J.K. Rowling to be Turned Into Special Edition Barbie Doll

Toys
Posted by: Rosi
February 03, 2010, 06:04 PM

A Sky News article reveals today that a one-of-a-kind J.K. Rowling Barbie doll will be showcased at the world's largest toy fair in Nuremberg, Germany, dressed in a "black wool suit and hot pink top combination." U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey, German prime minister Angela Merkel, 2009 U.S. Open winner Kim Clijsters and Swedish Crown Princess Victoria are among the other women to be turned into special edition Barbie dolls for their "role model" status, although the dolls will not go on general sale.

The senior vice president of Barbie International, Rosa Zeegers, commented on why these particular women were selected:

They are true models for girls of all ages, embodying the essence and values of Barbie.
Whether you are four years old or 70 years old, we all need aspirational role models in our lives.
The outfit chosen for the J.K. Rowling doll is based on her wardrobe choice for the 2009 Monsters and Critics Award Banquet.

Many thanks to MuggleNet for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Toys News

Harry_potter_thumb

very cool

Posted by Lady of the Lake on February 04, 2010, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Picture_324_thumb

Mmmm… I’m not a fan of the idea. Jo is an excellent role model (she’s been mine for years), but a Barbie? Really? At least they won’t be sold to the public.

Posted by Scribbled [WBM] on February 04, 2010, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I think its so cool and such an honour but i also have this bizarre desire to crack up and laugh for like the rest of my life! hehehe! the idea of a replica of Jo in 11.5’ platic doll, is kinda funny! I REALLY WANT ONE THOUGH!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 04, 2010, 11:42 AM report to moderator
Dl_10_thumb

hmmmmmm hopefully its a good barbie!

Posted by GinnyPotter:) on February 04, 2010, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

:/ Oh dear, oh dear…. that’s just… not good…

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 04, 2010, 11:52 AM report to moderator

LOL! cool! i want to see it!

Posted by on February 04, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator

whoaa i saw it! :O it looks just like her! (in a way)

Posted by on February 04, 2010, 12:01 PM report to moderator
05230215470101_thumb

JK Rowling.. as a Barbie? Well, I guess she had to be okay with it…..

Posted by Gryffipuff! on February 04, 2010, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Img_4237_thumb

I’m so happy they’re doing real role models!

Posted by Taylor on February 04, 2010, 12:05 PM report to moderator
05230215470101_thumb

What I meant was, before they could have the “okay” to do this, I would think that JK would have to give consent. Wouldn’t she? If it’s good enough for her…

Posted by Gryffipuff! on February 04, 2010, 12:05 PM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

I was going to say “Poor Jo!!”, til I saw that they weren’t going to be for general sale. It’s more okay now. But still, Barbie isn’t exactly what I tie in with the term role model, but who knows. Maybe it’s changed since I was into those dolls. :/

Posted by Kissa on February 04, 2010, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

I agree with you Goury. wth?!?!?!

Edith___thumb

I agree with you Goury. wth?!?!?!

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Although I am pleased that she was included among this list of women as a role model for young women, I am afraid that the very concept of Barbies gives many a young female the wrong aspirations in life. Barbies induce in many the conviction that they must use their bodies in order to achieve success when they do not.

Posted by Kirk on February 04, 2010, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Posted by Kirk on February 04, 2010, 01:13 PM report to moderator

"There was a meeting, Miss Edgecombe, you told me about it, in the Room of Requirement! And Potter was the leader, was he not, Potter organized it, Potter -- [i]why are you shaking your head, girl?"[/i][br]"Well, usually when a person shakes their head,"