Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

I agree. The artwork isn’t very good. However, it’s a sign that Harry Potter is truly becoming a classic!

Posted by All Was Well on March 31, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Wow, I’m not at all impressed by the artwork. It looks very . . . uninteresting. If I were in a book store looking for something to read (as an adult or child) I would never even pick this up. I think they would have done better to ask one of the original artists to redo all the covers, if they felt they really had to be redone. I liked some of the UK covers (have them on the audio book boxes with Stephen Fry). But I really prefer Mary Grand Pre anyway. And having one artist lends some consistency that the UK covers haven’t had. These new ones have the consistency of being by one artist, but they lack any of the magic of Harry Potter.

Posted by Eeyore on March 31, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator
African_servil_thumb

Umm… eew. That’s all I can say.

Posted by Mrs. Longbottom on March 31, 2010, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

ugh. what the hell is wrong with the original ones?? i dont like these new ones

Posted by MaggieNoise on March 31, 2010, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

I dont think they do much to draw new readers in. They have this faux, bland, wannabe Ed Hardy look to them that I do not like. Nothing about them pops!.

Posted by Max Power on March 31, 2010, 06:51 PM report to moderator

Not a fan. They aren’t magical enough to capture the story.

Posted by edw284 on March 31, 2010, 11:23 PM report to moderator

Hideous! Blah!

Posted by sindie11 on March 31, 2010, 11:31 PM report to moderator
Myleaky2_c_thumb

Well, I love them. Props to the artist.

Posted by Bandersnatch on April 01, 2010, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Image118_thumb

The covers seem really un-interesting to me..If I were in a book shop I probably wouldn’t look twice at them..most people are attracted to books because of their covers and the original covers are bright, colourful and interesting and made people look at them..but these are kind of dull and plain

Posted by Amy (Roar) =D *Baby Powder* =D on April 01, 2010, 05:52 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Someone else earlier was mentioning that you shouldn’t judge a book by the cover but in reality this does often happen (which I believe someone else did point out). An attractive or quirky cover, and especially (though not exclusively) in the case of books intended to appeal to children a bit of colour and/or an illustration that promises a bit of excitement can really draw the eye. I have seen books with minimalistic covers sit on a book stand for days and the same book in a different edition with a more colourful or eye catching cover will be taken off the stand by a customer pretty quickly, and I’m talking about adults as well as children here. When promoting books within the library this happens time and time again, and people aren’t even having to spend money on these.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 01, 2010, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Z_thumb

they don’t really express what we know for the next generation. not my cup of tea either— but they are a little catchy with the golden writing and white binding and all.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on April 01, 2010, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Get i get them in the US?

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 02, 2010, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Avatars-kix_thumb

maybe this is some late april fool’s joke

Posted by Nagini's dinner on April 02, 2010, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

I am glad to see that most of you do not like these covers either. When I first saw that there were going to be new covers, i was excited. However, that feeling quickly turned to indifference. I just don’t see how these new covers are going to appeal to a new generation of readers with their large amount of white space and unappealing design.

Posted by KC Nox on April 06, 2010, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

who ever did it…. take the advice of a girl whos parents met at art school: TOO MUCH WHITE, FILL IN THE BACKGROUND! very muggle-ish

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" inquired Professor Umbridge in a horribly honeyed voice.[br]"Hmm, let's think..." said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice. "Maybe [i]Lord Voldemort?[/i]"