Reports: John Williams Will Compose Score for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

Williams
Posted by: Mel
September 14, 2010, 04:32 AM

Our friends at Potterish have gotten confirmation from Warner Bros. Brazil that composer John Williams, who wrote the music for the first three Harry Potter films, will return to score the final movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2." "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be scored by Alexandre Desplat.

Update: While this is indeed exciting news, we still await final conformation on this information from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest!

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be in theatres November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will come out on July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Williams News

To whoever made this monumental decision, may I just say -
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Posted by Jillxoxo on September 14, 2010, 10:20 PM report to moderator

I just can’t believe it. I’m beyond elated! i did a little excited scream and a wriggle. I am SO pleased and i can’t wait to hear it.

Posted by Marcus175 on September 14, 2010, 10:21 PM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

Brilliant!

Posted by Silvery Doe on September 14, 2010, 10:32 PM report to moderator

YES! I have been hoping that this would be the case!! John Williams is such a talented composer and is, and has been, perfect for the Harry Potter films!

Posted by themagicalme on September 14, 2010, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

@ silvery doe – I agree, the shrunken heads = major fail. That being said – HOLY COW THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!! I cannot wait to hear the music he designs to background while McGonagall shepherds he herd of desks to “Charge!”

Posted by Bless_the_children on September 14, 2010, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

awesome..

Posted by splinch on September 15, 2010, 02:15 AM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

i really hope its true!

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on September 15, 2010, 03:17 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That is would be great news for the score.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on September 15, 2010, 03:49 AM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

The fact that ‘rotfang’ calls Hooper ‘the best composer of the series’ must mean he is deaf to begin with, even without the earplugs, so we can disregard anything else he says.

Posted by Joost on September 15, 2010, 06:54 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

My sentiments exactly Jordan Edwards I am just so looking forward to hearing John Williams’ music. His is one of the best if not “The best” in music. I love hearing his music. I don’t feel it drowns out parts of the HP film but in fact brings out the very essence of the book. I hope the rumor is true that he will be composing the music for HPDH pt II. I believe it would definitely enhance the movie

Posted by molly43 on September 15, 2010, 08:26 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My reaction :#$#%%^@$

Posted by vandy[FTC] on September 15, 2010, 09:00 AM report to moderator

Thank God! the last few soundtracks have been pretty bad

Posted by noxiousCaitSith on September 15, 2010, 09:31 AM report to moderator

also in response to someone else. yeah some of john williams stuff is similar. a few star wars and harry potter scores have a few parts that sound alike. but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. there are other famous composers whose work you could identify by hearing some of their other music. he has done a lot of other work too. the schindler’s list score was amazing.

Posted by noxiousCaitSith on September 15, 2010, 09:45 AM report to moderator

Wow, Rotfang….didn’t we have this conversation a few months ago, when the mere possibility of John Williams composing the Harry Potter finale made you blow a proverbial gasket? The whole anti-Hollywood tirade, the whole strange mess about John Williams being SO LOUD. I didn’t quite understand your arguments then, and I guess I still don’t now. How many films scored by Williams have you actually seen? I’m just curious because your arguments don’t hold a lot of water, factually. The guy has proven in the past that he can do quiet, subtle scores, minimalist scores, as well as the big Hollywood blockbusters. Do you really believe the last film in the Potter series, with its massive battles (which will likely take up over half of the film’s running time) should contain a score which features one lonely violin playing a depressing tune? This film will not be minimalist…the book itself was not minimalist, you know? As far as I can see, the vast majority of Potter fans posting on here love the idea of Williams returning. Yates would not “cave” to WB…WB has shown that they are willing to go the extra mile in pleasing J.K. Rowling, by taking risks on people like Yates and Hooper in the first place (with really only television experience being on their resumes), and bowing to Rowling’s wishes to have only Brits cast in the roles (even Lord of the Rings didn’t do that). Yates would be given his choice of composer, and he obviously wanted John Williams back on this last film. So give it a blessed rest already…yeesh…

Posted by critterfur on September 15, 2010, 09:59 AM report to moderator

Sigh…I’m going to retract some of my statement above, after reading a few other Potter news sites…It looks like I got over-excited and overly-optimistic, because now I’m reading articles which state that the composer for the second Hallows movie is still unknown (it has NOT been confirmed to be Desplat, like some other posters on here have suggested…he’s only confirmed for Part One). So I guess it’s still a waiting game…as far as I know, the only real reason Williams wouldn’t do the score is because of a scheduling conflict, because in past interviews he has said he’s totally up for it, the producers of the series have stated they were courting Williams to do it, and even Hooper seemed to indicated that he wanted the “master” (as he put it) to return to the series. So we’ll see…

Posted by critterfur on September 15, 2010, 10:17 AM report to moderator

"You wouldn't believe how many people, even people who work at the Ministry, can't do a decent Shield Charm," said George. "'Course, they didn't have you teaching them, Harry."