Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Kyron_trucks_-_copy_thumb

Well I like it! Good for you Emma!

Posted by agentzac on August 06, 2010, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I’m amazed she cut it that short, but it looks great on her. She has beautiful eyes and the shorter hair really shows them. As someone who had long hair that tended to be Hermione bushy, I felt the same way when I cut my hair. I got the “oh, I loved your long hair!” Well, so did I, but it gave me headaches, it was hot in summer and took a long time to style. A friend who also had long thick hair, cut it short, put it in a paper bag and handed it to her boyfriend, saying, “Here, you like it so much, you can have it.” I don’t think he was amused, but I knew exactly how she felt.

Good for Emma! She looks terrific, whether her hair is long or short. And what the heck, short hair can be grown long again if she changes her mind. But she’s right, cutting your long hair is very liberating.

Posted by Eeyore on August 06, 2010, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Photo-69_thumb

It’s her hair, she can do what she wants to. And she’s right, she didn’t get to step out and do random stuff yet. I’m sure everyone of us can look back and remember doing something refreshingly independent.

Posted by RemusRox on August 06, 2010, 01:49 PM report to moderator

Now we know who’’ll play Twiggy when they do her story. Just make the eyes a little bigger.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on August 06, 2010, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

She’s gorgeous no matter what!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on August 06, 2010, 02:24 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

i was surprised when i heard about it, but then i saw the picture & said SHE’S SO PRETTY SHE CAN TOTALLY PULL IT OFF!! she can do anything really.

Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

She looks stunning! She’s right about not being able to change her hair around like normal teens do. It’s kind of bittersweet as she (as well as the others) are now free to move outside the world of Harry Potter and the characters they brought to life for us. I wonder what Burberry thinks?

Posted by Xyra44 on August 06, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Oh, so glad I’m not the only one who thought she resembled Twiggy. :) Thanks jeannemclROAR.

Posted by Xyra44 on August 06, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

Eeyore, your friend rocks !!

As for Emma – she looks absolutely gorgeous !!
As someone said before, the new cut totally brings out her lovely face and eyes !! Amazing !! Well done, Emma !!

Posted by siena on August 06, 2010, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

i agree with blackhawks88. what happened to the gorgeous hermione we knew? the new haircut just isnt my style. :’(

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on August 06, 2010, 02:44 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter___________________thumb

i dnt like it at alll.i miss the lng hair.

Posted by coolerthansnowcones on August 06, 2010, 02:51 PM report to moderator

I prefered her with her long beautiful locks, but its Emma! and she always looks wonderful, so just as long as she likes it :D

Posted by DDWatson on August 06, 2010, 03:16 PM report to moderator
Wicked_poster_by_pixarjunkie_thumb

Oooh!! I’m so happy for her. She looks great.

Posted by Scylla on August 06, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

I think i’m a little reluctant to accept it because I did something similar to Emma where I just got about 12 inches of hair cut off, it was a lot shorter than I was used to and the stylist just kind of messed it up so now I’m never cutting it short again. I have to admit it looks good on her, though.

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on August 06, 2010, 04:11 PM report to moderator
Hermione03_thumb

I think she´s pretty.
When I see her i was shoked and scared but now I think she is nice.
She looks so elegant

Posted by HerzeY on August 06, 2010, 04:44 PM report to moderator

"How extraordinarily like your father you are, Potter... He too was exceedingly arrogant. A small amount of talent on the Quidditch field made him think he was a cut above the rest of us too. Strutting around the place with his friends and admirers... The