge amount to go by in the script, and I read the book and she wasn’t necessarily on the page there either, so I did ask [director] David Yates if I could bring a bit of other things or are these the Bibles? And he said yes, certainly, and apparently J.K. Rowling was very pleased with it when she saw it, and the childish dimension and the fact that she’s totally savage, that was a bit of departure.”
"I just felt she had to make an impression because there wasn’t much time in which to do so. And she had to be terrifying. She needed to be somebody you didn’t know what to feel towards. One moment she’s horribly revolting but then also weirdly sexy, maybe, or just disturbing to the mind when you watch her. There’s a lot of decaying, too, with the bad teeth. She’s been in prison for so long. The mad hair. She’s someone who has seen better times but still carries herself with the memory of what she was."
Bonham Carter also praises the crew working on the Harry Potter films and likens the experience to belonging to a "nice tribe."
“I love going back year after year. It’s refreshing. A lot of times in this business, it’s so transitory — it’s just 10 weeks here or there on a movie and then it’s over – but to see the same people over all that time, a decade, makes you feel really safe and secure. It was fantastically well-organized, the [assistant directors] are simply unbelievable, the best...It has been perfect for me, and I will miss it.”
More about Helena Bonham Carter and her thoughts about Bellatrix can be read at the LA Times. The interview also has some great information about Bonham Carter's next film, The King's Speech.

Thank you Jamie for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Bonham Carter Interviews News

she is amazing as Bellatrix…just how I imagined

Posted by AurorHJH on November 29, 2010, 05:54 PM report to moderator

She did a good job on Bellatrix, not very many people would be able to do it as good as her. We Love her very very much!!!!!

Posted by 9em on November 29, 2010, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter Plays the role of Bellatrix Excellently!!!! I don’t believe there is anyone else who could have captured the role better!!!! She is an AWESOME Actress!!! I also loved her in Alice in Wonderland, The Sweeney Todd, She just plays her part/role Outstandingly!!! and really has a tallent for bringing the Character to Life!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on November 30, 2010, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Helena is an amazing actress, and I am safe to say that she is one of, if not, the best adult actress in the films. Iove her in every movie that I’ve seen her in. I got really annoyed when the media went ballistic when she said she took parenting classes. It went from “I take parenting classes..” to “Carter Admits She’s a Bad Parent!” Sorry for the random rant, but, media, find something else that’s actually important to write on!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on November 30, 2010, 11:37 PM report to moderator
58118_132230363492317_100001160614391_151843_1249933_n_thumb

I love Bellztrix and i think Helen did a great job portraying her!

Posted by JK.jr. on December 01, 2010, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_leyh30bfds1qd7uhgo1_500_thumb

she fits the role perfectly! Helena Bonham Cartar, you are the BEST!!! :D

Posted by chuzzle on December 01, 2010, 05:32 PM report to moderator

I can’t imagine anyone else but Helena playing Bellatrix! I love her representation but still hate her for being Bellatrix at the same time and that’s what I love most :)

Posted by MaiWood (ROAR) on December 04, 2010, 08:49 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter – one of the most underrated actresses, I think! I loved her in “Margaret’s Museum”, and have been adoring her ever since. She did such and amazing job playing the character of Bellatrix. She notes the differences between Bellatrix in the canon, and the character on screen, and I think that shows her understanding of the need to portray that madness in an open, impressionable sort of way in the films so that the audience ‘gets’ her mindset, and her perspective…it’s brilliant, and I don’t think anyone else could have played a better Bella.

Posted by Smitch on January 23, 2011, 09:46 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lkwe3vm7jt1qjfloto1_500_thumb

I LOVE THAT WOMAN. I adore her. In some years I’m moving to London just to walk by hers and Tims apartment every day (and maybe do a little bit of studying)..

Posted by Elise Lestrange on May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"You could've fried an egg on your face" said Ron. "You'd better hope Creevey doesn't meet Ginny, or they'll be starting a Harry Potter fan club."[br]"Shut up," snapped Harry.