LEGO Harry Potter Q&A: Hogwarts Is "A Massive Explorable Environment"

Video Games
Posted by: Rosi
April 07, 2010, 01:46 PM

PlayStation Blog has a brand new interview with Traveller's Tales' Jonathan Smith, the Head of Production at the independent games developer behind the LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4 video game. Smith stressed how magic can be used to "create a new kind of LEGO gameplay, with characters that learn new spells over a long period of time...always progressing." Continuing in the vein of game progression, Smith also spoke about unlocking different parts of Hogwarts with each new spell:

[Y]ou’ll find more and more of Hogwarts accessible to you as a player, switching between different characters, until it becomes a really huge, immersive, explorable, open environment — to which you’ll return between story events to discover more secrets and learn more things.
The interview also covered the reasons behind the choice to focus on the first four books for "a really substantial adventure," Traveller's Tales' creative freedom on the project and the support for LEGO's unique take on Harry Potter. Smith declared that it is "a big game compared to other LEGO games," additionally commenting that the PSP game has a greater focus on adventure and questing than the PlayStation 3 game, which has a greater focus on action.

You can read the full interview at this link. As we told you last week, the LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4 game will now be released in June 2010.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Video Games News

Kc_lucius1_thumb

I’m really not that into video games, but this game sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun. I just might have to get it!

Posted by KC Nox on April 07, 2010, 01:48 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

not a huge fan of lego games, but obviously gonna be getting this !!!

Posted by MaggieNoise on April 07, 2010, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I cannot wait to get this game. I love adventure games like this;)

Posted by JessSnape on April 07, 2010, 01:53 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

so fun! totally getting the game when it comes out

Capture10_thumb

cool. aready sounds better than the EA games! :)

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on April 07, 2010, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

so stoked

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on April 07, 2010, 04:23 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

I’ve never been a huge fan of video games, but this sounds awesome :) Deffinelty getting it when it comes out :)

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on April 07, 2010, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Image

sweet!! i already pre ordered it

Posted by magicmaniac on April 07, 2010, 07:16 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That sounds great! I can’t wait till it actually comes out!

_r9kau7w_thumb

wow. just, wow. i soo cant wait! :D

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on April 07, 2010, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I cannot wait to experience the immersive environment that they have created for this game.

Posted by Kirk on April 07, 2010, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

So awesome!! i’ll play this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Right I really need to pick up OOTP for the wii again. Only game I ever finished was COS and I loved it. Right I’m gonna play OOTP buy HBP then get through these Lego ones- which do look really good fun. I found since exploring Hogwarts in COS, parts of the books seemed more visual to me. The entrance hall in that game will always exist as my perfect representation

Posted by KiwiMcI on April 07, 2010, 09:27 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Can’t wait! We already love the Star Wars one!

Posted by Rin68nyr on April 07, 2010, 10:01 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb_thumb

SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! ROAR

Posted by Roseann on April 07, 2010, 10:48 PM report to moderator

"You know, I don't think purple's really my color," she said pensively, tugging at a lock of spiky hair. "D'you think it makes me look a bit peaky?"