Video: J. K. Rowling Discusses the Possibility of Killing Ron While Writing the Harry Potter Books

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 28, 2011, 09:41 PM

Video has made its way online from the special features on the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Blu-ray DVD showing a moment from the Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and J.K. Rowling sit down interview where the author talks about the possibility of killing the character of Ron while writing the series.  Ms. Rowling explains that during a not so "very happy place" mid way through writing the series, she "started thinking [she] might punish one of them off."  In explaining her choice of character, she adds:

"In my absolute heart of hearts of hearts – although I did seriously consider Ron. Anyway, I can tell you it’s a real relief to talk about it."
The full fifty-seven second video clip from the interview can be watched right here:

Thanks to Hypable for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

If you think that Hermione would ever look at Draco in a romantic light, or in any positive way at all, you’ve clearly horribly misunderstood the books.

Anyway, so good she didn’t kill off Ron or any other member of trio, I would have stopped reading the books right there.

Posted by j@m on October 30, 2011, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Emma_rupert_leaves_2006_thumb

SO ironic… when JK came out & said that one of the main characters would die, I thought it would be Ron. I thought we’d get to the final book (or close) & he would die trying to save Hermione’s life as a chivarlous & selfless act of love for her. I was peeing my pants reading her torture scene with Bellatrix for the first time, thinking that was it. SO ironic that she considered it. But it wouldn’t have been OK in the end if the trio had been broken so I’m glad that didn’t happen.

Posted by blessedb28 on October 31, 2011, 01:49 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

Kill Ron?????? Am I glad that didn’t happen that would have broken the hearts of many potterheads.

Posted by mencia on October 31, 2011, 02:22 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Thank GOD she changed her mind! Honestly, if she had seriously killed him, not only would it not made any sense with the plot, but it would have just made me overall extremely unhappy with the entire series. I probably wouldn’t be as big a fan; to watch Ron grow up throughout the books and then suddenly die? That’s harsh.
It also just wouldn’t have done any characters any good, obviously, especially not Harry. I feel that, if Ron had been killed off, Harry wouldn’t be as good of heart anymore. He would have gone into that battle with Voldemort ready to seriously murder him for purely personal reasons, not just get rid of him for all of the wizarding world. He would have become like the DEs. He wouldn’t be afraid to use the Unforgivable Curses and such; he used Unforgivables when Sirius and Dumbledore died, imagine how he’d react when his absolute best friend died? It would have completely corrupted and destroyed him. It would hang over him completely until the day he died and I don’t think he’d ever truly reach that happy ending that he needed.
And don’t even get me started on how utterly devastated and destroyed Hermione would be. I don’t want to go there. That’s too heart-wrenching.

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on October 31, 2011, 11:29 AM report to moderator
From_start_to_finish_by_tian_cai-d33cmh1_thumb

omg i wonder why she would consider that? that is gob smacking. i loved ron as a character because he always brought the humor! i am glad she didn’t though because then who would hermione marry? XD

Posted by handhrfan18 on October 31, 2011, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Yeah she must have just been killing herself not being able to talk to anyone about what was happening! I hate that feeling when you know something about a book and you just HAVE to talk about it but you can’t because it would be full of spoilers and that would just ruin the book for everyone else! I’m really glad she didn’t kill Ron, I’d have been so depressed I think I’d probably cry for hours afterwards.

Posted by Jacket on November 01, 2011, 07:59 PM report to moderator

wow i’d never think one of the main characters would die..i didnt think she could do that, hahahahaha

Posted by lubnadreamsbig on November 02, 2011, 09:33 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I don’t know if I would have finished reading the series if Ron or Hermione had been killed off.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on November 02, 2011, 10:39 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

no that would have been too bad

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 26, 2011, 11:17 PM report to moderator

"Well -- now don't get upset, Molly, but Augustus Pye had an idea... He's the Trained Healer, you know, lovely young chap and very interested in... um... complementary medicine... I mean, some of these old Muggle remedies... well, they're called [i]stitch

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014