Shirley Henderson Interviewed by STV: "Loved" Being in Harry Potter

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
February 25, 2010, 06:49 PM

Shirley Henderson (Moaning Myrtle) has given a rare interview to Scottish television network, STV in which she talks about her role in the Harry Potter films, her frequent casting as over-emotional characters and upcoming projects. A video of the interview can be found right here in the Leaky Video Galleries.

Henderson spoke of how she became a Harry Potter fan and her absence from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows":

I think they just have to make that decision of who's going to be there and who's not. And it's very much about the love interest now, it's a little bit more serious... less silly characters like me! I miss it, I loved doing it. I would've liked to still be involved.
The actress also revealed how the scenes with Moaning Myrtle are shot. Henderson explained that she was present when the camera was on the other actors in the scene, "really in the swimming pool and really swimming towards Harry and doing all the voice," for example, but was "in a big green empty warehouse" when the camera focused on her:
I found [acting against a green screen] very difficult to begin with, also because I'm up in the sky. So I am strapped to a bicycle seat with my legs clamped down tight so I don’t fall off it and pushed, swivelling through the air and trying to hit marks and imagine how Harry would be reacting. So at first it's technically very difficult but I got to love it and they're a lovely team of people.
Shirley Henderson's latest film, "Life During Wartime" was shown at the Glasgow Film Festival 2010 on the 23rd of February and will be released on the 23rd of April.

Many thanks to Sue for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

Harry_snl_thumb

Very interesting article — she is the perfect Myrtle. Wish we’d see her in DH, though.

Green_sea_turtle_thumb

She was very fine in Dr Who.
It’s regrettable she’ll not be in the Deathly Hallows.

Posted by Butterfly Boy on February 26, 2010, 08:26 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

It is amazing how they are able to make it look so real! And what the actors have to go through. But it is worth it to be part of such a historic and fun set of films.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on February 26, 2010, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Hermione3_thumb

I love moaning myrtle

Posted by hpemmapie on February 26, 2010, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Snape_icons_collage_thumb

She is such an excellent actor!!! It’s really too bad that she’s not coming back though… She was really good!!! =)

Posted by jhlovesmusic {^HISS^} on February 26, 2010, 11:18 AM report to moderator

I thought she was a good Myrtle !!

Posted by Mew5645 on February 26, 2010, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

she was so great, too bad she was only in one movie. it’s so hard to believe that she was 40 when she filmed CoS !!

• I LOVE SCOTTISH ACCENT!
Posted by DesQueJteVois on February 26, 2010, 11:39 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

No! She should be in DH!! :-(

(and Slughorn isn’t in DH either?!?! WHAT?!)

Posted by Felipe on February 26, 2010, 12:20 PM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

It’s awesome that she loves HP so much :)
But, it’s too bad that Myrtle is being cut from DH :o
With DH being two movies I was really hoping they would include more people and storylines …

Posted by Moose_Starr on February 26, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

She won’t be in DH? that’s just sad.

Posted by Matea on February 26, 2010, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Hiding behind a green screen AND being unexpectedly swung around in the air while trying to be Myrtle must have been hard!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on February 26, 2010, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

wow, she definitely looks different in real life than as moaning myrtle! too bad we won’t be seeing her in another potter film :/

Posted by harrygetsme on February 26, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Myrtle hasn’t been cut from DH because she wasn’t ever in it. Perhaps she is helping in the battle (eg. carrying messages) or perhaps she is hiding in her U-bend, but I am pretty sure she is never mentioned in the book so we simply don’t know.

Posted by roonwit on February 26, 2010, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Loved her as Moaning Myrlte and i couldn’t believe how much older she is compared to the character age. She is blessed with some good genes.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on February 26, 2010, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

oh she has also has been in the movie wild child with emma roberts

Posted by alicia00 on February 27, 2010, 08:10 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels," George explained, seeing Harry's puzzled look. "Bill got twelve, too. If we're not careful, we'll have another Head Boy in the family. I don't think I could stand the shame."