Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Snarry_thumb

you guys have to remember that she couldn’t do ANYTHING she wanted to her hair for a WHOLE FREAKING DECADE!!! Harry Potter basically took over her life and I think she missed so many opportunities that “normal” teens have that she just really wanted to catch up on them now. I don’t think it should be that big of a deal but she still looks amazing.

Posted by /Sav-vySlasher/ on August 09, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Buffy-last-gleaming-195x300_thumb

Very different from the Hermione look, but cute! Wonder what she’ll do next…

Posted by Meggie the Goose on August 09, 2010, 02:57 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Ah to each their own, she still looks gorgeous and if she’s happy which she seems to be I’m all for it. Plus it shows her versatility

Posted by KiwiMcI on August 09, 2010, 03:57 PM report to moderator

Emma pulled it off. It looks good, just as great as her longer hair!

Posted by SlugClub on August 09, 2010, 04:16 PM report to moderator

I’m glad she got the hair cut she wanted. I have really short hair, and I love it. She looks amazing!

Posted by 9em on August 09, 2010, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Caffiene_thumb

I agree with blackhawks88. I’m glad that she’s liking it. but to be honest, i thought she looked WAY better with longer hair. good luck emma!

Posted by Quidditchluver on August 09, 2010, 09:21 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

@DeliaDee i agree i don’t think this required to be mentioned in Leaky at all.
So i don’t think i should comment on it

Posted by blackhair on August 10, 2010, 12:03 AM report to moderator

When I saw it at first I thought, ‘Oh Love, what have you done?!’ However, she’s still the same Emma we all love so, get over it. It’s hair, it WILL grow back. (If she allows it, of course).

Posted by The Flying Lemon on August 10, 2010, 05:03 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_morals_3_by_mazza_909_thumb

She looks great in that haircut!:D

Posted by Lonewolf_ ^HISS^ on August 10, 2010, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

It’s a big change, but she still looks gorgeous!

Posted by millsashley09 on August 10, 2010, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

First, I know it’s not such a big deal but look how many comments there are. Anyway we’d hardly know Emma if Leaky didn’t tell us. Secondly, I like the haircut even though it made me look a few times at first though and I’m glad she’s so happy with it. :D

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on August 10, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Smokin_louie_thumb

What trouble I could get in with her!

Posted by SmokinLouie on August 10, 2010, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

Adorable! You look like Twiggy from the 1960s!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on August 10, 2010, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

She’s been ‘pixillated’!!!

Posted by Won_Two on August 12, 2010, 12:11 AM report to moderator
Ffavatar_thumb

This really suits her :) but seriously, a whole article devoted to her hair cut? ah well, it’s there to entertain us I guess ^^

Posted by Marie-Caroline on August 12, 2010, 04:38 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall bent forward over the bundle of blankets. Inside, just visible, was a baby boy, fast asleep. Under a tuft of jet-black hair over his forehead they could see a curiously shaped cut, like a bolt of lightning.