Confirmed: Dan Radcliffe to Star as Arthur Kipps in "The Woman in Black" (Updated)

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
July 19, 2010, 01:05 PM

Update: A number of casting rumours had surfaced over the weekend that Dan Radcliffe would be starring in a 2011 film adaptation of The Woman in Black. We can now report that this rumour is actually true, thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com who obtained confirmation from an official press release at HeyUGuys.co.uk. Producer Simon Oakes is quoted saying he can think of "no better actor to play the role of Arthur Kipps" than Daniel Radcliffe. Director James Watkins also spoke about the Harry Potter actor:

“’When I met Dan, it was quite uncanny how closely our thoughts on the story mirrored each other: I can’t wait to get down to work with him to fashion a compelling character and a classy ghost story that tugs at the heart and chills to the bone,” says James Watkins.

Radcliffe himself described Jane Goldman's script as "beautifully written - both tender and terrifying in equal measure" and said that he was "incredibly excited" to be a part of the film. According to the press release, production on "The Woman in Black" is due to begin this autumn. The film is produced by Simon Oakes for Exclusive Media Group's Hammer Films label and Richard Jackson at Talisman Films.

Arthur Kipps is a young lawyer who glimpses a woman dressed entirely in black as he works in the isolated home of a recently deceased client. A stage play adaptation of the thriller has been running in London's West End since 1989.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

1small_thumb

I don’t know how i feel about this.
not the fact its Dan necessarily, but that its being made into a movie.
i’ve seen the play, and its fantastic
but its fantastic mostly because of the atmosphere they create with the mist, lights and where the actors are / come from.
and the fact that a lot of it is meant to be set in a theater,
when the character the characters are playing are frightened, they often come out of that character and are back in the theater again, also frightened.
which makes you feel almost like they aren’t characters at all and makes it much more frightening.
i just don’t think this will translate very well to screen in comparison.
and to the person who asked if his role is a major role, in the play there are only 3 actors in total, so yes.

Posted by Nomey. on July 21, 2010, 08:42 AM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I’m glad this is true. I look forward to seeing him in it.

Posted by Figment on July 21, 2010, 09:14 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

so excited for all his new projects! i’m so glad he has worked hard throughout his career to not stay the pigeon-holed-boy-who-lived forever!

D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

@silverydoe Dan is an extraordinary actor. I saw him in Equus, a complete polar opposite to HP and didn’t even think twice that “Harry” was standing a few feet away from me. If he is as good an actor as I know he is, you won’t even realize it’s him or should I say “Harry” when your watching him. Open your mind to the opportunity to see him act so much! He is incredible and won’t disappoint!

Dan purrses something diffrent….again!!! Go DANNY!!!!! Be in that film.

Posted by hp931 on July 21, 2010, 03:06 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I’m quite surprised, right, must get round to reading the novel then, put it on the book nook

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 21, 2010, 04:13 PM report to moderator

I’m so glad to SEE this is true….not just because I think this will be a
teriffic part for Dan ….. I LOVE a really GOOD Ghost story and this
looks to be one.

Oh!! and as for it being hard to see Dan in other parts as other characters
I see him as Harry when he puts on those glasses ….he takes on
the persona of THAT character for me….when i’ve seen him in
other parts Harry isn’t there….he will do wonderfully!!!!

And am SOOOOOO glad to hear he is making a film before he starts that long Broadway run of HOW2$ from February 2011 to November 2011.

Posted by Jeannine on July 21, 2010, 08:23 PM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

@Silvery Doe

I totally know what you mean!

Posted by Finny on July 21, 2010, 09:22 PM report to moderator

I think Dan will be excellent in the part, however I too am worried about the translation of this fantastic play from stage to screen. Some years ago a tv movie of it was made here in the Uk and it was a very poor comparison to the play sadly. I hope the new version will be better. Can’t wait to see if it will be.

Posted by tgfoy (ROAR) on July 22, 2010, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Stock-16_thumb

@Nomey.

Like tgfoy (ROAR) said, it was already a movie, albeit a TV one. And this is an adaptation. It’s not going to be exactly the same as the play or the book.

Posted by ayashe on July 23, 2010, 01:31 AM report to moderator
Aa_thumb

DAN…you great!!!
keep the faith!!!

Posted by lovely harol ricco on July 23, 2010, 03:30 AM report to moderator
Frank_thumb

I went to see the play the other day in the West End in London, loved it, so looking forward to seeing Daniel in the film!

Posted by starguitar on July 27, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I sure hope that this gets across the Atlantic Ocean! It sounds like an interesting story, and Dan will be excellent as Arthur Kipps.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on September 08, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"There are other ways of flying than with broomsticks," said Luna serenely.[br]"I s'pose we're going to ride on the back of the Kacky Snorgle or whatever it is?" Ron demanded.[br]"The Crumple-Horned Snorkack can't fly," said Luna in a dignified voice...