HPA For the Win - Take Five Minutes to Help the HP Alliance Change the World

Charity
Posted by: Melissa
July 06, 2010, 12:27 AM

Our friends at the Harry Potter Alliance are currently closing in on the lead for the Chase Community Giving Challenge, an effort which allows people from around the world to help allocate $5 million to hundreds of thousands of charities around the country. The HPA is in the running for the $250,000 prize, which will be awarded to the charity which receives the most votes right here.

With those funds, the HPA websites notes that the charity will be able to, "improve Literacy, LGBT Rights, AND build an Online Coalition of Fandoms, Youtube Communities, and Organizations. No one has ever before brought communities like these together and the one time we have, we raised over $123,000 for Haiti. Human rights and fighting global warming continue to lack the kind of energy and enthusiasm that we will bring to the table. Ready to see a game changer in the world of social activism? If we win the $250,000 prepare to see a massive shift!"

Voting, which takes no more than thirty seconds, is open now and runs through July 12th. Vote here!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Charity News

Facebook_thumb

This is amazing. I’m an English teacher and I spend a great deal of time trying to teach my students that literature isn’t just something we read for fun, it’s something that can help and inspire us to change the world. This is the perfect example of that. I’ve never been more proud to be part of the Harry Potter fandom.

Posted by JuliaPwns on July 06, 2010, 12:39 AM report to moderator
Potter_thumb

Is it only through Facebook? I hate Facebook. I refuse to sign up. Surely there’s another way to vote for them?

Posted by gaminette [GTFO!] on July 06, 2010, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Photo_1049_thumb

I’ve always marveled at what the HPA has been able to do with just the donations from HP fans. Imagine what they could do with $250K! As I write this comment, we’re in the lead by about 600 votes but we need a MUCH bigger margin. I hope everyone who reads this will vote, vote, vote and get as many others to do so as you can! HPA FTW!

Posted by eruanna317 on July 06, 2010, 04:35 AM report to moderator
Http_3a_2f_2f24

wooooooooow that’s cooooooooooooooooll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Emmaria on July 06, 2010, 05:29 AM report to moderator
Autumn2_thumb

Please vote everyone, it really does take 30 seconds!

Posted by palantiriel on July 06, 2010, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Avatar_moose_thumb

Its Soooooooo easy! If you have facebook it just takes 2 or 3 clicks to vote, thats all.
Think of the difference you could make!!!

Posted by pinkmoosely on July 06, 2010, 05:54 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Thats really great!! And that too in just simple steps

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 06, 2010, 07:58 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Voted, love the letter J.K. Rowling wrote to the HPA “awesome (and I mean that in the true sense of the word not the kind that can be applied to lip gloss or pizza)”

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 06, 2010, 08:13 AM report to moderator

“Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I’ve shared with everyone.”

I’d love to vote, but I am NOT going to share my personal information and my friends info with the world.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on July 06, 2010, 09:03 AM report to moderator
170747_530882362413_208201703_31522693_980344_o_thumb

Done and done! And thanks to all our votes, they’re in the top spot! Well at least as of 9am…

Posted by AldenF on July 06, 2010, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Annika_thumb

Grrr, why can you only vote through Facebook?!?

Posted by RavenclawDeatheater on July 06, 2010, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I hope that the HPA wins!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 06, 2010, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I signed up for facebook in order to vote and basically did not add any of the additional info at all, but I was dismayed to find that my email was displayed clearly on the profile page. Any way a couple of days ago I asked facebook to delete my profile which should hopefully be happening in about 12 days. I really did want to vote, so I hope I don’t have any problems getting my profile deleted, according to the FAQs I’ve followed the correct procedure.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 06, 2010, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

Same here. I would love to vote for HPA, but I’m not joining Facebook to do it. Isn’t there some other way to vote??

Posted by izziewitch on July 06, 2010, 10:57 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

Well I am trying to vote but can’t figure out how, I am on Facebook, wish me luck………..

Posted by Rosie016 on July 06, 2010, 11:07 AM report to moderator

"By the way, my dear," she shot suddenly at Parvati Patil, "beware a red-haired man."[br]Parvati gave a startled look at Ron, who was right behind her, and edged her chair away from him.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014