Update: David Yates Denies Being Offered "The Hobbit"

Yates
Posted by: Mel
June 16, 2010, 07:22 PM

As you may remember, two days ago we told you about a rumor that Harry Potter director David Yates was being considered to take over the director's chair for "The Hobbit." Mr. Yates's representatives have since responded to these claims, saying that they are "not true at all."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates News

1980 Points

thank god!

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on June 16, 2010, 09:09 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

oh! first comment again! :)

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on June 16, 2010, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

“thank god!” hahaha – that’s genuine relief! I’m really not sure. I don’t know enough about each director, or the film industry to make a judgement on that. Well, I suppose I’m an avid reader and film-goer…why do I not have a super strong opinion on Yates? I should watch more of his stuff. Any suggestions?

Posted by Smitch on June 16, 2010, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Posted by Smitch on June 16, 2010, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Hp_the_blue_eye_2_500by500_thumb

Thank God is right! He’d have Bilbo hitting on random waitresses at The Prancing Pony, and Death Eaters burning down Bag End….bad stuff, people; Bad Random Added Stuff That Shouldn’t Be There. No Yates!

Posted by AmishPatronus66 on June 16, 2010, 09:49 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Wonder who is going to direct it then?

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on June 16, 2010, 10:53 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Bad luck David :(

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on June 17, 2010, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

This is the best news I’ve heard all month. Mr. Yates is very good at TV movies but I think he’s proven quite well that he cannot do feature and/or fantasy films. That’s nothing to be ashamed of. What he does well, he does very well. But we all would have been much better off if they’d hired a director who’d actually made a feature film before his first turn at Harry. I simply don’t think he should have gotten his feet wet, with regard to both feature films and fantasy, on this franchise. His lack of experience is still blatantly obvious and it’s not fair to us.

Posted by DeliaDee on June 17, 2010, 10:44 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Not to sound mean but ‘Phew!’! I’m sorry but it’s really hard to do a film like that after Peter Jackson totally aced it (< I can’t believe I just said something like that :P)! David Yates is a good director… just not as good as others :)

@AmishPatronus66, loving the comment about Bilbo hitting on waitresses ;)

Hpdh_thumb

peter jackson it is

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on June 17, 2010, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Gryffcutie_thumb

Well good because honestly I believe that The Hobbit should stay with Peter Jackson. The LoTR films belong to him.

Posted by Gryffindor Cutie on June 17, 2010, 01:59 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

HALLELUJAH!

I think Yates has proven that directing fantasy films is not his strong point.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on June 17, 2010, 06:59 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

THANK GOD!!!!! OMG!! I also read the Peter Jackson stated that he “may be ready to step up” form his producers chair.EEEEEEEEEEEP!!!♥

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on June 18, 2010, 08:10 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Thats fine! I don’t even know what the Hobbit is!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 18, 2010, 08:29 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Thanks be to Providence for small miracles!

Posted by Won_Two on June 18, 2010, 03:15 PM report to moderator

"Ow kunnit nofe skusin danger ifzat?" said Ron.[br]His mouth was so full Harry thought it was quite an achievement for him to make any noise at all.[br]"I beg your pardon?" said Nearly Headless Nick politely, while Hermione looked revolted.