David Heyman Promises Deathly Hallows will be "Even More Epic" in 3-D

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Melissa
March 29, 2010, 12:09 PM

MTV has posted a lengthy and informative interview with Potter films producer David Heyman today discussing the film to bring both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to 3-D. Heyman as usual is very frank about the decisions, the effect of films like Avatar and Up, and the economics of shooting the entire film with 3-D technology versus converting it in post-production. Highlights:

Clearly, the success of 3-D movies has had an impact on the economy and making of films. We saw an opportunity and grabbed it. Also, "Harry Potter" itself has so many exciting possibilities for 3-D, both in things coming at you and also just in making that world seem even more epic than it already is. "Harry Potter" is already an epic film, but having that added dimension will make it even more epic, and that seemed like an opportunity that was too hard to pass up.
One of the things I really loved about watching James Cameron's approach to 3-D in "Avatar" was that it wasn't about things coming out at you all the time. It was actually about adding great depth. You wouldn't want to overuse stuff coming at you. We haven't begun the process of converting it yet. We are doing some tests and looking at various things, but we aren't done with any sequence yet.
I think that there's no question that shooting a film in 3-D is a great thing. I think it was just impractical. It would have taken much, much too long. Shooting in 3-D is slower. Some people say shooting in 3-D is the only way to go, and some people are more open to the other. It'll be interesting as it develops to see whether shooting in 3-D becomes the norm or not, because clearly it's more expensive, partly because shooting takes longer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

Amanda_s_undesirable_thumb

I’m definitely planning on seeing this movie in both 2D and 3D. I absolutely can’t wait!!!! I did see Avatar as my first ever 3D movie and either I was already sick with a headache and it irritated it, or I got a headache from the 3D effects. So, I’m still on the fence about 3D in general. But, it won’t take away the HP experience for me.

Posted by dingy0413 on March 30, 2010, 06:32 PM report to moderator

Please…. ENOUGH WITH THE FRIGGING 3D!!!!!

Posted by Maven Cree on March 30, 2010, 11:29 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Yeah, I’m not on board the 3D train … but if it gets more people to watch DH 1&2, then I’m all for it (as long as I get my 2D).

Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

I agree with Muggle Cast on this one. Everyone is going to be saying things like “oh, best movie I’ve ever seen” and stuff like that, but when we watch it its going to be like “okay, that wasn’t in the books”

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 31, 2010, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Hula_thumb

I’ll probably watch it in 2D the first time..

Posted by DarthWeetzie on March 31, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator

Eh. I know the movie will be really good; It’s just that 3-D is almost always funky.

Posted by WhyAllTheGlitter™ on March 31, 2010, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Emma-w-emma-watson-8833950-100-100_thumb

As much I think that watching Deathly Hallows in 3D would be an amazing experience I don’t think I would want to wait longer so that they can make it in 3D…its a tough choice.

Posted by cOoLiO_bEans1494 on March 31, 2010, 09:18 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3-D and it was sooooooo amazingly cool I was super surprised at how different it was even when things weren’t flying out at you, I would deffinately see Harry Potter in 3-D if I had the chance to

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on April 01, 2010, 01:36 PM report to moderator

"Well, er, if you must know, Ginny, er, walked in on me the other day when I was -- well, never mind....[br]Harry had never seen Percy look so uncomfortable.[br]"What were you doing, Percy?" said Ron, grinning. "Go on, tell us, we won't laugh."[br]Percy d