More Details About Godric's Hollow Scenes Filmed in "Ethereal" Lavenham

DH Film
Posted by: Rosi
March 26, 2010, 06:51 PM

The Suffolk Free Press has a few more details on the filming that took place on the 29th of January in the mediƦval village of Lavenham, Suffolk. No members of the cast were present for the scenes shot in the village in January, but the paper reports, "Harry Potter and Hermione Granger will be added through computer wizardry." Jane Gosling, the manager of Lavenham Guildhall, commented on further digital adjustments such as editing out modern houses. The Guildhall itself (which is a National Trust building), says Gosling, was used as the house of Lily and James Potter. The article cites Lavenham's ""ethereal" quality" as the reason why location managers chose the village "as the basis for Godric's Hollow."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

The_master_close_up_thumb

I really, really hope they do these scenes well. There’s so many great bits in DH that I’m cringing about thinking how they might translate to screen.

Posted by vespasian68967 on March 26, 2010, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Nice looking house. Since I didn’t picture what the house would be like in my head while reading the books, any house would do…so this one doesn’t look too bad.

Posted by leigia on March 26, 2010, 11:51 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

this makes me even more stoked to see this movie

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on March 27, 2010, 12:18 AM report to moderator

everyone’s gotta remember that when harry and hermionie see the house its all crumbled, the only other time we see it is with voldemort’s memory

Posted by hallows or horcruxes? on March 27, 2010, 01:38 AM report to moderator
Is22581022_thumb

“I agree with Iceholic. Ah I hate when they do stuff like that.”
But they always do it. There are no hogwarts hill sides. Hogwarts hardly ever physically behind them during a scene outside. It’s all done in post production so what’s the big deal if they aren’t actually at THIS set?

Posted by YodatheHobbit on March 27, 2010, 02:16 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Ooo Godric’s Hollow! I also pictured a smaller house in my mind, but still can’t wait to see James and Lily’s place come to life finally.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on March 27, 2010, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

It’s not the fact that they weren’t at this particular set, it’s the fact that someone mentioned it and reminded it to me. I know it’s all done on the green screen, but I prefer to believe it isn’t. It keeps my fantasy world intact. Thinking of all the technicalities ruins the magic for me. That’s why I never watch “making of’s” and stuff like that. See it this way: we all know magic doesn’t exist, but when we’re reading the books it does exist.

Actors don’t exist, only the characters they play ;)

Anyway, I wasn’t really complaining, just sharing my feelings on that matter.

Posted by Iceholic on March 27, 2010, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Omg I can’t believe I’m seeing Lily and James house! It looks perfect just like I always though the Potter home would look. I’m so excited for the Godric Hollow part! Squee!!!! I can’t wait!!

Posted by LunaLuver on March 27, 2010, 03:34 AM report to moderator
Img_2315_face0_thumb

The house is pretty different in my head…. But I can see this working as well….

Posted by Nicci Weasley on March 27, 2010, 03:39 AM report to moderator

It looks just like I imagined it YAY!

Posted by Evagirl on March 27, 2010, 04:17 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Yeah,I wonder if they will cast two different actors as Harry & Hermione,bcoz they took polyjuice potion and transformed into a muggle man and his wife….but there’s also a chance that they might cut that polyjuice part out & keep them as Harry and Hermione,undisguised…probably under the Cloak?

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 27, 2010, 05:01 AM report to moderator
Luna-lovegood-800_thumb

really this house looks more like a mansion than a cottage……………………………….not vat i thought

Posted by swetahyd on March 27, 2010, 05:38 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Awesome!!!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on March 27, 2010, 05:51 AM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

Cool. I don’t mind, they have more than proven themselves with CGI. I hope they make the house look more damaged.

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on March 27, 2010, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

This is the second building in Deathly Hallows that really jars for me. I loathed Shell Cottage as shown in the photographs in our news items, it was an architectural horror, far too Disneyesque. In the book Harry puts his hands on the garden gate of his parents’ cottage, Lavenham Guildhall main door opens onto the street! I really question the taste of the people involved in this final production.

Posted by Graymayne on March 27, 2010, 06:28 AM report to moderator

[Mrs. Weasley] pointed to the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!" she said, swelling with pride.[br]"And last," Fred muttered under his breath.