Actors in the News Weekly Roundup

HP Cast
Posted by: Rosi
July 05, 2010, 05:19 AM

As we move away from reports of cast wrapping "Deathly Hallows" filming, a few stories have popped up about new projects and appearances for the Harry Potter actors. Firstly, the BBC reports that Emma Thompson (Professor Trelawney) and Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) are to star in a television adaptation of Christopher Reid's poem The Song of Lunch for BBC Two. Rickman is to play a "disillusioned editor who has lunch with his former mistress at the Soho restaurant where they used to meet." The adaptation will air on National Poetry Day, the 7th of October.

Rupert Grint  (Ron Weasley) is to appear on the third episode of Series 15 of the popular television programme, "Top Gear." The actor will be one of the two Stars in a Reasonably Priced Car to take to the test track on the 11th of July and try to beat the records set by previous celebrities on the show. The programme is due to air on BBC Two Scotland at 7pm and at 8pm in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. A high definition version will be shown at 10pm on BBC HD.

On a related note, acclaimed film director Martin Scorsese recently spoke to The Sun about the promise in Rupert Grint's acting. Scorsese told the British tabloid:

I thought [Grint] was a great actor in the Harry Potter movies. In a lot of scenes, the boy stole the show. He will always have respect for the movies that gave him such a huge break, but at his age it's important he doesn't become typecast.
He has to do something really out of his comfort zone in the next few years - play a gangster, play a dirty cop, play a kid with learning difficulties.

I would be interested in working with him. I would have no issues in casting him as a gangster, he is a very talented young man.
Scorsese went on to comment that Grint could become one of the greatest actors of all time. Read more on The Sun website at this link.

The Guardian's Film Weekly spoke to Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) about his role in "Skeletons," which won the  Michael Powell award at the Edinburgh film festival this year. Isaacs spoke to Film Weekly from the Harry Potter set and talked briefly about the packing up stages of the Harry Potter films. "[The Harry Potter films] have given me the middle name I never had. I always wanted a middle name and I'm now Jason brackets Lucius Malfoy Isaacs, and will be to the day I die! But it's a label I wear quite proudly," said the actor fondly. Isaacs talks about how he was drawn to the supporting role in "Skeletons" and how the short film was expanded into a full length feature film. You can listen to the interview here on The Guardian website. "Skeletons" has been released in the UK as of the 2nd of July and you can find out where you can watch it on the New British Cinema Quarterly website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

The-moose_thumb

It’s so cool that there’s something new coming along starring Alan Rickman. And, with Emma Thompson, too. It’s great seeing them in things together. And, how awesome that Martin Scorsese talks so highly about Rupert. He is a great actor but, to hear someone like Scorsese say that Rupert steals the show is way cool.

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 05, 2010, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Ha, it’ll be interesting to watch that episode of Top Gear.

Posted by nellythemarrow on July 05, 2010, 12:06 PM report to moderator

good for Rupert, i have been wondering how long it would be before Top Gear and the Stig came calling. I expect the call will go to Tom as well! As for Mr S, well, he’s not working at the moment, put your money where your mouth is and employ him, push him and see how far he can go. I love it when the Potter Kids get praised, but i often wonder how many will give them the chance to break free from Harry. What they all need is that chance.

Posted by jain on July 05, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
26097981_thumb

GO RUPERT! So good to hear someone like Scorsese praise him like that, he gets overlooked far too often. I hope Rupert takes his advice and does something completely different, I’m sure he’ll be able to pull it off.

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on July 05, 2010, 12:48 PM report to moderator

I’ve ALWAYS wanted Rupert on Top Gear! So when I first heard about this last week, I was SO excited!!! I remember when Michael Gambon was on.

Posted by AJWC1 on July 05, 2010, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Wooo go Rupert!

Posted by IloveDobby on July 05, 2010, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Martin Scorsese has just gone down in my estimation.

Posted by Graymayne on July 05, 2010, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Wow – cool compliment for Rupert. Well deserved!
Jason, you crack me up!
And the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson thing sounds divine!

Great round up, as usual! :o)

Rosi, thank you for doing all the leg work on this wonderful segment!!! The news about Rupert is just great and Martin is right he will be an even greater actor in the future. Jason Issacs middle name should be Sexy but I guess that Lucius Malfoy is ok too. Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson are both worth watching in anything, anytime, any place and any where!

Posted by hewy on July 05, 2010, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Wow Rupert in Top Gear. Cant wait to see him riding a car. Thanks for the info

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 05, 2010, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That sounds great. I look forward to seeing Rupert in the future in the different roles! But Jason Issacs is hilarious, “I will be till the day I die!”

I’d love to see Rupert portray a gangster, that would be great.

Posted by Stellar Sound on July 05, 2010, 11:10 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

great roundup

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 06, 2010, 12:08 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Great roundup! Alan and Emma acting together again should be fantastic! It’s also nice to hear about Scorsese praising Rupert cause he deserves it. Also love Jason! He loves Lucius’ character so much… he is awesome!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 06, 2010, 01:22 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Wow bravo Rupert! Martin Scorsese wouldnt say that about just anyone. I’d love to see him as a gangster in a Scorsese film that’d be awesome!

Posted by LunaLuver on July 06, 2010, 02:52 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

...the angel on top of the tree was actually a garden gnome that had bitten Fred on the ankle... Stupefied, painted gold, stuffed into a miniature tutu and with small wings glued to its back, it glowered down at them all, the ugliest angel Harry had ever