Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

The_weasley_gang__finished_by_finangel_thumb

i liked it how it was but she could have made it much worst! But shes soo pretty she can pull anything off! lucky thing :P

Posted by cauldronbum on August 06, 2010, 04:59 PM report to moderator

Wow…120 or so comments on Ms. Watson’s haircut, and I guess I’m going to add to the mess. I believe Emma is beautiful no matter what, and that it’s perfectly fine for a person to experiment with cutting their hair, dyeing it, shaving it off completely, growing it down to their toes, whatever floats your boat. There are indeed a number of up-and-coming actresses who have decided to go for the pixie-cut (Mia Wasikowska, Carey Mulligan, etc) so Emma isn’t alone. This all reminds me a bit of the uproar over Keri Russell cutting her hair in the 2nd Season of Felicity, and how that one little act was blamed for plummeting ratings and the cancellation of the show.

Posted by critterfur on August 06, 2010, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

holy crap! i leave my labtop for a couple of days and this is what happens? i was really shocked at first at this haircut, but now i think she looks really nice! kudos to her!

Posted by hermy007 on August 06, 2010, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I really like it, it works well with her face.

Posted by Figment on August 06, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I really like it, it works well with her face.

Posted by Figment on August 06, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. what did she do?

Posted by MaggieNoise on August 06, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator

I love it! She can really rock the short hair. And I love the fact that she is basically like “Screw it, the movies are over, so I can do what I want”. I just wish people would stop being like “Ewww grow it back Emma!”, if I were her, I would be like “it is my head, leave me alone!”

Posted by jonk69 on August 06, 2010, 06:12 PM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

this look is just OK ,,, she looked great with long hair

Posted by hermy on August 06, 2010, 06:34 PM report to moderator
Johnnie_ret_thumb

Oh God!!! NOW I know that it’s all over… weeps. Emma always looks beautiful no matter how she wears her hair.

Posted by Gloria on August 06, 2010, 06:56 PM report to moderator

i LOVE it! i think it’s a great way to grow out of her role as Hermione and become more of an adult without become another Britney spears or Lindsey Lohan. i think it’s a great move! :-)

Posted by gabi_the_hufflepuff on August 06, 2010, 09:10 PM report to moderator

I thought the short haircut would grow on me after a day or so, but it has not. Emma looks terrible with her hair this short. She looks either like a boy or, worse, like she is sick.

Posted by Reader511 on August 06, 2010, 10:25 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Hope they don’t have to do any re-shoots of DH!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on August 06, 2010, 10:56 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_sep_056_thumb

my wife and i love the new look. we think it looks adorable. but what matters is that she likes it. so more power to her for finding something comfortable her herself. and it will be easier for her to take care of lol.

Posted by Armill (ROAR) on August 06, 2010, 11:55 PM report to moderator
Rjlswingmusic_thumb

Very nice! She looks beautiful with any hairstyle. :-)

Posted by moonysmusician on August 07, 2010, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

still looks good but im not digging it but hey whatever floats your boat. if she likes it thats all that matters

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on August 07, 2010, 12:27 AM report to moderator

Of course, his birthdays were never exactly fun -- last year, the Dursleys had given him a coat hanger and a pair of Uncle Vernon's old socks.