Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Deathly_hallows_nowhere_is_safe_poster_normal_thumb

i don’t like it I’m not saying she looks horrible but I don’t like her hair cut she totally stepped out of the Hermione she used to be. All I can say is, Really Emma? Really?! She was way better with longer hair

Posted by blackhawks88 on August 05, 2010, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

It looks nice!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 05, 2010, 05:51 PM report to moderator

I love it. She sort of reminds me of Twiggy in that picture.

Posted by KayWeasley on August 05, 2010, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I love her pixie haircut! I think she looks even more beautiful! I have always wanted to cut my hair that shirt but been too chicken to do it… lol

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 05, 2010, 05:52 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG! its amazing! it looks cute…but i was shocked!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on August 05, 2010, 06:00 PM report to moderator

I love it!

Posted by Dawna on August 05, 2010, 06:03 PM report to moderator
553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

WHY??? Her hair was so beautiful!
I wouldn’t have dared to do it, I almost didn’t dare to cut my hair shoulder-long. Now it’s longer again, and I love it!

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on August 05, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

I think she looks beautiful and to all those who think she should have kept it long, it’s HER hair not YOURS.

Posted by ProfessorAlice on August 05, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Image57_thumb

Personally, I liked her long hair better, but she still looks gorgeous. And I can see where she is coming from, if I were forced to keep my hair the same for a decade, I would want a drastic change to.

Posted by bookworm941 on August 05, 2010, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

Beautiful like always! I love you Emma!

Posted by AlecsWeasley on August 05, 2010, 06:09 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I absolutely love it. I think there is something so beautiful and impressive about a woman who can carry herself with short hair. It takes a certain confidence and class. Reminds me of Halle Berry.

What bothers me is how much news this is getting. Why is everyone reporting a haircut?! I guess it’s a big deal to her but for the rest of us? The bigger news to me is that she’s in New York to promote Deathly Hallows Part 1. What is that about? Can we hear more about that PLEASE?

Also, I really can’t stand how hateful a lot of the reactions are. Leave her alone! It must really suck to have the whole world judging your new do. People need to get over it. Who cares if you don’t like it. She loves it and that’s enough. It’s her hair.

People cut their hair all the time, and guess what…it grows back and you can cut it again!

Emma is gorgeous. It takes a strong, empowered woman to wear a cut that short and still feel feminine and sexy. She carries it well. Emma rocks.

Posted by eiVega on August 05, 2010, 06:09 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

im with owlsocks on this one

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on August 05, 2010, 06:12 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Emma’s new “do” is GREAT! VERY COOL.

I love Emma’s unpredictability. It’s very refreshing. Hey Emma, YOU GO GIRL!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on August 05, 2010, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Ukrain_cover_sm2_thumb

very courageous on her part. It’s a little too short, but as someone else said, it’s her hair. She still looks good.

I think it’s funny that she couldnt change her hair for 10 years, yet Dan’s hair was different for each movie. Remember the change between the shaggy HP4 and the clean-cut HP5?

Posted by heartless_wench on August 05, 2010, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Teddy_snape_thumb

I don’t dislike her new look, but I don’t like it either. I can see why she would want to do it, but I think she may have gone a little too far.

Posted by Hisss on August 05, 2010, 06:39 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Malfoy spent much of their next Potions class doing dementor imitations across the dungeon; Ron finally cracked and flung a large, slippery crocodile heart at Malfoy, which hit him in the face and caused Snape to take fifty points from Gryffindor.