Reports: John Williams Will Compose Score for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

Williams
Posted by: Mel
September 14, 2010, 04:32 AM

Our friends at Potterish have gotten confirmation from Warner Bros. Brazil that composer John Williams, who wrote the music for the first three Harry Potter films, will return to score the final movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2." "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be scored by Alexandre Desplat.

Update: While this is indeed exciting news, we still await final conformation on this information from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest!

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be in theatres November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will come out on July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Williams News

User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

OH THANK YOUUUUUU!! OMG fist pump YES!!!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on September 14, 2010, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Book_thumb

I have some similar concerns to rotfang. I must admit, I’m not an avid movie-goer but even I can tell when Williams is involved. His distinctive style, unfortunately, isn’t always appropriate for the movie and often becomes just “John Williams”.

That said, I don’t plan to take earplugs. I’m just going to go, hope for the best, and probably cry like a baby at least twice, regardless of what the background music is doing.

Posted by jillians642 on September 14, 2010, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Book_thumb

Oh, and I think everyone should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5_OSsawz4 . You’ll never hear John Williams the same again—-but it’ll be for the better (or for even better, if you’re already a die-hard fan).

Posted by jillians642 on September 14, 2010, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I LOVE John Williams!! He has composed the music for some of the best films ever made (HP and STAR WARS!!) I am glad to hear that he is coming back!!

Posted by JessSnape on September 14, 2010, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Morse_telegrapher_thumb

Fantastic!!! I look forward to hearing the music!

Posted by Phoenix1946 on September 14, 2010, 10:41 AM report to moderator

YESSSS!!!!

Posted by Mairéad on September 14, 2010, 10:42 AM report to moderator

@jillians642 – Oh, THANK YOU re –
lm*ao …

Posted by rotfang07 on September 14, 2010, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dude john wrote the best ones
wooo

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on September 14, 2010, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

THAT’S THE GREATEST NEWS that I ever have read since “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”. Welcome back to Harry Potter, Mr. John Towner Williams ! He compose the most fascinating, manifold and intoxicating scores!

Posted by Dirk Cresswell on September 14, 2010, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I was soo happy when i read this this morning. I LOVED his scores.. :) i just cant wait

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on September 14, 2010, 11:21 AM report to moderator
Jordan_thumb

While I understand rotfang’s sentiments, I must say that I am thrilled by this announcement. I feel that Mr. Williams’ grandiose, orchestral style fits Harry’s world perfectly.

When you listen to his scores for films like E.T., Jurassic Park and even bits of Star Wars, it is clear that Williams is a master at adding a sense of mystery and magic to what can be very dark subject matter. He does, indeed have a very definite (some say, repetitive) style but I believe that Williams knows how to perfectly adapt that style to suit the style of the film. His work for A.I. was not bombastic or frantic but sweet and innocent and his score for Prisoner of Azkaban is, in my mind, one of his best.

Most of all, I like the idea of Williams “bookending” the film series, musically. I think that he will masterfully weave the themes he created for the first three films (hopefully not excluding the wonderful work by his successors) into a tapestry of sound that will compliment the final film beautifully.

Is it 2011 yet?

Posted by Jordan Edwards on September 14, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

YESSSSSS!!! Even though I liked “When Ginny Kissed Harry” and “Harry and Hermione,” I loved “A Window To The Past,” “Harry’s Wonderous World,” and “Fawkes the Phoenix”!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on September 14, 2010, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_doujinshi_sm_letras_thumb

this is fantastic news!!! finally we’ll get musical perfection like in PoA. =)

Posted by pigmypuffa [ROAR] on September 14, 2010, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357_thumb

I hope it’s true POA was great and it would be nice continuity. You know what’s cool? We know they’re going to have the scene in DH pt II where Ron and Hermione go into the Chamber of Secrets. It would be cool if Williams reprises the same music as when they opened the entrance in the bathroom in the second movie! I loved that musical cue.

Posted by Fastbak on September 14, 2010, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Mj-myleaky_thumb

Finally! John Williams returns to Harry Potter! The perfect way to end the series. His music for Harry Potter is THE definitive soundtrack, and it is fitting that he should be involved in the end.

Posted by MJedi on September 14, 2010, 11:48 AM report to moderator

"You wait, when I'm seventeen --"[br]"I'm sure you'll dazzle us all with hitherto unsuspected magical skills," yawned Fred.[br]"And speaking of hitherto unsuspected skills, Ronald," said George, "what is this we hear from Ginny about you and a young lady

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014