Harry Potter Ultimate Edition Blu-rays Coming Soon to the UK

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
October 12, 2011, 12:03 AM

According to new listings on the HMV website, Blu-ray Ultimate Editions of the first six Harry Potter films will soon be coming to the UK. Up until recently, these collector's editions have only been available in the U.S.

HMV currently lists the release date for the Ultimate Editions as 14 November 2011 ("Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" through "Half-Blood Prince").

The Ultimate Editions come with three discs: the film, bonus features, and a special documentary series called "Creating the World of Harry Potter." Also included in the package is a picture book with rare concept art and film stills and limited edition character cards.

A release date for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" and "Part 2" in the Ultimate Edition format has not yet been revealed for either country.

Thanks to Leaky reader Adam for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Am I the only one that finds it extremely odd that the UK wouldn’t already have this available? I am from the US, don’t get me wrong, I love having loads of choices in HP movies, but it all started in the UK—shouldn’t they get it first?!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on October 12, 2011, 02:14 PM report to moderator

As to which features on the Ultimate Editions are new and which have already been on previous releases…As far as I can tell, the only new bits on the Ultimate Editions of the first two Potter movies (Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets) are the Chris Columbus visual commentaries and the two documentaries (one on the casting and making of the 1st film in particular, and another which is all about the various characters in the Harry Potter universe (and includes the original screen tests for Evanna Lynch as Luna and Jessie Cave as Lavender Brown, which are both pretty funny), plus each Ultimate Edition comes with its own mini-book of pictures, ranging from photos of sets to cast pictures to concept art. There’s also a little bit on the Ultimate Edition of Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone which shows the screen tests for little Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson. Besides those features, most of what you get on the Ultimate Editions has been released before (although I think you get a few extra “making of” specials that weren’t available on the previous DVDs or Blu-Rays). But you do get all the trailers that were released, all the deleted scenes (and with the first two Ultimate Editions you have the option of watching the deleted scenes incorporated into the films). Then with each of the Ultimate Editions from Prisoner of Azkaban and on, you always get a new documentary on each movie (usually at least an hour long if not longer), plus a new booklet, plus all the making-of specials, deleted scenes, etc. If you already have the films on Blu-Ray (which were released even before there were Ultimate Editions) I still think these Ultimate Editions have more stuff, since they include everything that was on the Blu-Rays but also stuff from the old DVDs (although that stuff isn’t in High-Definition like the films and the new documentaries). I personally really like the Ultimate Editions, although they are pretty bulky (at least 3 discs for each movie, plus the booklet and some character cards, equals a lot of space needed on my shelf for 6 of them).

Posted by critterfur on October 12, 2011, 02:57 PM report to moderator

As to the UK getting things first simply because the phenomenon originated from there…well, I don’t know if that’s actually “fair”. What would be fair is the UK, US, and everyone else getting these things at the same time. Problem is, when it comes to DVDs and Blu-Rays, the world is split up into different regions, and sometimes players from one region won’t play movies from another region. I don’t know if that’s the reason for the delay or what. You also have to take into account the fact that Warner Brothers, an American company, put up all the money to create the films in the first place, and gave J.K. Rowling an unprecedented amount of creative control over how the movies were cast and filmed. So it’s their decision in the end when it comes to “movie stuff” versus “book stuff”.

Posted by critterfur on October 12, 2011, 03:02 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

@critterfur- sorry that my comment offended you. I need to remember to keep my opinions to myself on here, since it is so easy to offend.

Again, my apologies.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on October 12, 2011, 03:47 PM report to moderator

That is so great! I really want one! :D

Posted by . on October 12, 2011, 04:53 PM report to moderator

@Want to be a Weasley – Oh, I wasn’t offended at all. I’m sorry if I got a bit terse in my post; I didn’t mean to seem that way. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions, and I wouldn’t want anyone to think they couldn’t post whatever they thought or felt. I just thought I’d respond to that particular post, but it’s nothing personal at all. I was just brainstorming as to why the UK hasn’t gotten the Ultimate Editions yet, because I’m curious, too.

Posted by critterfur on October 12, 2011, 06:50 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Darn… I only have a green-ray…

Posted by Won_Two on October 12, 2011, 07:11 PM report to moderator

LOL Won-Two, and my husband was just talking about pink-rays.

I only expected the Ultimate editions to have extra documentaries, not extended films. I could watch HP documentaries forever. Now what I want to know is whether it’s worth buying these as well as the Complete box set that’s due to be released next year.

All I want’s one mega box set with everything in it. It’s hard to know whether to wait or not.

Posted by anne1 on October 13, 2011, 11:45 AM report to moderator

forgot to say thanks to critterfur for explaining what the ultimate editions have on them

Posted by anne1 on October 13, 2011, 11:46 AM report to moderator

@ anne1…Well, I’m not sure what exactly is going to be included on the upcoming box set, so I’m not sure if you should wait or not. There are plenty of people who are waiting for a set which has “everything”, but the problem there is that Warner Brothers are going to want to milk this franchise for everything they can (especially since, at this point, there will never be another Harry Potter film). I must have bought the Star Wars trilogy at least 5 times in my life (first as letterboxed VHS editions back in 1992 or so, then as the re-mastered VHS editions, then I saw the Special Editions in the theater and bought them on both VHS and eventually Laserdisc, then the DVDs that were released, and most recently the Blu-Ray set), and even out of all that, I don’t think George Lucas has included “everything” he can in the sets; it seems he always has some previously unreleased documentary or scene or updated version of the films to include. I figure WB will follow the same tactic, releasing many versions of Harry Potter over the years, and there will always be something to entice both old and new viewers into buying yet another set or edition.

Posted by critterfur on October 13, 2011, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

I need the price of these things.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 15, 2011, 05:05 AM report to moderator
Shaw__4__thumb

Bloody Blu-Ray…

grumbles incoherently

Posted by HogwartsForever on October 17, 2011, 11:15 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

There’s so much to buy!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 03, 2011, 05:09 PM report to moderator

"The Minister was just telling me about your lucky escape, Potter," drawled Mr. Malfoy. "Quite astonishing, the way you continue to wriggle out of very tight holes... [i]Snakelike,[/i] in fact..."