JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll.  After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.

Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter."  She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven."  She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.

JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow.  Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's  father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble.  This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.

Responses to additional questions include:

• Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
  • Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
  • Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
  • Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
  • Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
  • The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
  • Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms.  Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
  • Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter.   Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Video of the second segment of the reading can be seen via YouTube here.

Update: Images of J. K. Rowling from the White House Easter Egg Roll can be seen here care of Zimbio.  Our full gallery of images is now available here.

More is coming! Stay close to TLC!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

26006_1443063997054_1246721171_31285902_3129949_n_thumb

“rotating drummer”, LOL (:

Posted by guardgirlieX0X0 on April 06, 2010, 08:29 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Sweet i can’t waitttt to read a new book from her.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 06, 2010, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

This is great!

Posted by Jacket on April 06, 2010, 10:43 PM report to moderator
Presentation1_normal_thumb

I’m really excited for whatever she is writing.
Its just good to know that she is writing again and I will definitely read whatever it is about. I know it would be awesome (though not like HP).
And I do hope also that she’ll be writing another HP book. Really hope so.
Can’t wait for her next book.
She’s awesome. =)
We love you J.K. =)

Posted by chRiStiNe [(ROAR)] on April 07, 2010, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_1_thumb

Wow!Another book frm JKR.That’s great!
But I hope she wud continue with hp.

Posted by HP_crazy on April 07, 2010, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Debon1_thumb

I will definetely buy her next book! No question about it…although, I wish she would write more about Harry Potter. Like what happened before Harry was born when Lily, James and the Mauraders were attending Hogwarts and stuff :)

Posted by Rebeka Potter <3 on April 07, 2010, 04:51 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

yay a new JK Rowling book :)

Posted by IloveDobby on April 07, 2010, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

9 more articles on our wonderful Jo will make it leakys 1000 posted on her!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 07, 2010, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

Anything she writes I will read! I am terrified for her though. How can any new book or series she writes ever live up to the expectations?

Posted by akcorr on April 07, 2010, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

woooooooooow i am soo getting her book the 1st day it comes out

Posted by alicia00 on April 08, 2010, 08:59 AM report to moderator
Emma-w-emma-watson-8833950-100-100_thumb

I think JK Rowling is an amazing writer. Her talent is not only limited to Harry Potter so that means that any book she writes will be a great read as I love her writing style. I really look forward to all her future projects

Posted by cOoLiO_bEans1494 on April 08, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Emma-w-emma-watson-8833950-100-100_thumb

Posted by cOoLiO_bEans1494 on April 08, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Love all of the “extra” HP info and I will be happy to read anything she writes :-)

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on April 08, 2010, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Hornt_thumb

:O It’d be soo cool if she wrote another hp book! I dont know whether another non-hp book would be so great…I’m too attached to harry :P But she’s an awesome writer so she could probably make anything good :)

Posted by Mirror on April 09, 2010, 06:07 AM report to moderator
Argus-filch_thumb

:D
can’t wait for the new book
and i hope she does return to Harry Potter, but writes them for a different characters point of view

Posted by Mandi on April 09, 2010, 08:43 AM report to moderator

"I thought we weren't starting crystal balls until next term," Ron muttered...[br]"Don't complain, this means we've finished palmistry," Harry muttered back. "I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands."