"Deathly Hallows" Split Rumors: Malfoy Manor Sequence to be in Part Two?

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
February 24, 2010, 12:26 AM

As a follow up to our report earlier today, actress Helena Bonham Carter has given further detail about her turn as Hermione Granger playing Bellatrix Lestrage in the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" films.  A new interview from MTV has appeared online in which the actress comments on the placement of the Malfoy Manor sequence in the final films, relating that her appearance comes in Part Two.  MTV reports:

The scene itself falls near the middle of the "Deathly Hallows" novel — but Bonham Carter's next statement might shed some important light on where the books will be split, a point on which the "Potter" crew have been elusive.
"I can't remember where they are going to cut," she explained, then remembered. "Yeah, [the scene is] definitely in the second one, because all of my stuff is in the second one. So you won't see me until 2011."
The report continues with additional quotes from Ms. Bonham Carter about her experience playing Hermione acting as Bellatrix during the Gringotts Break In sequence, as well as the reasoning behind this decision.  Quoteage:
After J.K. Rowling wrote the scene in the final "Potter" book, the film series' producers were faced with a difficult question: Was it preferable to use makeup and CGI to make Watson look like Bonham Carter, or have the older actress act like the younger?
"Rather than put Emma Watson in a helluva load of make-up they just said, 'Now you go act like Hermione,' " Bonham Carter said of their decision. "That was fun, because I always wanted to be Hermione.  "It was great fun," she said of the scene. "[I was] looking at Dan [Radcliffe] and Rupert [Grint] and they were treating me as if I was 17."
A clip of the interview is available to watch here.  To date, no official word has been released regarding where exactly the two "Deathly Hallows" films will be split.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

I would like to see the cut be right after Roon comes back, and has time to settle again, and then we here Fenrir Grayback says come out we know you are in there!!!! I hope they show everything at Shell Cottage and ALL of what happens at Malfoy Manor (especially Dobby’s part). I know I will be bawling/crying big time when Harry is digging Dobby’s grave. I wish that we did not have to say goodbye to Dobby at ALL!! I will also be sad to loose Fred, Tonks, Lupin and Collin. I will NOT be said when Molly kills Bellatrix and when Harry finishes off THE DARK LORD/Voldemort.

Posted by Mistic Willow on February 24, 2010, 11:21 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

Whoops I ment Ron, forgive the spelling!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on February 24, 2010, 11:21 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

ginnyshiel, shooting schedules are almost never chronological. When they shoot a scene isn’t an indication of where it’s going to be in the movie. They could have shot Shell Cottage at that time only because that’s when they had all the actors in that scene available to shoot, or because of the location, etc.

There’s still a chance that scene may be in part I, though. Nothing is set in stone until they finish the film, have screenings and get feedback, tweak the film and then have the final cut.

Posted by Felipe on February 24, 2010, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

It will be better to do it at the Snatcher’s scene. Then they can introduce Malfoy Manor for the first time in the second film without having to recap.

Posted by AbiDumbledore on February 24, 2010, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

I think the snatchers scene is a great place to split up the movie! You have the trio cornered, the sword in Greyback’s claws, and that ratchets up the suspense perfectly.

Posted by Max Power on February 24, 2010, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Hmmm very interesting….. to me, it doesn’t really matter where they cut it, as long as they do it properly. I kinda wish Helena was in the first one, and not just the second…. she is awesome! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on February 24, 2010, 12:24 PM report to moderator

I don’t care where the split is too much. I’m just glad they’re making it into two movies.
She seemed to really enjoy playing Hermione. I can’t wait to see her playing Hermione. It’s going to be so different and weird seeing Bellatrix act like Hermione.

Posted by FGFG on February 24, 2010, 12:28 PM report to moderator
Ast2_thumb

The two parts film idea is great!

Posted by Manipedro on February 24, 2010, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Great interview. Definitely excited. My only confusion is that she says we won’t see any Bellatrix until Part 2? Did they cut her out of the opening scene in Malfoy Manor or are they cutting that scene? I wonder. She could have just lost track. She may appear briefly in the beginning but the real meat of her performance will be in part 2.

Posted by eiVega on February 24, 2010, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Hikerpugs1_thumb

I expect the film will end at a place of resolution, like after the Silver Doe but before the snatchers. To end with the snatchers feels cheesy, like a To Be Continued 2-part TV show rather than a full length movie. With Pirates of the Carib. 2, they ended with everyone (else) heading to safety, and Cap’n Jack stepping into Certain Death – which you know just can’t be, so there’s your sequel set up. I think it’ll be more like that – the group is back together, safe, and then have some serious reminder of how much there’s left to do.

Posted by rosepug on February 24, 2010, 01:32 PM report to moderator

The interview with HBC was great. I love how eccentric she is and i love her hair. I wish I could pull that look off not being famous. It seems like dividing it into two parts will cut a lot of actors out of the first part but it is definitely better to do it that way.

Posted by gingerr_kat on February 24, 2010, 01:40 PM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

eiVega, I asked the same thing. Maybe she’s confused? Also people keep saying we’ll be first introduced to the Malfoy Mannor in Pt2, when Pt1 movie should start at the Malfoy Mannor…

Posted by Felipe on February 24, 2010, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Stinkaavatar_thumb

The suspense only serves people that have not read the books! It makes no sense to cliff hang a movie that has a book as source material.

Posted by stinka on February 24, 2010, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I’m still for the Silver doe ending! woot woot!

Posted by Matea on February 24, 2010, 02:55 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

cant wait

Posted by LilLadySnape on February 24, 2010, 03:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Well -- it's not funny really -- but as it's Filch," he said. "A Squib is someone who was born into a wizarding family but hasn't got any magic powers. Kind of the opposite of Muggle-born wizards, but Squibs are quite unusual."