Excerpt from Size Matters Not, Warwick Davis Autobiography

Davis
Posted by: Edward
April 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

As readers will recall, actor Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick & Griphook) has published his autobiography, Size Matters Not, which is on sale in the UK now.  Today, TLC has the first of a few special treats from the actor, who has furnished us with a selection from his autobiography.  Chronicling Mr. Davis' life and thirty year career, Size Matters Not, covers his many experiences working in film, including his time on the Harry Potter films.  The following excerpt details an experience working with fellow Harry Potter actors Alan Rickman (Snape), Maggie Smith (McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Dumbledore):
From Chapter Eighteen: Pottering About
       There was one memorable occasion when I got to have a long chat with the older and more established actors. It was during a long night shoot when we had to wait a long time between shots while the special-effects people arranged all their gizmos for a particularly explosive sequence.
      We were outside, and I was flattered to see that my chair had been put in a group with Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith (Minerva McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore).
      The four of us sat, in full costume, huddled around a tiny heater chatting through the night. Michael was a masterful storyteller and told some incredible tales with fantastic punch lines – most of which I can’t remember – and I’ve been sworn to secrecy for those that I do.
      It was sometimes hard for me to follow the conversation because they’d use first names. For example, Michael might ask, ‘Have you worked with Robert?’ and then you’d realise five minutes later that he was talking about de Niro.
      But there was one subject about which we both were experts.
      ‘What do you think of these beards, Warwick?’ Michael asked.
      ‘Well, they’re a bit of a pain, to be perfectly honest.’
      ‘Yes, they most certainly are, these wisps get absolutely everywhere. If I use my arms and wand it always gets entangled and I yank the thing right off my face. And don’t get me started on food. Dinner is a total nightmare.’
      I nodded in wholehearted agreement.
      A couple of days later, we were having lunch in full costume when Michael sat down at the table with a large canvas bag. He tied it around his neck and placed his beard inside and then was able to eat his tagliatelle without having to worry about consuming half of his beard at the same time.
      How did the lucky sod get one of those? I wondered, as I battled with forks, pasta and hair.
      Michael also loved a joke. After lunch one day, Michael’s make-up artist was removing his beard-bag before a shot. As she pulled it away she was amazed to see that Michael had woven a string of prawns, vegetables and other foody assortments into the beard.
      ‘What is it? What’s wrong?’ the famous actor said innocently.
      ‘Um . . . um,’ the flustered make-up artist replied, ‘your beard, er . . .’
      ‘Oh these! Well, that’s just in case I get a bit peckish, dear girl.’
©Warwick Davis – Aurum Press
Additionally, friends of Warwick and fans of Harry Potter can get Size Matters Not for the very special price of £10 (RRP £16.99) at waterstones.com.  Just enter promo code WD9371 at checkout.

Finally, Mr. Davis is also offering his twitter followers the chance to win a money-can't-buy Harry Potter prize; a framed set of seven extremely rare signed Harry Potter movie signature cards, each featuring a character he played in the Harry Potter movies. To enter, follow Warwick on Twitter, and retweet his tweet about the Waterstones.com offer.  This offering is only available to residents of the UK.

Stay close to TLC for even more coverage of Size Matters Not in the coming days.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis News

Platform_9_34_thumb

I don’t normally read autobiographies but I may have to pick this one up.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on April 25, 2010, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Wow, that is so funny! :D Gambon should be more like himself when playing Dumbledore!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on April 25, 2010, 04:43 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

warwick rocks

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on April 25, 2010, 09:11 AM report to moderator
Frangipani_flowers_thumb

You know, even if the beards were a pain, boy am I glad they put up with them because it really adds to the movies!

Posted by gingersnape on April 25, 2010, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Water_lilies_thumb

What a super cool guy. I am interested in reading that book.

Posted by sgreeter8888 on April 25, 2010, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

So if Michael Gambon has the capacity (and even the inclination) to act zany in real life, why oh why couldn’t he have brought that quality to his portrayal of Dumbledore? Why does he have to act like he’s playing King Lear all the time, grim and foreboding, when JKR’s concept of Dumbledore was that his prodigious power lies hidden beneath an eccentric, gentle, lighthearted exterior except when someone is in danger? I can’t stand Gambon’s interpretation and greatly regret that Peter O’Toole turned down the role when Richard Harris died. Imagine the character of Jack, the mad Earl of Gurney, played by O’Toole in “The Ruling Class,” as an elderly man and you’d get the perfect tone for Dumbledore.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 25, 2010, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Hornt_thumb

HAHA! Gambon is an awesome Dumledore off set <3

Posted by Mirror on April 25, 2010, 09:16 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I love Warwick!! He is probably one of my favorite actors (all the way back to Willow!!)

I am sad that only UK residents can get the book for a special price… Us here in the States would love to get it too:/

Posted by JessSnape on April 26, 2010, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I’d love to read this inside edition from his perspective.

Posted by Smitch on April 26, 2010, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

Loved this!! Can’t wait to read the whole book!!!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on April 26, 2010, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Wip_albus_and_minerva_by_maplethebully_thumb

Kudos to the short people! Gotta love warwick. And Michael Gambon makes me LMAO!

Posted by Scathach on April 26, 2010, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

This book sounds like a riot!

"Moronic though some of this class undoubtedly are, I expect you to scrape an 'acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my... displeasure."[br]His gaze lingered this time upon Neville, who gulped.