JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll.  After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.

Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter."  She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven."  She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.

JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow.  Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's  father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble.  This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.

Responses to additional questions include:

• Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
  • Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
  • Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
  • Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
  • Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
  • The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
  • Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms.  Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
  • Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter.   Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Video of the second segment of the reading can be seen via YouTube here.

Update: Images of J. K. Rowling from the White House Easter Egg Roll can be seen here care of Zimbio.  Our full gallery of images is now available here.

More is coming! Stay close to TLC!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Harry-potter-4_thumb

I still wanting her to write an eight book for the series! :P
A love this interview and, even if not an Harry book, I’m sure I’ll love anything she writes…

Posted by Hmrc5 on April 09, 2010, 09:12 AM report to moderator

I think Jo should write a book about everything she cut out of the harry potter books

Posted by lizzyrc on April 09, 2010, 11:15 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

I’m surprised that she considers Snape one of her favorite characters considering she has him die in a place where he nearly died at the hands of Lupin when he was a child.

Posted by Bara on April 10, 2010, 04:38 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

omg awesome can’t wait

Posted by Rowling Stones on April 10, 2010, 08:09 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

So exciting!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on April 11, 2010, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

So exciting!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on April 11, 2010, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Yay a new book from Jo! I can’t wait to see what it is. I can’t believe Severus is her favorite character. That’s so cool :) Although it would be nice to see another HP book, I think it’s best to leave it as is… Still excited about new book though :D

Posted by da_member0808 on April 11, 2010, 09:56 PM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

That’s good but a hp book could make us far happy…plz jkr!

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on April 14, 2010, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I would love another JKR book. And if it is not linked with HP then so be it, even though I would love it to be! However, what I really want to know is when is the Scottish Book coming out???? PLEASE TELL US!!! :D <3 xx

He_was

A NEW BOOK???!!! YES! calms down slowly I wonder what it’ll be about… Another series? If so, I’ll never get used to seeing her name on a book that ISN’T titled ‘Harry Potter and the….’ I think she mentioned the opening thing on her website… I’d ask to read it but, frankly I don’t really care… Still though, WOOT!

Posted by RupertFanatic101 on July 18, 2010, 10:34 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Marauder's Map: [i]"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."[/i]