Reports: John Williams Will Compose Score for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

Williams
Posted by: Mel
September 14, 2010, 04:32 AM

Our friends at Potterish have gotten confirmation from Warner Bros. Brazil that composer John Williams, who wrote the music for the first three Harry Potter films, will return to score the final movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2." "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be scored by Alexandre Desplat.

Update: While this is indeed exciting news, we still await final conformation on this information from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest!

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be in theatres November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will come out on July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Williams News

@rush2112; Pleasure’s all mine. You’ll soon be able to laugh your head off at my next weepy post, following Williams’s official confirmation as Part II composer, as I bleat and howl at how the HP series has now been ruined, bla, bla, sob, sob, etc. etc. …

Posted by rotfang07 on September 17, 2010, 08:47 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I think this is great news! I understand the few voices of concern, but I have total confidence in this choice, and (obviously) I can’t wait to hear the results!

315475_491136950901884_1807119504_n_thumb

thats wonderfull news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by athena lupin on September 18, 2010, 11:11 AM report to moderator

I do not understand why people are so excited about Williams coming back for the final film. Yes, he made a great score…Hedwig’s Theme. John Williams is talented yes, but he can not do “Dark” music. Nicholas Hooper really captured the darkness of the films with his scores and he was also able to capture the humor without taking away from the acting scenes.
Movie scores are there to help bring out the emotion in the films…John Williams can not do that. His scores are too brash and brassy. I have a strong suspicion that I am going to be disappointed with the final score. Williams can not do battle scenes, and that is what the whole second film is…fighting!
Maybe he will learn something from Nicholas Hooper; keep it to strings and don’t use too much brass!

Posted by sony350 on September 18, 2010, 12:07 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Oh how I wish it had been possible to employ Howard Shaw for the final film, his scores for the LOTR films were just wonderful, and the music was so well fitted to the films, and the level was kept right for what was happening on screen, there was no sense of it ever overwhelming dialogue and emotional moments. John Williams scores can indeed overwhelm what is on screen, however he is capable of more subtlety and a composer should be working with the director for the overall effect to be what the director wants, surely that is what will happen, I look forward with interest to see what the combination of Yates and Williams produces.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on September 18, 2010, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Hg_thumb

Oh, I hope that this turns out to be true. I wish he were doing both parts, but it will be lovely to have him wrap up the series.

Posted by Chreechree on September 18, 2010, 11:00 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on September 19, 2010, 04:46 PM report to moderator
The_same_hermy_gif_thumb

YES! And I thought part 2 couldn’t be more EPIC.

Posted by Potter_Puella on September 19, 2010, 08:21 PM report to moderator
Avatars_books_house_may06_thumb

@Sony350: So you are saying that there are no “dark” parts in the star wars movies that JW scored? I may be misunderstanding or misremembering but I do believe that JW is capable of doing"dark" music. Maybe you have not heard some of his previous scores but I know that there were plenty of fight scenes in the other movies JW scored. Maybe you should remember that JW has done tons of action packed movies therefore he is capable of doing this music.
@Moglet: I agree that the scores for the LOTR series was well done but I don’t believe that Mr. Shaw would be able to do a proper send off for the HP series. He did all three films therefore he was able to do it all the same way and all the way he wanted but to come in at the end of the series would have been a wrong move.

JW started off this series and I believe that it is only fitting for him to finish us off. I think he will do all HP fans proud.

Posted by Issa on September 20, 2010, 03:53 PM report to moderator

"What are you doing Muggle Studies for?" said Ron, rolling his eyes at Harry. "You're Muggle-born! Your mum and dad are Muggles! You already know all about Muggles!"[br]"But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," said Hermio