USA Today Profiles "Harry Potter" Trio's Transition into Adulthood

Trio Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
December 01, 2010, 11:04 PM

USA Today has a new article about the Harry Potter trio and their future plans now that they are transitioning into adulthood.

Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), and Emma Watson (Hermione) filmed their final scene together over the summer. Grint commented on how anticlimactic it felt filming the final scene of the franchise.

"It's been such a long time," Grint says. "And it was such a random little scene. I was soaking wet. The three of us jump through a fireplace on a crash land, and that was it. It felt like it should be ending on something a bit more meaningful, but that's how it was."
Radcliffe talks about his next two projects: a film, the Woman in Black, which he's currently shooting, and the Broadway musical How to Succeed in Business (Without Really Trying). The play will open in February.
"I'm the first person to play the role this young," he says. Previously, Finch has been played by Robert Morse and Matthew Broderick. "I think it adds a dimension when someone who's playing it is actually as young as the character," says Radcliffe, who has put in hours of singing and dance training. (In his spare time, Radcliffe is a music aficionado and plays the bass.)
The actor relishes playing someone as "manipulative and conniving and almost Falstaffian" as the ambitious Finch, a character who is light-years away from the idealistic and heroic Harry Potter.
"Everything Finch does is morally reprehensible," he says. "But you kind of back him. How to Succeed in Business is about somebody who never lets his morals get in the way of his ambition."
Watson will continue her studies at Brown University in Rhode Island, but she is also eager to dabble in different activities, including theatre.

"I haven't been a stage actress. It really is a different ballgame. People kind of expect that I should be incredibly confident, but no, this is not what I'm trained in.
"If I'm in front of a camera, I'm very comfortable, but to be on a stage, you can't do a second take. You can't go back. It's frightening, but still, I like the adrenaline of knowing you get one shot. And the energy you get from a good audience, if they're really into it, is like nothing else."
Meanwhile, Grint is taking things slowly, "reading scripts and happily working on his golf."
"I'm just being a bit patient and waiting for the right thing," he says. "I'm not in a real rush. This last shoot was more than a year and a half and I'm pretty exhausted, really. Now that I'm finished, there's a real sense of freedom."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Trio Interviews News

Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

Totally AWESOME!!! I can’t wait to see The Woman in Black!!! I think Dan will be AWESOME in it!!!!! I don’t know if I will even have the opportunity to see How to suceed in Business, I don’t think those of us who live here will have an opportunity to do so!! It would be nice if we could!!!
I know that the trio Dan, Rupert, & Emma will remain close friends, because the three of them have a special bond, one that will last throughout time itself!!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on December 02, 2010, 07:43 AM report to moderator

Has Rupert ever -I mean EVER -in ten years ONCE said something even slightly memorable ?

Posted by Beazle on December 02, 2010, 08:27 AM report to moderator

I’m really looking forward to see them in other movies. Or maybe some guest roles on TV :)

Posted by Firnantok on December 02, 2010, 09:14 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Finally saw DH. I LOVED IT. After OOTP and especially HBP, I had been skeptical about Yates, but I really enjoyed it. Even though I knew the story, it kept me on the edge of my seat. There were so many sad moments, particularly Dobby’s death and Hermione obliterating her parents’ memories. Both very touching.

I especially loved seeing Rupert & Emma get such meaty roles in this film. I thought they both knocked it out of the park. IMO, Rupert has always been a very good actor but was basically stuck with “scraps” for the most part in HP. And although I thought Emma was great in POA, she really came into her own in DH. Her torture scene really gave me chills! I also thought Tom Felton, Rhys Ifans, and Helena Bonham Carter were great and Dobby and Kreacher were simply perfect. GREAT JOB all around!!!

@Beazle, I think Rupert’s best performances are on screen and not in interviews, but that’s true of more than a few actors. Your constant trashing of the guy is sounding a bit obsessive.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on December 02, 2010, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I’d love to see Dan on Broadway. How can I get my husband to go with me to NY to do this? He know my obsession with Harry Potter, but now he’ll just think I’m nuts.

By the way, am I the only one that wasn’t that sad when Dobby died? I certainly didn’t cry. Even in the book I didn’t feel very sad – I felt for Harry as it was another death he had to suffer through, but as far as the character itself – eh. (I did almost cry when Hermione wiped her parent’s memories however)

Posted by sueml on December 02, 2010, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Poster_thumb

I’m so happy for them, but its strange to hear of them going their separate ways(as i knew they eventually would). I will also be following their next projects with interest :)

Posted by skittles on December 02, 2010, 04:45 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

I’m hoping to see Dan on Broadway this summer!
Hoping it’ll be good :)

Posted by Darth Mary on December 02, 2010, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

All three of them are really great role models! I am sure whatever they do will be awesome! It would be cool to hear Dan sing!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 02, 2010, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Sunsethogwarts_thumb

YES THEY ALL GROWN UP NOW BEST TO THEM ALL.

Posted by PHONELADY on December 02, 2010, 06:41 PM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

It’s great that they are getting to try new things. I wish them much luck! Good luck in golf Rupert! Don’t get a boogey!!! :)

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on December 02, 2010, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Mv5bmje0njy5mte2nv5bml5banbnxkftztywnzu4mtk1

I loved watching them all grow up, and grow up with all of us! So glad the entire cast stayed throughout the years!!…so weird to see them all separated in different prjs, but im soo excited to see them all go off and do well!

Posted by Beckster235 on December 02, 2010, 10:30 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I hope and I think hey will always be friends and stay in touch no matter what they are doing or where they are – hope they all do well and are there for each other

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on December 02, 2010, 10:43 PM report to moderator
19961_295278227280_850597280_3220270_6993096_n_thumb

long live the radcliffe!

emma was great in balletshoes
and rupert in driving lessons.

i hope they are in many more things to come!

Posted by AbbieAstoria on December 03, 2010, 03:40 PM report to moderator

Good for all of them. May they have continued success in all that they do. Emma will conquer the stage at some point and be just great. Rupert will continue to go his own way and it will be amazing. Dan will always be a star and they will all be wonderfully down to earth forever. At least we hope they will.

Posted by hewy on December 03, 2010, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I’ve never really had the patience for golf…the one time I played I ended up crashing my cart into a giant bolder…

Posted by Jacket on December 05, 2010, 04:29 PM report to moderator

"Couldn't remember all the goblin rebels' names, so I invented a few. It's all right," he said, helping himself to a Cornish pasty, while Mrs. Weasley looked stern, "they're all called stuff like Bodrod the Bearded and Urg the Unclean; it wasn't hard."