More Details About Godric's Hollow Scenes Filmed in "Ethereal" Lavenham

DH Film
Posted by: Rosi
March 26, 2010, 06:51 PM

The Suffolk Free Press has a few more details on the filming that took place on the 29th of January in the mediæval village of Lavenham, Suffolk. No members of the cast were present for the scenes shot in the village in January, but the paper reports, "Harry Potter and Hermione Granger will be added through computer wizardry." Jane Gosling, the manager of Lavenham Guildhall, commented on further digital adjustments such as editing out modern houses. The Guildhall itself (which is a National Trust building), says Gosling, was used as the house of Lily and James Potter. The article cites Lavenham's ""ethereal" quality" as the reason why location managers chose the village "as the basis for Godric's Hollow."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Banana_l_thumb

@nwrosey, it says in the news clip: “The Guildhall itself (which is a National Trust building), says Gosling, was used as the house of Lily and James Potter.”

Posted by Iceholic on March 27, 2010, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I can’t wait to see Godric’s Hollow I’ve been wondering what it would look like.

Posted by Jacket on March 27, 2010, 04:43 PM report to moderator

I pictured the Godric Hallow houses to be single story. I hope they make it snow because it was in the book! GO GODRICK’S HALLOW! I wonder how they will do the snake thing in Bathilda’s house…

Posted by rumble_roar on March 27, 2010, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That sounds so exciting! I seriously can’t control my excitement! Why don’t the Deathly Hallows come out right now if everything is ready!

They are really making the wait for the first installment extremely difficult!!
Please hurry but get it right!

Posted by hewy on March 27, 2010, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Always_thumb

Amazing! It’s almost exactly like I imagined Godric’s Hollow. @ seidenschnabel- Good observation, I’d almost forgotten they had Polyjuice in that scene. I hope they get that right.

Posted by obiwancrazy on March 27, 2010, 05:34 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_thumb

It’s a bit different then I thought it would be…. Oh well.
I’d like JK Rowling to make a Albus Potter series so that way our Potter love can continue.

Posted by LilMissLuna on March 27, 2010, 07:28 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

This sound like a cool place- I’d love to visit :)

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on March 27, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

Harry and Hermione will not be polyjuiced for the scenes at Godric’s Hollow. I think it very unlikely that they will be under the cloak for any of the scenes at Godric’s Hollow. We know that they are not under the cloak for the scene in the graveyard.

There is going to be snow and a church with people going in, so i assume it will still be Christmas eve in the film.

I am not getting where people are seeing that this house will be James and Lilly’s house. I know it says it in the description on leaky, but it doesn’t say that anywhere in the actual article if you click back on the link. I am not saying that this might not be the case. I just wonder what the source of this information is.

Posted by decarus on March 27, 2010, 07:58 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

(singsongy voice) Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i totally cant wait for part one!!!! but i think it is kind of a downer mentioning hte computer animations, and to add Seidenschnabel is right, they shouldnt be there, but in the minni trailer we have we see hermione wiping snow off the head stone….so they are gong to be there as harry and hermione….hope they dont change much more!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 27, 2010, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

@decarus, it is on the article:

“Jane Gosling, manager of the National Trust-run Lavenham Guildhall, spoke to the Free Press about the film crew’s visit in January.

She said: “It was all very exciting. What the film-makers are going to do is turn parts of Lavenham into Godric’s Hollow (a village featured in the book and film series) and the Guildhall will be Harry Potter’s parents’ house.”

Posted by Iceholic on March 27, 2010, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Dt_thumb

“Most of the cottage was still standing, though mostly covered in dark ivy and snow, but the right side of the top floor had been blown apart…”
HPatDH, Ch. 17

Posted by Informal on March 28, 2010, 01:34 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Hi everyone, the word is (from Leavesden) that the potter house is a homely cottage, my source thinks the Guildhall may be the building across the street from it. They had a large Godric’s Hollow set built at Pinewood which was filmed quite a while ago and they have rebuilt just a small part of it including the Potter’s house at Leavesden for further filming, I imagine that the technical Wizardry may be to do with digitally stitching the sets into the larger setting of the actual town.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 28, 2010, 04:56 AM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

This looks quite good, I thought that the cottage was meant to be quite small but I’m sure that it will turn out fine..or at least I hope, it’s such an iconic an important scene.

Posted by lurking_llama on March 28, 2010, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I see now where it says it in the article. I must have misread the article ten times.

I was wondering if it is possible that this house is the house that the muggles see and then when Harry and Hermione get close they see the cottage with part of itself blown away. I could deal with that.

I did like the house in PS/SS better, but this isn’t an end all. We don’t know enough.

Posted by decarus on March 28, 2010, 11:00 AM report to moderator

Professor Trelawney moved into the firelight, and they saw that she was very thin; her large glasses magnified her eyes to several times their natural size, and she was draped in a gauzy spangled shawl. Innumerable chains and beads hung around her spindly