Rumor: David Yates Considered to Direct "The Hobbit"

Yates
Posted by: Edward
June 14, 2010, 05:00 PM

Rumors have been cropping up on the internet in the past few weeks regarding Harry Potter director David Yates possibly being in the running to take over the production of the film, "The Hobbit."  As movie buffs will know, director Guillermo Del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth") stepped away from the the director's chair of "The Hobbit" recently, which has caused much speculation as to who would be his replacement.  Today, SlashFilm.com is reporting the rumor that Harry Potter director David Yates is the frontrunner  to direct the film.  This information is also being reported by CinemaBlend.com, which notes "that "industry insider tracking boards" have it that Yates is the studio's top choice to take over. It's worth noting that the studio in this case is MGM, which is famously mired in financial troubles and may not even be able to fund the film any time soon. It's also worth noting that Yates just wrapped production on the final Harry Potter film and will be spending the next few months locked in an edit room."

While this is indeed an exciting report, it is still very much a rumor, and will stay listed as such until official word comes from the studio or Mr. Yates' camp.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates News

Ginevra_thumb

I feel like Peter Jackson is the only one who could give The Hobbit justice. We’ve all seen how putting a different director in charge of films within a series turns out.

Posted by It's Ginevra on June 15, 2010, 12:02 AM report to moderator

Peter Jackson was never going to direct the hobbit. he is producing and writing but he didnt want to direct. its not like he is getting replaced.

Posted by kmsny923 on June 15, 2010, 01:43 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I’m sorry but I’m so disappointed in how he directed the HP films that he would not be my choice of a director for a film like Hobbit. I’m reading the book now and I feel the nature of the film is not a film tht I’d want to look at in such darkness. Perhaps he may want to look a directing horror films. Perhaps people who enjoy those type of movies could appreciate the darkness exhibited throughout the HP films.

Posted by molly43 on June 15, 2010, 03:22 AM report to moderator

Peter Jackson was never going to direct the Hobbit; even now, after Guillermo Del Toro stepped out, it still looks highly unlikely that he will reclaim the director’s chair, so to everyone acting like he’s stealing the part from Peter Jackson, that is simply not the case. And let’s not forget that Peter Jackson is acting as an executive producer, the same position George Lucas had on “Empire Strikes Back”, so it’s still very much Jackson’s movie.
There is no way Yates can “ruin” anything at this point; the script is being written by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens (the 3 people responsible for LotR), as well as Guillermo del Toro; most of the pre-production process is almost complete, with Guillermo’s influence still there even after his departure; Peter Jackson is acting as a mentor and advisor, and I’m sure they wouldn’t hire a new director without his approval, and if he approves, I won’t worry.
I, for one, think it’d be interesting to see how Yates handles it; my first choice after Del Toro’s departure is Alfonso Cuaron, whose creativity and vision I think rivals that of Del Toro, but it is nice to see another HP director being considered, and I am happy for him.

Posted by lgghanem on June 15, 2010, 04:52 AM report to moderator

I think Yates made a great film with Half-Blood Prince, second only to Azkaban in the list of the best Potter films. As such I think Yates would do a good job with the Hobbit, but an even better choice would be Alfonso Cuaron!

Posted by hereward on June 15, 2010, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I think Peter Jackson did such a beautiful job. I’m just curious as to why he wasn’t in the running? Could it be that he hung up his hobbit hat and cloak, and is not really interested?

I’m not sure about David Yates directing The Hobbit. I think he is doing a wonderful job of the HP series. I know the crew cuts a lot of scenes, but they can’t make the movie five hours long for God’s sake – no one besides an avid (and slightly obsessive) fan – like ourseleves – would ever want to watch it!

Although the two series share elements of lore and fantasy, I feel that The Hobbit is an entirely different thing. So raw and detailed. I love it! I hope someone makes a worthwhile film for all of us to enjoy. What about the cast to this one? Would it be the same?

Posted by Smitch on June 15, 2010, 08:06 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

As much as I love David Yates, no one can compete with Peter Jackson. Just watch the Lord of the Rings. They are amazing and epic! Pleeeeeease let him direct it :)

15657683_thumb

No way. The one and only director who can take upon himself this task is Peter Jackson. Period.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on June 15, 2010, 09:50 AM report to moderator
Ikawalo_thumb

that’s good the hobbit is one of my fave, books too…

Posted by tjerriam on June 15, 2010, 11:06 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Not this again, do any of you actually know the role of David Yates as director? That man took 2 mediocre scripts and made them sing. I’m fed up trying to put these kind of Yates-baiting morons through film school!

In saying that, I think it’d be a risky choice, I say hold off production til Jackson’s ready. Just do it already Jackson

Posted by KiwiMcI on June 15, 2010, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

That would be cool.

Posted by Finny on June 15, 2010, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

Remember, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philipia Boyens have all co-written THe Hobbit screenplay along with Del Toro. They will ALL be involved with the production sans DelToro. Jackson has said he will direct if it comes to that,in order to keep it in New Zealand, but he would rather produce The Hobbit along with the bridge film that connects it to LOTR.

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on June 15, 2010, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Gryffcutie_thumb

Sorry, but I think they should leave The Hobbit to Peter Jackson. The LoTR films belong to him. That’s just my personal opinion.

Posted by Gryffindor Cutie on June 15, 2010, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

Whoops, Igghanem beat me to the punch with the details. Sorry !
But he is correct and I stand with him. IF Jackson, et.al. are ok with Yates, then that is good enough for me.

Personally, I feel Yates brought a richness to the last two films that the prior three were lacking. It all depends on how much passion he has for the story of The Hobbit….

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on June 15, 2010, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Considering the wonderful job he did with the two films that have been released so far, I am positive that, if he does indeed become the director, he would more than fill the shoes that Jackson vacated in relinquishing e role of director.

Posted by Kirk on June 15, 2010, 02:06 PM report to moderator

It was a Firebolt... Its handle glittered as he picked it up. He could feel it vibrating and let go; it hung in midair, unsupported, at exactly the right height for him to mount it. His eyes moved from the golden registration number at the top of the hand