Durham University to Offer Harry Potter Course Next Year

Education
Posted by: Mel
August 18, 2010, 08:41 PM

BBC News is reporting that Durham University will be offering a course based around Harry Potter, entitled "Harry Potter and the Age of Illusion," starting next year:

The Durham University module uses the works of JK Rowling to examine prejudice, citizenship and bullying in modern society.
...
A university spokesman said: "This module places the Harry Potter novels in their wider social and cultural context.
"A number of themes will be explored, including the world of rituals, prejudice and intolerance in the classroom, bullying, friendship and solidarity and the ideals of and good citizenship."

You can read more here. Thanks to rotfang07 and MuggleQueen for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Hogwarts-on-fire-harry-potter-13911978-1900-1200_thumb

Awesome! I took a class on Harry Potter my first semester at university, it was the best class I’ve taken so far!

Posted by clayzy4hp on August 18, 2010, 09:06 PM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

That’s so cool! I want to take a HP college course! Oh yeah, second! :) I would’ve been first if my computer wasn’t so slow……

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on August 18, 2010, 09:08 PM report to moderator
Untitled-1_thumb

Fantastic. Wish my uni offered such a class :)

Posted by Crom on August 18, 2010, 09:08 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

thts soo cool. im sure they will have a hp class by the time i get to college.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on August 18, 2010, 09:18 PM report to moderator
Potter_thumb

I would take that without hesitantion! So fantastic.

Posted by Sauvium ROAR!? on August 18, 2010, 09:22 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

I would LOVE to do a Harry Potter course! It would be the only thing i’d get an A* in! :D

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on August 18, 2010, 09:31 PM report to moderator

:D I hope my uni has that when i go :D

Posted by Jordanrod010 on August 18, 2010, 09:33 PM report to moderator
300

I want to go to that school now.

Posted by Hermione Granger -Weasley on August 18, 2010, 09:40 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I want to go to that school!!! NOW!! That is so cool…. I would actually like to go to school if I had that class. lol

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 18, 2010, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts-on-fire-harry-potter-13911978-1900-1200_thumb

More information on the Harry Potter class at Eastern Michigan University and how it came to be: http://www.emich.edu/univcomm/stories/story.php?id=1280325778

Posted by clayzy4hp on August 18, 2010, 10:07 PM report to moderator

omg this is soooo cool, i live half an hour from durham uni i will deffinatly be taking this class when i go to uni in 2 years time :D

Posted by KateHORIZON on August 18, 2010, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-2-movie-poster_thumb
1990 Points

awwww…..i want to take a class on hp!!! it would make school so much more fun :)

Posted by Bailee Shea on August 18, 2010, 11:03 PM report to moderator

More schools need to teach this.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on August 18, 2010, 11:05 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Thats really awesome many more college too should start this

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 19, 2010, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Boysoverflowers1_thumb

I hope this starts a revolution of colleges that create Harry Potter courses ;P

Posted by Siяiusly ℓöõnÿ ☼ROAR☼ on August 19, 2010, 01:02 AM report to moderator

"Why did I do it?" he said wildly. "I don't know what made me do it!"[br]"What?" said Harry.[br]"He -- er -- just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him," said Ginny. She looked as though she was fighting back a smile, but she kept patting Ron's