Digital Versions of the Harry Potter Books in the Future?

Books
Posted by: Edward
May 28, 2010, 04:36 PM

The Bookseller is now reporting that the Christopher Little Agency, the literarily agency representing author J. K. Rowling, may be coming closer to enteraining the idea of digital formats for the Harry Potter novels.  The article quotes partner Neil Blair as saying the company is now “currently considering all the options and opportunities that this evolving space provides."  The Bookseller continues:

The agency was "actively" looking, whereas previously it had just been "monitoring the developing area", he said.  Richard Charkin, executive director of Rowling’s print publisher Bloomsbury, declined to comment on whether Bloomsbury was in discussions with the author on e-book plans, saying: "That’s between us and CLA."
While this news is certainly intriguing, no plans are currently set for digital formats or the Harry Potter novels.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Saskia, if you were speaking to me, I am sorry you think I was being rude. Perhaps I should have stated it like bella just did. Simply put, if you enjoy reading physical books, go right ahead. I do too. However, I and many others enjoy our e-readers as well. Why does anyone else care how we read?

Personally, I have all of the physical books and the audiobooks. If JK Rowling’s publishers make them available in e-format, I will buy those too.

Bella, good for your grandfather! That is excellent. I think it is wonderful that e-books have made reading much more accessible for many people. Both able bodied and handicapped.

Posted by jacobmarley on May 30, 2010, 05:12 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

As J.K. Rowling has expressed in the past a disinclination to allow her books to be published in an electronic manner, I do hope that they are allowing for and seeking her input in contemplating this distribution model. Although I do admire e-books for their convenience and mobility, the hegemony of DRM that currently dominates in the marketplace of digital literature stands as a very good reason to avoid the field for now as far as I am concerned.

Posted by Kirk on May 30, 2010, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I know Jo wants the books to stay print only, but there are audio versions available, there are film versions available (which actually change the books she has written), why shouldn’t there be legal digital versions available. I travel a great deal, and I can carry my Kindle with me, but not stacks of my favorite books. Maybe with the iPad, and Apple’s gorgeous iBooks app, Jo will see that her books could be just as beautiful in digital format as in classic print format, and agree to this. I can hope!

Posted by Agrippa1 on May 30, 2010, 11:42 AM report to moderator

Well, okay. I’ll modify it a little; I suppose in my perfect world people with MS and like disorders would use Kindles and the rest of us wouldn’t, but honestly, it terrifies me every time I walk into a Barnes & Noble’s and see that Nook display. They’re attracting so many people so fast, and just the thought of a world without books…

Posted by Libby on May 30, 2010, 01:47 PM report to moderator
Picasion
1919 Points

I’ve actually seen .pdf’s of the books online before i thought that meant they were already out…

Posted by JackMeggers on May 30, 2010, 02:28 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

There’s not going to be a world without books. Ebooks are only part of the book market, not the whole thing. Paper books aren’t going to disappear any time soon.

Posted by vespasian68967 on May 30, 2010, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

im happy for audio books to be in my collection but ebook is the way of the ‘future’ even though they have been out for some time

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on May 30, 2010, 09:08 PM report to moderator

I wish that the books would stay on paper. They are just not as magical in a digital format.

Posted by dobbylvr on May 31, 2010, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

I have all seven in hardback, paperback and audio; but I’d LOVE to have them all on my Kindle!

Posted by Fereverto on May 31, 2010, 03:36 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

This makes me nervous, only because I know that some people out there would download the books illegally. But if this digital book format catches on, looks like there is no stopping it!

Posted by Rosie016 on June 01, 2010, 09:11 AM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

As I keep pointing out the books are already being downloaded illegally. They were scanned & being put into pdf files almost before the ink was even dry on the pages.

However, despite what the industry mavens tend to tell everyone about piracy, there are many more people who are willing to pay for good ebook versions as opposed to pirating them.

Posted by vespasian68967 on June 01, 2010, 11:49 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I would love for the books to be digital. Although I have all the books, I’d “buy” them again in digital format.

Jo’s feelings aside, her timing was perfect. Her success came before the ebook revolution. It’s the future.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on June 01, 2010, 11:49 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Also…
If the book is in digital format, I could buy the UK versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on June 02, 2010, 12:20 AM report to moderator
Cimg0309_thumb

I would love to have HP on my Kindle! I know some people are opposed to e-readers, but its not like the two formats can’t coexist.

Posted by Sash1113 on June 10, 2010, 02:32 PM report to moderator

Four fully grown, enormous, vicious-looking dragons were rearing onto their hind legs inside an enclosure fenced with thick planks of wood, roaring and snorting -- torrents of fire were shooting into the dark sky from their open, fanged mouths, fifty feet