J.K. Rowling to be Turned Into Special Edition Barbie Doll

Toys
Posted by: Rosi
February 03, 2010, 06:04 PM

A Sky News article reveals today that a one-of-a-kind J.K. Rowling Barbie doll will be showcased at the world's largest toy fair in Nuremberg, Germany, dressed in a "black wool suit and hot pink top combination." U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey, German prime minister Angela Merkel, 2009 U.S. Open winner Kim Clijsters and Swedish Crown Princess Victoria are among the other women to be turned into special edition Barbie dolls for their "role model" status, although the dolls will not go on general sale.

The senior vice president of Barbie International, Rosa Zeegers, commented on why these particular women were selected:

They are true models for girls of all ages, embodying the essence and values of Barbie.
Whether you are four years old or 70 years old, we all need aspirational role models in our lives.
The outfit chosen for the J.K. Rowling doll is based on her wardrobe choice for the 2009 Monsters and Critics Award Banquet.

Many thanks to MuggleNet for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Toys News

Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

hmm,that’s..just…weird…Jo as a barbie?

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on February 04, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator

thats very weird.. i mean it’s cool she’s a doll but Barbie aren’t the best chose in my opinion… i mean the shape of them gives a bad impression to young girls…

Posted by Freya-Storm on February 04, 2010, 09:48 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I like the idea of the role model Barbie, but agree with gingerr_kat, I have never seen one that looks like the person they are supposed to depict.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on February 04, 2010, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Wicked_poster_by_pixarjunkie_thumb

I want that Barbie!!! I love that Jo is totally improving Barbie’s message… I just love her. (Jo, I mean. Not Barbie.)

Posted by Scylla on February 05, 2010, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

WOW I think that is pretty Cool, and if JKR does not have any objections, it is pretty AWESOME!!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on February 05, 2010, 12:36 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

This is interesting, and pretty cool! I bet it would be weird seeing yourself as a doll, could you imagine!

Posted by Rosie016 on February 05, 2010, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Eeewww…that’s just creepy. Of all the honors to be bestowed on JKR, I would not consider “Barbie-ism” one of them!

Posted by Lillylove on February 05, 2010, 01:15 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I also agree with Goury – not a good move – I understand the “role model” aspect but that is what she already is….the commercialism cheapens that – perhaps well intentioned but misses the mark!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on February 05, 2010, 01:57 AM report to moderator
Img_0409note_thumb

hmmm, i dunno….those damn dolls never look right…

Posted by Fayebeline on February 05, 2010, 01:58 AM report to moderator
S515055255_79825_2635_thumb

barbie??
idk bout that
ahaha
im not a big fan of barbies though…

Posted by clever-ravenclaw=] on February 05, 2010, 02:41 AM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

cool! i loovedd barbies when i was little! what a great group of women for this honor :)

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on February 05, 2010, 03:36 AM report to moderator
Marauders_thumb

Although I’m surprised she’d do this, I am pretty disappointed that they aren’t selling this to everyone because I have a pretty large collectible Barbie collection from when I was younger.

Posted by padfoot4ever12 on February 05, 2010, 03:38 AM report to moderator

’Barbie’Jo looks as if she’s just won Miss World!

Posted by jain on February 05, 2010, 05:01 AM report to moderator
2011-11-26-67306_thumb

Yes, she’s a role model – do we really need ‘Barbie’ to tell us that?!

Posted by kissofdecember on February 05, 2010, 05:06 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

WHAT?? A BARBIE DOLL?!?!? Okay, this is really bad…

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on February 05, 2010, 05:49 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"My dear, you were undoubtedly stimulated by the extraordinary clairvoyant vibrations of my room!" said Professor Trelawney. "If you leave now, you may lose the opportunity to see further than you have ever --"[br]"I don't want to see anything except a he