Shirley Henderson Interviewed by STV: "Loved" Being in Harry Potter

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
February 25, 2010, 06:49 PM

Shirley Henderson (Moaning Myrtle) has given a rare interview to Scottish television network, STV in which she talks about her role in the Harry Potter films, her frequent casting as over-emotional characters and upcoming projects. A video of the interview can be found right here in the Leaky Video Galleries.

Henderson spoke of how she became a Harry Potter fan and her absence from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows":

I think they just have to make that decision of who's going to be there and who's not. And it's very much about the love interest now, it's a little bit more serious... less silly characters like me! I miss it, I loved doing it. I would've liked to still be involved.
The actress also revealed how the scenes with Moaning Myrtle are shot. Henderson explained that she was present when the camera was on the other actors in the scene, "really in the swimming pool and really swimming towards Harry and doing all the voice," for example, but was "in a big green empty warehouse" when the camera focused on her:
I found [acting against a green screen] very difficult to begin with, also because I'm up in the sky. So I am strapped to a bicycle seat with my legs clamped down tight so I don’t fall off it and pushed, swivelling through the air and trying to hit marks and imagine how Harry would be reacting. So at first it's technically very difficult but I got to love it and they're a lovely team of people.
Shirley Henderson's latest film, "Life During Wartime" was shown at the Glasgow Film Festival 2010 on the 23rd of February and will be released on the 23rd of April.

Many thanks to Sue for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

Herbdcdr_thumb

Oh, Moaning Myrtle just * HAS * to be in the final fight at Hogwarts scenes!!! I can hardly believe they wouldn’t have her in it fighting for Hogwarts! Henderson was terrific as Myrtle!!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on February 25, 2010, 07:05 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

I think she was in original Bridget Jones movie also.

Posted by taoist1 on February 25, 2010, 07:14 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it is to act in front of a green screen while also being flung around the air on a bicycle seat. Wicked.

Posted by vespasian68967 on February 25, 2010, 07:20 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

She is brilliant as oaning Myrtle. I aslo thought she made an excelent shrew in the taming of, for a BBC adaptation, it was brilliant

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 25, 2010, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

She is a wonderful Moaning Mrytle and wish we had seen her more in the films. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on February 25, 2010, 08:26 PM report to moderator

Moaning Myrtle must have been such a fun part for her to get to act like that. I wish she was in Deathly Hallows. Myrtle is such an important character because she is one of the first people Voldemort kills and it would be a nice tie in to have her there at the end.

Posted by gingerr_kat on February 25, 2010, 08:35 PM report to moderator

I really wish we could see more of her!

Posted by Lizzary on February 25, 2010, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

She was a fantastic Moaning Myrtle!

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on February 25, 2010, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

She was an amazing Moaning Myrtle and its pretty cool how the film her!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 25, 2010, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is a pity that she is not returning for the final two films as this particular character. She really did give us a wonderful and amusing Moaning Myrtle!

Posted by Kirk on February 25, 2010, 09:52 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

i will never forget you myrtle

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on February 25, 2010, 09:54 PM report to moderator
Img_4237_thumb

I wish she was in it!! Shirley is a sweetie.

Posted by Taylor on February 25, 2010, 11:52 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Myrtle was a memorable ghost. It’s a shame she’s not back for the final films, though completely understandable.

Posted by leigia on February 26, 2010, 01:48 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

She was the perfect Myrtle!! Too bad they didnt bring her back for DH.

Posted by LunaLuver on February 26, 2010, 02:38 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

Her performance as Myrtle was pure delight !! Spot on would be an understatement. She is also actually so much older than the character ( I think over 30) – but she looks incredibly young as Myrtle. It’s a shame she isn’t in DH, it’s also a shame that Trelawny and Slughorn get missed out as well.

Posted by siena on February 26, 2010, 06:11 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Sirius, Dumbledore said no!"[br]A bearlike black dog had appeared at Harry's side as Harry clambered over the various trunks cluttering the hall to get to Mrs. Weasley.[br]"Oh honestly..." said Mrs. Weasley despairingly, "well, on